Don’t Wash… Just Powder Your Hair!

Washing your hair daily will dry out your hair, scalp, and cause static especially during the cold winter months.

While I know it’s not advised to wash my hair everyday… how could I not?! After just one day, I’m left with clumpy, flat, and oily hair. Gross!

So I set out on a mission to find a dry shampoo that can help eliminate the need for daily washing.

Warning: Some gross oily hair pictures up ahead… I didn’t wash my hair for almost 3 days. I wanted to really put the products to the test. Don’t try this at home. 😉

Here are the 4 contenders:

Oscar Blandi- Dry Shampoo                       Oscar Blandi- Dry Shampoo Spray

Ojon Rub-Out Dry Cleansing Spray            Suave Dry Shampoo Spray

1) Oscar Blandi- Dry Shampoo (2.5 oz for $19)
Not gonna waste much time on this. I hated it. It’s messy and left my head with patchy white areas even after repeated patting and brushing.

2) Oscar Blandi- Volumizing Dry Shampoo Spray (5 oz for $23)
Has a lemony smell and was easy to apply. Just shake, point and spray 6-8 inches from the scalp while tossing your hair. This product had the least amount of the white powder left behind in my hair.

The results were good. It’s not as thorough as washing your hair of course, but it got the ugly oily clumps out.  Instead of looking like 2-3 days of not washing, it looked more like 1 day of not washing.

Oscar Blandi Before:

Oscar Blandi After:

3) Ojon Rub-Out Dry Cleansing Spray (4.1 oz for $24)
Smell reminds me of tea tree, but I’m probably smelling the “soap bark tree” as marked on the bottle.  The application was the same as Oscar Blandi’s spray. There was a little bit of visible white powder on my hair, but was easy to remove. Just simply pat out or brush.

I would have to say that the results and experience were comparable to Oscar Blandi’s. Not much different.. just the smell and price.

Ojon Before:

Ojon After:

4) Suave Dry Shampoo Spray (5 oz for about $3)
This spray has a sweet smell which I liked. Surprisingly, it was also comparable to Ojon and Oscar Blandi’s sprays. Suave had a little of the white powder left behind, but it was also easy to pat/brush away. I don’t have before and after pictures for this product but for $3, you really can’t go wrong.

Best Pick:

I recommend the Suave Dry Shampoo Spray!~
The application and results for all 3 sprays were comparable… so might as well go for the best value. Each of the sprays won’t last a long time, so it’s a good idea to go with the $3 bottle. While Ojon and Suave needed a little patting on the head to get rid of the extra white powder, it wasn’t a big deal. When it’s time to wash your hair, just be sure to pay extra attention to your scalp where the powder may have settled.

Tip: Try planning your hairstyle around your wash schedule.
Day 1 (Wash Day): Style and wear your hear down since you’ll have the most volume on this day.

Day 2: Spray a little of the dry shampoo and pull back 1/2 your hair or clip some of your hair back.
Day 3: Spray the dry shampoo and try wearing a braid or pulling your hair back into a ponytail since your hair will lack volume.

Hope you’re enjoyed this review! If you’ve tried dry shampoo, be sure to let us know what you thought.

Facebook – Stay informed!
Twitter– Tweet me. I want to hear from you.
Bloglovin– Easiest way to follow Pretty Gossip and all your favorite blogs.

1. Jane
    October 12, 2013 / 4:36 pm

Hello, I have naturally loose curls and my scalp gets oily very quickly. If I used powder instead of washing, how should I style it (2nd day hairstyles for loose curls)?

2. Renee
    March 20, 2013 / 7:30 am

I hear the batiste is hard to find and I’ve never been able to find it in my area but if anyone is wanting to try it it is on groupon right now 2 cans for 6 bucks, I’m gonna give it a try I’ve used the suave and gonna check cvs for the new one you recommended the suave runs out to fast. thanks just found this through pintrest today, really digging the ideas, tomorrow I will have beach waves!

• March 20, 2013 / 12:47 pm

Hi Renee! You might want to check out Not Your Mother’s Dry Shampoo. It’s currently my favorite! Click HERE for photos and my complete review!

3. December 5, 2011 / 6:23 pm

I haven’t tried any of these yet, but I regularly use, on Day 2, Silk Powder (like you would find from a mineral makeup company for use as a setting powder)……. It works fabulously, no scent and even gives my hair some volume again. At least, it works for me! Good post:)

• December 5, 2011 / 7:25 pm

Thanks for sharing! I use a black eyeshadow too to set the liner especially if I’m lining my waterline. Hope you had a good Monday!~~~

• December 6, 2011 / 8:10 am

Lol! I meant that I use Silk Powder as a dry shampoo. 🙂 And my Monday was beautiful; I hope yours was2! 🙂 🙂

4. November 18, 2011 / 9:00 am

i’ve tried Batiste so far and it’s not bad…takes a while to get all the smell out. hair does “feel” clumpy after doing it for 2 days but didn’t LOOK clumpy. my friend also recommended Salon Grafix so i’m gonna try that next! AND your suave rec as well… 🙂

5. November 11, 2011 / 6:57 pm

About 7 years ago, prior to the invention of dry shampoo, my friends and I used to use baby powder between washes. Being that I bleach my hair platinum the white of the baby powder used to also work as a sneaky disguise for roots that were growing out but just weren’t quite long enough to redo yet. Of course, if you went too overboard with the baby powder (trust me, there’s a fine line), not only did you smell like a nursery, but you had lumpy residue hair. Thank goodness there is now a better way!

I’m going to try the Suave you mentioned because I only wash twice per week due to keeping my hair platinum and also because it is very long. Since it’s only really the scalp that gets dirty (not the length) this should work like a charm!

6. November 11, 2011 / 3:04 pm

Awesome post! I’ve been wanting to try a dry shampoo but haven’t wanted to invest in one and I wasn’t sure if Suave would work. Now I can’t wait to try it!

• November 12, 2011 / 1:27 am

Thanks! I hear (from my pretty readers) that John Frieda Volume Refresher is good, and Salon Grafix sold at Walmart is good too! Let me know how things work out!

7. November 10, 2011 / 6:51 pm

Suave works well, but I find that it runs out really really quickly. Might want to give Salon Grafix a try! It’s $5 at walmart.

8. Linda
    November 9, 2011 / 10:44 am

I’ve heard about dry shampoo and was kinda curious. But I don’t like adding anything to my hair. I think this product will be useful for people who go on missions and can’t take a shower for days. ha!

• November 9, 2011 / 12:53 pm

Didn’t think of that but you’re right! Would also be great for camping too!

9. gina
    November 9, 2011 / 12:07 am

in a bind i just use baby powder! you have to be really careful cuz it can leave globs of white in your hair, but it works pretty well and it smells like…well…baby powder!

• November 9, 2011 / 12:26 am

I’ve done this too! hahaha… but you’re right. It does leave white patches… but better than nothing I suppose. 🙂

10. Hannah
    November 8, 2011 / 10:27 pm

I hated Oscar Blandi too! Ojon was ok. So far my fav is John Frieda Volume Refresher. No white spots at all! 🙂

• November 8, 2011 / 11:53 pm

Good to know! I will have to check it out!

• Hannah
        November 9, 2011 / 3:06 pm

Or I use translucent loose face powder. Works pretty well and it’s not white white

11. Debbie M.
    November 8, 2011 / 7:13 pm

I used Oscar Blandi as well but it was too $$$. Right now I use Batiste Blush Dry Shampoo (sold at Ricky’s and other drug stores: $10). I still get a little white powder but the smell is nice and the price is good. I’ll def try Suave next!

• November 8, 2011 / 8:42 pm

Thanks for sharing! I’ll have to try it next time!