Sampling: Birchbox and Beauty Army

I just got my Birchbox and I must say that I’m a little peeved. I know some beauty bloggers do posts about their boxes every month, but I chose not to. I figured you don’t want to just see everything I got in the boxes, but rather you’re more interested in the performance of the products. So I planned on doing posts of items I loved or hated from these sample service (just haven’t had time to properly sample them yet, but that’s a different issue).

Today, I’m not going to do a post of the products… but rather about the sample services: Birchbox and Beauty Army.

Birchbox: January 2012 ($10)
I wasn’t impressed, but thought it was okay. The only thing I liked was the Zoya nail polish, which I’ve shared photos of on Facebook.

Beauty Army: January 2012 ($12)
Not quite being impressed with Birchbox, I subscribed to Beauty Army. I was actually able to choose the samples I wanted. There weren’t a ton of items to choose from, but at least I had a say so. Although I knew what I was getting, I was still pleasantly pleased! Generous sized samples that I was actually interested in using. Whether I like the product or not is not the issue… the point is that there’s actual content in the box and substance to the size of the samples.

Birchbox: February 2012 ($10)
Then here’s where I get all angry… I was really hoping it would redeem itself. I was rooting for them, but alas they let me down big time. The sizes are either too small, or the items don’t live up to the $10 worth of samples… Also, what’s up with the chocolate? How is this a beauty product?!

The moral of this ranting: If you’re debating between Beauty Army and Birchbox…  I would say go with with Beauty Army.
Sorry Birchbox… please don’t hate me. This is not an official breakup… it’s just a “I need time away.” I know some people have gotten some really cool stuff with Birchbox, but I just haven’t had any luck. I will keep an ear and eye open for you, but until the quality and quantity improves, I’ll be with Beauty Army for these reasons: Choice in my samples, better sizes, and better box quality (literally… the box itself is better quality).

What sample services have you tried that you were happy with? Let me know!~

1. Red
    April 26, 2013 / 2:58 pm

Ipsy and Beauty Box 5 are both definitely worth a try. Ipsy being my personal lover.

2. November 3, 2012 / 10:25 am

Do you have any type of these things for us Canadians?

3. March 7, 2012 / 11:37 am

We don’t get Beauty Army or Glambag in the UK but I always like to see what you get in your boxes in comparison to ours. I will shortly be reviewing some of the UK versions on my site if you would like to check it out

Love your site!

• March 7, 2012 / 11:54 am

Thanks for visiting and commenting!~ Hope your sample boxes are amazing 🙂

4. February 25, 2012 / 11:16 am

I really like Birchbox! and I really wanted that lip gloss, not this month though. I also enjoyed the nail polish and I got a full sized stila eyeliner. This month I got a TON of stuff I adore. I’m definitely sticking with them, no matter what anyone says!

• February 25, 2012 / 8:22 pm

Glad you like them! I think I keep getting unlucky with them. 🙁

5. SueH
    February 20, 2012 / 2:57 pm

I quit my Birchbox subscription after four months of ‘less than impressed’, too. I only got two things I really liked–a Zoya nail polish and a Blinc mascara.

• February 20, 2012 / 3:01 pm

Yeah, it isn’t worth the $10. I only thing I liked and used is the Zoya nail polish. 🙁 I’ve been happy with Beauty Army thus far… it’s $2 more, but at least you get to choose and the sizes of most of the items are decent sizes (more than 1 time use). Thanks for the comment and please gossip with me again soon!

6. February 17, 2012 / 8:20 pm

Lol, I received this months GlamBag and guess what? Chocolate!

• February 17, 2012 / 10:03 pm

Seriously?! Ugh. Hope the other things were better! Xo

7. Jessy
    February 15, 2012 / 4:31 pm

beauty army is great not only because you get to choose up to 6 samples but their customer service is A+!!

8. Carol
    February 14, 2012 / 7:31 pm

I cancelled BB months ago and I am so glad I did it looks like they have gotten alot worse! I did find one great love there with the Sunday Riley Juno oil. Too bad I can’t afford it!! I have not been able to bring myself to sign up for anymore monthly subscriptions BB made such a bad impression on me. Really I buy so many beauty products I always have tons of samples anyway! Loved the post thanks!

9. Denise Shively
    February 14, 2012 / 12:01 pm

I only subscribed to Birchbox for one month and was so unimpressed with the size/quality of the products that I didn’t bother sticking around. I haven’t tried Beauty Army yet, but I may do so now after your post. Allure & Beauty Bar just started a new beauty sub too called Sample Society; it’s $5 more a month than BB, but it looks promising – I’ll be treating myself to that as well and hoping it turns out well!

10. February 14, 2012 / 10:56 am

So sorry you’ve had bad luck w/ them. My boxes have been hit or miss, but overall I love BB and always have fun trying new stuff. I’m excited to watch 4 your future Beauty Army posts!!! I may have to add them! 🙂

• February 14, 2012 / 11:00 am

I believe in second and third chances… so I’ll probably give them another try at some point, but just need a break for now. 🙁

11. Miss Bonnified
    February 13, 2012 / 11:36 pm

I haven’t heard good things about Birchbox either. I just couldn’t bear the idea of paying $10 as a broke, budget bride for stuff I could get for “free” when I’m in the checkout process of Sephora online, you know? The quality of the samples just didn’t make sense to me for $10 and neither did their business model of choosing my samples for me.

• February 14, 2012 / 1:00 am

🙂 Yes… FREE samples are the best. And for these, Korean stores are my source! Muah ha ha ha!!!!

• Miss Bonnified
        February 15, 2012 / 10:53 pm

nice!!! I want to buy some BB Cream, speicifically Dr. G or Dr. Jart. Any recommendations on where to go?

• February 15, 2012 / 11:07 pm

Dr. Jart, you can get at Sephora. Wish I had an affiliate link to offer you, but alas… WordPress doesn’t allow it.
          Dr. G… If you’re ever in Ktown, go to the plaza with nandarang (hobart x 6th) and you’ll find a shiseido store. tell them PrettyGossip sent you and ask for a lot of samples!!! (although I’m not sure if she’s going to remember PrettyGossip… told her about it a while back) In any case, as for samples samples samples!

12. February 13, 2012 / 8:29 pm

I LOVE this post! I agree 100%! I’m actually going to do an overall Birchbox review when my subscription runs out (and I think I just had my last month). BB started out with a bang, and I feel that they are getting lazy or cutting corners by adding non-beauty related items aka “lifestyle” items, and they’re just throwing in little minis – like the kind you get from stores, just fillers, nothing special. Ugh… now you’ve got me ranting, lol – I just wish BB cared as much as Beauty Army *obviously* does! 🙂

• February 13, 2012 / 8:40 pm

Right?!? Honestly, the only reason I even got the February box from BB was because I FORGOT to unsubscribe… so when the box came and it had a piece of chocolate in it, I LOST IT. hahaha. Thanks for the comment Krystal! Glad I’m not just the over critical one… seems like everyone is feeling this way. I unsubscribed right away and will NOT be getting any more BB. Only Beauty Army for me!~ If you want to reference a second opinion on your post, feel free to link to this post or I can happily provide you a quote for your post. 😉

13. February 13, 2012 / 8:18 pm

I wasn’t thrilled with this months Birchbox either. The only thing I received that was the same as yours was the small brown Jouer tube. The only decent thing was a Dermologica Daily Microfoliant. There was a tiny Juicy Beauty Blemish Serum tube and some weird Eye Rock Instant Eyeliner Tapes which I doubt I’ll use. A freakin’ heart shaped nail file and some free mp3 downloads was the rest. Not good. I get Birchbox and Glambag and I’ve been debating which one to keep. After this months Birchbox, I might stick with Glambag for one more month and if I don’t like that, I’ll try the Beauty Army.

• February 13, 2012 / 8:21 pm

Sorry to hear that you’ve had a not so good experience with Birchbox too. I wonder if they’ve always been bad, or just got that way over time. Yes, try out Beauty Army if Glambag doesn’t work out. 😉