Lip Savers.

For most of my life, I’ve struggled with irritated, peeling, chapped and severely dry lips (as well as the skin around my lips). In case you’re wondering: I never lick my lips, so that is not the cause. Channeling Lady Gaga when I say: “I was born this way.”
My lips are so painfully dry at times… they dictate what I eat, how I eat, and what I do. Also, even if I apply a lipgloss, lipstick or tinted lip balm… I always apply one of the products below for additional moisture. So it’s an understatement to say that I’m obsessed with finding the perfect lip moisturizer.

So what does my perfect lip moisturizer look like?
1) Non irritating 2) Super moisturizing 3) Preventative
Number 3 is the missing piece to the puzzle. I know I’m not alone when I say that I’m tired of having to reapply over and over throughout the day…

I could write a book about all the lip treatments, moisturizers, and balms I’ve tried. For the sake of time, I’ll just mention a few that I keep as my staple.

Vaseline
The most basic and purest form of moisture. Nothing in it to irritate my lips. I typically apply this as soon as I get out of the shower, wash my face, or brush my teeth. I carry this around EVERYWHERE and if I’m without… I’m pretty much in panic mode.

Aquaphor: Healing Ointment
Aquaphor is a good alternative to Vaseline. This one contains petroleum, panthenol (derivative of Vitamin B), glycerin (helps skin hold moisture), and bisabolol (which sooths). This comes in a small easy to carry tube which is great to keep in my purse.

Lip Medex
While Vaseline and Aquaphor are my go to lip moisturizers… Lip Medex is the ultimate sidekick. I like to apply Lip Medex under Vaseline or Aquaphor. The cooling effect is perfect in soothing my irritated lips. I also like that Lip Medex is not waxy like other lip products in the form a pot.

I’ve tried many many products and I come back to these 3 basics. Sorry there’s no exciting product for me to recommend to you. My hunt continues for the perfect long lasting and healing lip moisturizer. If there’s something that you swear by… please let me know!

*** Follow up post: “How Boob Cream Changed My Life“***

Special thanks to Ann for suggesting this topic!

p.s. I should mention that I have super sensitive and dry lips (and skin around my lips) compared to the average person. Therefore I’m limited in the products I can choose from because many will irritate my lips. So the 3 mentioned above are what’s worked for me. If you have average dry lips… you definitely have more interesting options and I’m super jealous. πŸ˜‰

1. ann
    December 7, 2011 / 1:56 pm

haha…thanks for the shout out. and this post is so timely since this cold & windy weather has been murder to my lips (actually the weather has made my whole body itch of dryness….boo!) I’m going to have to try the lanolin for my lips, since I conveniently have some at home. =) thanks!

2. December 7, 2011 / 10:32 am

i’m having major dry lips right now! and i wish i had one of those in my makeup purse right now!!

well…my go to product WAS lip medex because it made my lips moisturized without having it look too shiny and the minty coolness gave me a hint of red but i found myself reapplying it every hour. so i wanted to try something else…and it was the carmex stick. it’s very similar to the lip medex, but since it’s a stick you don’t have to apply with your fingers! which is a huge plus! i see it being a hybrid between lipmedex and burt’s bees lip palm tube.

• December 7, 2011 / 11:18 am

Thanks! Yes, Carmex is a great one too! πŸ˜‰ Hope your lips get some moisture soon!!!!

3. December 7, 2011 / 5:59 am

I seriously think we must be lip-twins. I suffer from the same lip maladies. I’m going to recommend two products that changed my lip life forever. Like you, I was always using the Blistex, etc. constantly throughout the day and lip sticks and such were a nightmare.

Amazing Product #1: pure Lanolin — yes boob cream. They give out samples when you have babies; it’s supposed to help the nipple area remain healthy while breastfeeding. I was desperate enough to try anything and I’m glad I did. The cool thing about Lanolin is it looks shiny on your lips, like a lip gloss and it LASTS and LASTS. You don’t have to reapply every half hour. You can pick this stuff up at Wal-Mart or Target in the Nursing Mom’s section. Good stuff.

Amazing Product #2: YES, you CAN wear color on your lips without your lips freaking out. FX Lip Glaze from an online makeup company called J. Lynne makes these and not-surprisingly, they have lanolin in them. My lips LUFF these and I never have to worry about freakouts.

I hope you’ll get a chance to try any of the above and I hope they work as well for you as they do for me!

• December 7, 2011 / 11:24 am

Thanks sooooo much for sharing. My heart is skipping beats right now at the thought of relief. I’m running to the store asap to get my hands on this ‘boob cream’ and totally going to order the other one online.

• December 7, 2011 / 1:03 pm

confession: Once I was hanging out with a girlfriend and her baby, and I had forgotten my makeup bag with my lip moisturizers. I got so desperate, I asked to used the baby’s diaper cream. Wasn’t the best, but it stopped the intense itching. hahaha. Thanks again for the tip on the boob cream. I should’ve asked for that from my friend instead.

• December 7, 2011 / 1:13 pm

LOL! That’s hilarious, but sadly I understand all too well the kind of lip-madness that would drive you to do such a thing. Actually, mabye not so crazy — my son’s doctor recommended trying diaper rash cream around my son’s mouth, where it gets so dry from licking in the wintertime. egads.

Boob cream is where it’s at. I’ve used it everyday for the past several years and this stuff goes a long way, too. I’ve only had to purchase maybe 3 tubes of the stuff. It’s in a purple tube; can’t miss it. I hope it’s amazing for you, like it is for me! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

• December 7, 2011 / 1:15 pm

Oh, and I should clarify 2……. it’s not actually a “cream”, but think of aquaphor, but a lot thicker. That’s the consistency. Silly me, I just always call it Boob Cream. πŸ˜€

• December 7, 2011 / 4:14 pm

Sounds amazing. Thanks again! I’ll be sure to report back on how it works out. πŸ˜‰