Not Your Mother’s Kinky Moves

I recently started using Not Your Mother’s Kinky Moves: Curl Defining Hair Cream and am loving it!

“Curl defining hair cream with grape seed and jasmine. Saturate your locks with Kinky Moves then blow-dry to keep curls smooth all day long.

Here’s why I love this cream.

1. Smells wonderful! It’s infused with Grape Seed and Jasmine, and the smell stays for quite some time.
2. The cream is a lotion consistency and not sticky or oily. It does a good job of defining and holding the curls all day.
3. It’s super affordable. Runs only about $6!

You know I like before and after pictures… so here they are. (Please excuse the ugly green shirt)

Before (Towel Dried Hair):
I have naturally straight hair, so this is me with a perm. Korean salons refer to this as a ‘Roll Perm.” Just means they use big curlers to get this wavy effect. My hair looks wavier here because it’s wet. Usually dries straighter.

After (Dried hair at the end of the day):
– The photo on the left is without Kinky Moves. Notice how much straighter my hair is from when it was wet? I was surprised to see how flat and straight it was… I guess my hair has grown out a lot since the last perm! Looks like I need to get another perm. 🙁

– The photo on the right is with Kinky Moves. Doesn’t it look much fuller? Kinky Moves didn’t weigh my hair down… quite the opposite! It defined the waves and kept them ‘bouncy and full’ all day! Well done NYM! Well done. 🙂 Maybe my perm can wait after all.

Here’s how I used the product.
– After towel drying my hair, I combed my hair lightly with a wide tooth comb.
– With a quarter sized dollop of Kinky Moves distributed between my hands and fingers… I scrunched the ends of my hair up towards my scalp. I don’t recommend starting near the roots and moving down towards the ends because this will flatten the curls/waves.
– Once I felt like the product was evenly distributed through out my hair, I ‘set’ my hair by using whatever product was left on my palms to calm any unruly/stray waves. This is the only time I actually moved my hands from top to bottom.
– Then I let air dry!~

If you’re looking for a product to hold your curls/waves… I totally recommend this product. As pictured above, my hair stayed wavy all day without feeling stiff. Also, my hair smelled like… grape flavored candy. Yum.

Facebook | Twitter | Bloglovin’

1. Katrina Vuong
    October 3, 2013 / 12:35 am

Does this product work with Asian straight coarse hair? I seem to struggle with getting nice waves witheat but I don’t know how to make it stay and hairspray doesn’t last. Or any product reccomendations that is cheap?

2. Brooke
    December 20, 2012 / 12:18 pm

I love this product my curls have never looked better 🙂 I get the volume on top that I could never achieve and no frizz.

• December 21, 2012 / 1:27 am

Yay!~ Glad you enjoy this product too! Doesn’t it smell delicious too! Thanks for visiting and I hope you’ll visit again soon!

3. February 1, 2012 / 5:42 pm

wish i has known about this product earlier. I got a perm last November and with my fine asian hair my curles did not come out at all after washing and air drying. Now my hair just drys straight with the end now dry and damaged ):
    I shall try this product out if i ever get bored with my straight hair and get it permed again..lol

4. January 12, 2012 / 12:35 am

def see the difference in the curls and added volume!!
    is there a product to loosen curls??

• January 12, 2012 / 1:37 am

I think they have something called Smooth Moves which helps with frizz… but not sure if it’ll help with straightening per say. If you use a flat iron to straighten your hair.. totally recommend using Beat the Heat to protect your hair. 😉

5. January 10, 2012 / 8:09 pm

Hi! Can I ask where you got your roll perm? I’ve been thinking about getting one…just don’t want to get an ahjumah perm =)

Lovin’ the blog!

• January 10, 2012 / 8:12 pm

I got it done at Hills. 😉 LMK if you want the name of the stylist.

• LaughingC
        June 28, 2012 / 12:15 pm

Oh! What’s the difference between the roll perm you got here and a digital perm? Thanks so much for your informative posts and great tips and tricks!

• June 28, 2012 / 12:25 pm

I believe this was when the roll perm was almost all gone… it was a lot tighter before. 😉