Digital Perm

I shared this photo on Twitter and Facebook about a month ago and a few of you have asked for the “after” photos.

Looks intense, right? I just went in for a haircut and got talked into getting what Koreans refer to as a “Digital Perm.”

Here’s the play by play:
1) Wash and apply perming solution onto straight damp hair. Heat hair and wait about 30 minutes for solution to penetrate hair.
2) Wash off perming solution. Dry with blow dryer.
3) Roll slightly damp hair into rollers and DRENCH in hair conditioning treatment. Attach plugs into each roller and heat for about 30 minutes.
4) Unplug rollers. Apply neutralizer and wait to neutralize perming solution.
5) Unroll rollers and wash hair. A little snip snip, 3.5 hours and ~$180 later, I’m finally done!

Here’s a BEFORE (with the help of Kinky Moves)

AFTER (without any products)
Check out my little “twisted” no heat hair trick I use to enhance my waves without any heat or styling products!~ :

I’m very happy with the perm and have gotten many compliments on it! My hair is not damaged at all which was great. The hair treatment + heat really conditioned my hair. My hair still feels soft, but I’m sure cutting an inch off helped. 😉

If you have any questions, feel free to tweet me!~Until next time, stay pretty… inside and out!

Follow and Gossip with me: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest | Bloglovin

1. Maddison
    September 5, 2013 / 7:27 pm

hey! love your perm….what salon did you go to?

• September 8, 2013 / 10:59 am

I went to a place in Koreatown in Los Angeles. If you’re interested, please email me and I’ll give you the contact info. Thx for visiting!

2. Nicole
    May 26, 2013 / 8:01 pm

Hello! I’m thinking of getting a digital perm, but am quite worried on maintenance. Is it difficult to maintain? And also, will the perm hold up well in dry weather! Thanks a bunch!

3. CoCo
    May 9, 2012 / 8:25 am

Hello:) Where is this salon that you have gone to?

• May 10, 2012 / 2:49 pm

Hi! I went to a Korean salon called Etude in Los Angeles!~ Thanks for visiting and commenting!

• LaughingC
        June 28, 2012 / 12:02 pm

Hi! Thanks for posting this! I went to Etude last week and kept asking if they were really doing the digital perm because the rollers never got plugged into heat like it looks like yours were in this picture. Instead, they brought around a heating machine thing that rotated around my head. I don’t like the look of my perm at all because its’ TOO curly (80s-ish), but I don’t know if it’d be worth it to go back if they can’t fix it. Do you happen to know if they might not have done the right thing? And if they have bigger curlers? I think my hair might take more to the perm than others and maybe that’s why… And do you happen to remember which hairstylist you had?
        Thank you! (Btw, I started looking through the rest of your blog and LOVE IT!)

• June 28, 2012 / 12:28 pm

It’s tricky… Depending the the amount, type, length and style of hair, the stylist probably picked the one that is best suited for your hair. I felt my hair was too curly initially too (both with roll and digital perm), but always love it about 2 months in once the curls have relaxed. Not sure when you got the perm, but give it a couple months. I’m sure it’ll relax. Its been a while for me and I love my hair now even more. Just super loose waves. I’ll post a photo soon.
          Thanks for visiting and gossiping with me. I’ll hope you’ll stop by often. xoxo

4. sas
    March 3, 2012 / 8:42 pm

I’ve never heard of the digital perm. do all salons do this?

• March 3, 2012 / 9:48 pm

I think it’s a Korean thing… Korean salons have them. 😉

5. February 23, 2012 / 5:50 am

Your hair look beautiful and absolutely healthy! It makes me want long hair again 🙂

• February 23, 2012 / 6:01 am

Thank you! The deep conditioning part of the perm helped a lot… Plus they cut off about an inch 😉

6. chelsie