The line up today: Pencil, liquid, cake, and gel eyeliners.
Eyeliner smudges can make you look messy, tired, and crazy at times. It’s important to find the right eyeliner that works for you and the look you’re going for.
Here’s my opinion on just a few eyeliners and the best way to apply them. Hope this helps you find your perfect liner. 😉
1. Make Up For Ever. Aqua Eyes. Waterproof Eyeliner Pencil in #10.
- It tugged at my skin and was a bit difficult to get a clean line with one motion.
- Had to apply using small little strokes but wasn’t able to achieve the clean line I was looking for.
- Think it’s one of the best pencil liners out there in terms of smudge-proof-ness… but I wouldn’t use it on a daily basis. Personally just not a big of a fan of pencil liners.
- A good option if you’re going for a smokey eye or a look where you didn’t have to be too precise.
2. Stila. Stay All Day. Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner in Black.
- Felt tip takes some getting used to. The eyeliner applies even with the slightest touch so you really need a steady hand.
- If you have a steady hand, it’s great for precision… but not good for filling in between lashes.
- Dries slightly shiny… Great if you’re looking for a more dramatic look.
- Pretty smudge proof and waterproof.
3. Laura Mercier. Eyeliner in Black Ebony.
- To apply, take a wet brush directly to the liner. I was a bit worried about using a wet brush to a dry cake… but I’ve had mine for some time now and it’s fine.
- Love that you can build up the color and thickness at your own pace.
- Just use the length of the brush to dab on the liner on and in between your lashes. Doesn’t feel like you’re drawing freehand… It’s more like “stamping.”
- Great for everyday wear, but not waterproof so I don’t recommend wearing on a hot day.
- Below is a comparison between a light and heavy loaded brush. Play around to find your perfect proportion of water and color.
4. Bobbi Brown. Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner. Black Ink 1.
- Big fan of this eye liner. I apply the stamping technique with my angled brush and build up to how dark/thick I want it to look.
- I like to lightly moisten my brush before loading the liner to the brush. I find this makes it easier to apply.
- After I load the brush with the liner, I use the inside of the cap to swipe the brush a couple of times on either side. I do this to: (1) get the liner evenly distributed on the brush (2) get rid of excess liner on the brush (3) to get the brush to a nice crisp point.
- It’s one of the most smudge proof eyeliners I’ve tried. Once it’s dried… it’s there to stay.
- If I’m going out and know it’s going to be a long day/night… this is my eyeliner of choice.
So what’s the eyeliner I would choose if I had to just pick one? Bobbi Brown. I’m able to use the length of the brush and ‘stamp’ my way across the waterline for a clean and precise look. Also, great for dramatic looks as well because it won’t smudge! 😉What’s your favorite?