How Boob Cream Changed My Life.

I wrote Lip Saver in hopes of finding a solution to my chronically dry lips, or at least to start a discussion of what other people have experienced. Never did I think it would lead me to Boob Cream. I wondered… why hadn’t I thought of using boob cream before? I’ve tried just about everything else including diaper rash cream?!? But then again, I don’t have kids and have never needed to moisturize my nipples. 😉 hahaha.

I walked into Babies R Us, sought out a female employee, and sheepishly asked where I could find “boob cream.” She looked puzzled and I thought, “Oh God, please don’t announce it on the PA system!” A second later, she laughed and showed me where the boob cream was (aka Lansinoh). I hurried home, and excitedly applied the boob cream on my lips. As soon as I put it on, I thought… “where have you been all my life!?!”

Lansinoh is similar to Vaseline and Aquaphor, but much thicker in consistency. It’s an extremely dense ointment and acts as a barrier to lock in moisture. Other lip moisturizers have lanolin in it too, but in smaller doses mixed with a lot of other ingredients. Lansinoh is just pure lanolin in it’s purest and preservative free form.

I recommend warming it up between (clean) fingers before applying. It can be quick difficult to apply right out of the bottle to apply because it’s so thick.

So it works great, but was it safe to digest lanolin? Then it occurrs to me (!) that if it’s safe for a baby to digest, it’s probably safe for me too.

Here are the lip moisturizers that were in my makeup bag today (excluding colored lip glosses):

Crazy lip balm lady right? Now that I have Lansinoh in my life, I think I’ll reduce it just to that… and maybe a lip gloss. 😉

This is exactly why I started PrettyGossip. I wanted to be able to discuss and share with people all the things that help us feel and look pretty. Boob cream is definitely helping me feel pretty and confident today. If this post has helped you or you know someone who suffers from dry lips, please share this post.

A huge thank you to kelizabethr, a pretty gossiper and fellow blogger, who introduced me to the “Boob Cream.”

Related Posts:
I Tattooed My Eyebrows!
Hairspray Your Lashes!~
Pepto Bismol: Mask or Blush Tint?
Cleanser vs. Waterproof Eyeliner (part 2)
BB Cream: Airbrush in a Bottle.  (Part II)

1. Tiffany Buck
    September 12, 2016 / 2:15 pm

Like you, I found lanolin while breastfeeding. I also have a lip balm/gloss addiction. I ‘ve tried everything for my lips, high end and low end products. Nothing works better than lanolin. Recently I have started making my own tinted lanolin lip balm with only 3 ingredients : lanolin, essential oil, and mica. It has turned out beautifully.

2. Michelle
    June 2, 2016 / 1:10 am

I have terrible eye allergies that cause me to rub my eyes in a very rough manner as my last resort. My eyes got so bad that they were extremely red and dry (cracked skin) around my entire eye area. I honestly did not get out of my house for 4 days, it looked that bad 🙁 I looked up natural remedies since my skin is beyond sensitive and nothing seemed to work. I then remembered lanolin as a key ingredient in some crazy expensive lib balm I had seen at sephora. Which led me to remember previously buying a baby lip balm for my 1 year old, I read the ingredients and lanolin was one of them. I drowned my eye area with it!!! I honestly feel like that saved my life! I’m not exaggerating, I was running out of options and patience. My redness and EXTREMELY dry skin cleared up after that day! I’m still going to see an allergist, but for now this was & is my life-saver.

• June 2, 2016 / 7:50 am

I’m so sorry to hear about your eyes. I would seriously recommend you go see an eye doctor. I say this because I have severe eye allergies to dust, pollen and everything else in the air. The doctor prescribed me an antihistamine eye drops to help with my constantly dry, red, itchy eyes. Please go see a doctor. The drops helped a lot. Best of luck to you!!! Xoxo

3. Stacy
    March 6, 2016 / 5:29 am

I also use Lanisoh for my lips or if I get a really dry patch of skin somewhere!

Another strange remedy for cold sufferers with sore, red noses or those with kids who keep sucking or licking their lips in the winter & end up looking like Kylie Jenner’s shot glass lips— CANESTEN CREAM. Yes! The cream you get in the kit when you have a yeast infection (or you can purchase a tube of just the cream!)

Put it on for a couple nights (after they go to sleep, if you have to trick them) It’s moisturizing, it reduces the prickly, itchy sensation that makes them want to keep licking the spot & if it’s made to apply to the sensitive lady parts, I wouldn’t think there would be a problem with lips & noses!

• March 6, 2016 / 10:00 pm

Interesting! I’ve never heard this before. Thanks for sharing your insight! Hope you’ll visit my site often. 🙂

4. Katie
    November 28, 2015 / 5:51 am

I had to comment on this because of the picture you posted with all the lip products in your purse. If that ain’t a relatable story for a chronic chapped lip sufferer I don’t know what is! I can go through all of my coat pockets right now and I bet there is a tube or two in each of them. Bathroom, kitchen, office…. it’s the worst! I have been using pure lanolin but have not yet found a way to bring it along with me so I have got to check out this boob cream. Thanks!

5. Brenda
    October 29, 2015 / 8:53 am

I don’t recommend Blistex Lip Medix.I have used that for a long time and in the past few months it hasn’t been kind.It caused the skin around my lips to become painfully red and irritated(a couple of times to the point of seeping!)and my lips to become very sore.After research I have found that any lip balm containing camphor,menthol and the like are not good for your lips.They feel good at first but,with continued use,can actually DRY out your lips!I am like you,now,trying all kinds of balms but most irritate(to a degree)and I have to stop using.I think I may try the “boob cream”.Can’t hurt.

6. Anne Harpe
    October 20, 2015 / 12:06 pm

I am so happy to hear about the “boob” Lansinoh. My lips are so dry they crack and bleed. I use an exfoliating cream and then any kind of cream I can find that I think will help. Thanks for the information, we spend so much money on things that do not work. Nice to hear about the ones that do.

• November 4, 2015 / 6:20 pm

I’m a long sufferer of dry lips so I hope this helps you! Especially during the winter, it can be brutal. Good luck and please let me know how it works for you! xoxo

7. April 11, 2014 / 9:59 am

Do you think Asians are more likely to suffer from dry lips? Or is it a coincidence?

8. Marie
    January 20, 2014 / 1:53 pm

Love the title !! I have been using this for 13 years, since I first used it for my nips after my daughter was born. It is amazing ! I thought I was the only one since anyone I mentioned it to thought I was nuts. The only thing is dont use other lip products that dry your lips or you will never get ahead. I have found many lip glosses and lipsticks dry my lips out like crazy, and it takes a few days of Lansinoh only to make them better. Its hard to know what will dry you lips out, so many brands do. I have had good luck with Lush lip balms, Hurraw lip balms, Clinique gloss, Lancome gloss, cheap gloss from Victoria Secret, and Princepessa Gloss. Thanks for publishing this, I am convinced it is many of the lip products that dry out our lips in the first place.

• Kay
      August 6, 2014 / 3:52 pm

Pure lanolin is the cheapest way to go. NOW sells a small 7 oz container for $7. compared to Lasinoh which is closer to $10. for a measly 1.5 oz.

9. Davon
    December 30, 2013 / 9:19 pm

Thanks much for sharing, I used this when I breastfed my son a million years ago. Because of genetics, I have lips that could cut a loaf of bread in the winter. I exfoliate, moisturize, and stay hydrated, all to no avail. I’m trying this one now!

• December 31, 2013 / 2:59 am

Hi… I really hope this helps you. I suffer from severely dry lips too so I understand the pain and embarrassment it can cause. Another thing that helps a lot is (as strange as it sounds) La Mer’s Creme De La Mer. Not the lip balm but the face cream works wonders on the lips when they’re super painful, red, and swollen from irritation. It penetrates down into the lips without irritating them like other moisturizers. Expensive, but so worth it.

10. December 8, 2012 / 3:10 pm

I’ve tried EVERYTHING and gave Lansinoh a shot after stumbling upon your blog. It’s working so far! : )

• December 9, 2012 / 7:27 pm

So glad you gave it a try. I mean it’s really the thickest balm you can find. Thank you for your comment and I hope you’ll visit again!~ xoxo

11. Jenn
    April 26, 2012 / 6:39 pm

Nurses are renoun to have dry chapped lips….comes with the environment we work in….a girl once suggested “Nipple Nibbler”….before you laugh and blush….it actually works. It is found in adult only stores in a huge tub and I scooped it out and put it in a travel container. It tingles but moistizes great and is “edible”…lol….

12. December 15, 2011 / 7:39 am

Would you mind elaborating a little bit more on boob cream? So you used it only on your lips? What did the packaging look like and was wondering how it made your lips feel after you put it on. Was the effect different than all the other lip moisturizers you have used? Did it “taste” bad?

Lastly, what is the original use of boob cream? To keep the skin smooth?

• December 15, 2011 / 4:03 pm

Great questions Jane!
      1. Normal use of boob cream: for nursing mothers who are experiencing painful chapped, cracked nipples.
      2. Packaging: The brand I bought was called Lansinoh which was in a lavendar/purple box.
      3. I used it on my lips because my lips get terribly chapped and cracked. It’s safe to use on your lips because it’s made safe enough for babies to digest the ointment which would be on the nursing mother’s nipple. No taste at all!
      4. Compared to other lip products, it’s a lot more thicker. I not only have chapped lips, but very sensitive which gets irritated very easily. Lansinoh did not irritate at all. It was nice to apply the rich ointment on my lips and not have to reapply as often as I would with other creams.
      Hope this answers your questions!~

13. Linda
    December 11, 2011 / 8:51 pm

How do you like the Neosporin? I havent tried that one yet.

• December 11, 2011 / 9:19 pm

It’s… Ok. I was hoping it would be more healing. It didn’t do much compared to the cost, so I probably wouldn’t recommend. I like lip medex better. 😉

• Marcia Beth
        December 12, 2011 / 4:24 pm

I was disappointed in the neosporin stuff, as well. It seemed like w/a brand name like that, it would be “the one”….okay, but not the “one”.

14. Diana
    December 9, 2011 / 9:15 pm

Interesting! I may need to try this… Btw, can you do a review of some good eye creams? I’m looking for a new one, and would appreciate any advice! 😉

• December 10, 2011 / 12:32 am

Great. I’m trying out a couple of eye creams to see which one I like best. I’ll provide a review soon. 😉 Seriously, boob cream is super thick and moisturizing. If you have dry and cracked lips… it’s the best thing.

15. Marcia Beth
    December 8, 2011 / 1:53 am

i have chronically dry lips, as well…lately, it’s been painful. Between Carmex (the tub, not the tube), Blistex “Revive & restore” (kind of like…it stays on longer than most I’ve tried)…Nivea “rejuvenation Q10” & “A kiss of moisture”, many of the sally hanson line of lip products…I have a stock pile of lip products! @Priscilla: Eye cream…hmmm, I’m guilty of over indulging in just about everything I can afford, (or can’t afford, but hope it may be “the one”) Love this site. cheers <3

• December 8, 2011 / 2:10 am

i too have suffered chronic dry lips, so i feel your pain. the itching, swelling, cracking, peeling, and even oozing. I have to be super careful in choosing a product that will moisturize, but also not irritate the sensitive area. I’ve tried all the products you’ve mentioned too and most of them are not moisturizing enough or irritate my lips. These products are more for “normal” chapped lips, not severely chapped lips. please give the boob cream a try. it’s thicker and more moisturizing than vaseline and aquaphor. if you’re willing to splurge… i find that putting La Mer cream on my lips at night really calms and soothes my lips (and the skin around my lips). Then I put on vaseline or aquaphor… now i guess i’ll be replacing with ‘boob cream.’ Please let me know how it works out for you.

• Marcia Beth
        December 10, 2011 / 1:56 am

I had heard that La Mer cream on lips was effective (although I’ve probably spent the same amount on my multiple purchases of just about every soothing lip balm/cream/gloss that protects & soothes) I was scared off by the cost. I will definitely look for “boob cream”; is it available in regular retail chain pharmacies (maybe in the “baby section”, which I like the ultra gentle baby bath stuff, as well…seems once I started to have these skin reactions, I’ve had chronic splotchiness elsewhere, as well). Will be looking forward to the eye cream; since I think I’ve tried so many…I do like Lauder’s Advanced Night Repaid for Eyes; yet I also like (less pricey) L’Oreal’s “age perfect Gold Balm”. The L’Oreal product brighten the under eye area nicely. My only “issue” w/it, is my eyes, seem to get feel blurry, when I used it! (another item I’d like to see comments on, would be hair color, since I’ve been fiddling w/ the “do it yourself” at home boxes since I was 15. Now I am seeing grays, so it’s more relevent – and difficult than ever!) Cheers and thanks! 🙂 (will be referring friends to this site!)

• December 10, 2011 / 7:06 am

Thanks for the great information! Also, would love for you to refer friends since the goal of this blog is to be able to share good information on beauty. 😉 thanks again and I hope the boob cream works out for you. (my local CVS did not have it. I had to go to Babies R Us)

16. evamooner
    December 7, 2011 / 9:44 pm

really huh?!! i have to try it. have you ever used molton brown lipsaver? up till now, that’s been my favorite..but maybe boob cream will take over =)

• December 7, 2011 / 9:56 pm

I haven’t! I will look into it. Thanks so much for the comment!~

17. December 7, 2011 / 6:16 pm

Yay!!!! I’m so glad for you! 🙂 The day I first tried Boob Cream on my lips, my search was over. It’s a game changer, for sure. 🙂 xoxoxo 🙂

• December 7, 2011 / 6:53 pm

Thank you thank you thank you!~ xoxoxoxoxo
      Just had dinner and my lips are STILL moisturized.

• Hannah
        December 7, 2011 / 8:14 pm

Hey, I guess now I have use for that hardly-used Lansinoh that’s been stored away. Cool