The Perfect Poof Without The Tease!

I’m sure you’ve seen these and wondered… “Do Bumpits really work?”

I wondered the same thing for years before purchasing Bumpits. Was this really a product that can give me the perfect poof without any teasing? I really tried to make it work, but was very disappointed. Here’s why Bumpits did NOT work for me:

• The plastic bump was too big (high and wide).
  • The little spikes didn’t hold onto my hair.
  • To make matters worse, the plastic was too heavy for it to stay in place. It literally kept falling off my head.
  • The poof had an unnatural rise and fall because the there’s no slope. Teasing is necessary to get a more natural look.
  • I have a lot of hair, but you need A TON of hair to cover up the plastic and look natural.
  • Overall all… I was disappointed and returned the product. 🙁

So, what’s the best way to get the perfect hair poof without teasing?

The search continued until…

I recently went to a local Japanese gift store and was overjoyed to see so many interesting beauty items.  Of the million things hanging on the wall, this immediately caught my eye.

I’m not Japanese and don’t know the language, so I couldn’t read anything on the package except the price ($9.39), “Volume Hair Base,” and “Made in China.” I took a peek inside and saw what looked like velcro pads. I immediately thought, “OMG. Genius… This could work!” I had a good feeling about these and excitedly brought them home. After a few tries, I’d figured out what works best for me and I’m SO happy with this product!!!

Here’s why I love these

• The velcro literally sticks to hair and stays in place, with or without a ponytail.
  • When used with a ponytail, the velcro pads actually makes it feel more secure.
  • Super soft and light, so you forget you have them on.
  • No worries about your hair moving and exposing the pad even with a little hair. The velcro will keep your hair in place!
  • The poof isn’t too high, and has a natural slope. It’s natural enough to wear everyday. If you’re looking for extra volume, you can double up the velcro pads.
  • Works well in a half ponytail and full ponytail but even with my hair down, the velcro pad stays in place! Thank you velcro!
  • Comes with a small and large size pad.

♥ BEFORE (Top Row) and AFTER (Bottom Row)

This was a an impromptu photo session, so sorry about the distracting striped shirt.
I was just so excited to share the results with you, I forgot to change!

~ Half Ponytail ~

Placement:  The velcro pads were placed a little below the crown of my head for a low poof.
Effect: Although subtle, it really dresses up a simple half ponytail. It’s not pictured, but can you imagine how pretty this would be with curled hair?!?
Option: Placing the velcro pads higher on the head will give a higher poof for a more dramatic look.

~ Full Ponytail ~

Placement: For a full ponytail, I decided to place the velcro pads on the (middle) back of my head.
Effect: I did this to give my ‘flat head’ a little more shape and roundness to it, and it worked like a charm.
Option: Place the velcro pad at the crown of the head for a more dramatic poofed ponytail.

♥ How to Use

Directions:

1. (Optional) Curl hair
  2. Part hair horizontally at the crown of your head, or lower depending on the look you’re going for.
  3. Place velcro pad behind the part. You’ll notice that one side of the velcro pad is higher than the other. Either side can be used to be at the base of the part. Depends on your head shape and the look you’re going for, so play around with it until you get the desired look!
  4. Cover velcro pad with hair. Style as desired (down, half  ponytail, or full ponytail).

Other Tips:

• The placement of the velcro pads really depends on what you’re looking for and the shape of your head! There’s no wrong answer, so don’t be afraid to give it a few tries.
  • Dress it up even more by curling your hair!
  • For a half pony, place the pad closer to the top of your head. Make sure that the rubber band used to hold the ponytail is UNDER the velcro pad.
  • For a full pony, place anywhere from the top to bottom depending the desired look as well as the shape of your head! So just play with it and see what you like.
  • To remove, hold onto the velcro pad and slide down the length of your hair. It’ll feel like you’re brushing your hair with a natural hair brush.

So, what do you think? Will you be rockin’ the poof?

Shop for product: Volume Hair Base (Velcro Poof Pad)– $15

Follow and gossip with me: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest | Bloglovin

1. kanwal
    October 8, 2014 / 2:48 am

Yes , , it’s available in india

2. August 24, 2013 / 11:27 am

This is so late, but I just came across this blog post. You have no idea how horrible I am at teasing my hair and needed something to help me out a little bit. Awesome review and find. I bought one last night on ebay. Can’t wait. I think I’m officially addicted to your blog now.

3. August 13, 2013 / 3:19 am

hey i just want to know where u exactly place the bun ?? can u pls make a tute on that ??

4. Belle dy
    February 26, 2013 / 7:51 pm

Is it available in the Philippines? The ones I bought in Bangkok are too high and shows under my thin hair.

5. Sarah Burns
    February 4, 2013 / 12:38 am

HI! I agree with you that the “Bumpit” is AWFUL-I HATE THEM! Really unnatural looking and the horrible plastic totally shows! These velcro bumps are really great. And I’ve found that I can wear it all day, with my hair completely down, and it doesn’t move, due to it’s very light weight, and it’s underside grabbing onto hair so well. My only complaint is that it’s really hard to get out, and I do break/pull a lot of hair getting it out. For that reason, I try not to wear it more that two times/week.

6. ush
    January 10, 2013 / 10:12 pm

is it available in india ?

• January 10, 2013 / 10:22 pm

Not sure… Please click on the link provided and see if they ship to India. Good luck!~

7. Maria
    October 12, 2012 / 6:52 am

where can i buy it through internet,please?

• October 13, 2012 / 1:47 am

Please use the link included on the post!~ Thanks for visiting. xo

8. Soo
    September 22, 2012 / 3:59 am

My hair is like yours, but unfortunately I don’t find the velcro bumps perfect. It is the first tool I tried for the poof. I thought it was not easy to hide the tool well, it is visible where the tool starts. And I had a hard time to remove it smoothly without hair knots, it felt as if I was damaging my hair. But as I don’t like to use hair spray and to tease the hair, I use it occasionally with special events.

Thanks for the tip and the before & after pictures!

9. September 1, 2012 / 7:59 pm

I love the bumpits, BUT i have super thick coarse hair – so it stays put and covers…although it does show through if you’re not careful. I have to try these too!

10. August 11, 2012 / 8:10 pm

Do you ever wear these with your hair down?

• August 12, 2012 / 5:45 pm

No, I always wear it with my hair tied… just because I don’t want to take the chance of it falling out. 😉 But honestly, it’s on pretty good, so I probably could just wear it alone. I would just avoid wearing it on a windy day.

11. May 14, 2012 / 1:18 am

I agree, the velcro ones are really great and so cheap. I had a bit of a hard time getting them out of my hair though. My hair teases pretty easily, so I only use these when I really want to go crazy with a huge bump. If the Bumpits were as great as the company claimed, I doubt they would be taking up tons of space on the shelves at the dollar store.

12. Crystal Soto
    May 11, 2012 / 9:52 am

Wow! Thank you for this blog. I always had trouble teasing my hair, so I tried the bumpits, and it looked so cheesy on my head, way to high, didn’t like them at all, and sometimes i was able to see the little spikes popping through my hair. A while ago I seen an informercial for a Poof Comb, it looked very easy to use, but couldn’t find it anywhere. Now this product looks very natural, and your examples show a nice natural poof.

• May 11, 2012 / 11:11 am

Hi! Thanks for visiting and commenting. Yes, the Bumpits were disappointing, so I’m really happy I found this product. Hope you like it too!~