Eyelash Extensions: Before and After Photos

Even on my most natural days, I curl my lashes. Why? I have very straight Asian lashes that point down, and they literally tickle the skin under my eyes. I wish I had naturally long and voluminous lashes, but no such luck… so, I decided to give lash extensions a try (… again).

Before and after pictures:

1. Natural lashes. Wimpy, sparse, and straight :(.
  2. Curled lashes with a coat of mascara. Making the most of what I have with my curl + mascara routine.
  3. With lash extensions. No curling or mascara. Looks pretty natural, right?

About the session:

• Application: Each false lash was glued on top of my own lash with a special glue.
  • Glue: The glue fumes can be irritating for sensitive eyes like mine. Although I made sure my eyes were closed during the session, my right eye teared while my left eye didn’t. After the session, both my eyes were slightly red for about 1 day.
  • Lash Choice: I wanted a natural look so I chose 10 mm length lashes. 2 types of lashes were used on me. “J” lashes (slight curl) were used from the inner corner of my eye to about 2/3 rd across the eye line. “C” lashes (full curl) were used on the outer corners of my eyes.

More before and after photos:

Pros:

• Great results. Much more natural looking than regular false lashes.
  • Quick results. The first initial set took about 1 hour. Refills usually take about 15-30 minutes. Depends on the amount of your lashes and fall out.
  • Love waking up with long beautiful lashes! Not having to use lash curlers and mascaras are great.

Cons:

• You have to be very gentle with the lashes and eye area. Getting used to not touching your eyes takes some time.
  • I had to discontinue using any oil based products including my eye makeup remover and oily eye creams. Oils will weaken the glue.
  • Unlike regular fake lashes, extensions cannot be added or removed on your own.
  • Refills every 2-3 weeks aren’t bad, but it’s a commitment of time and money. The initial set could cost anywhere from $150 to $250 (refills are $50-100), depends on where you go.

Overall Thoughts:

• Took some getting used to, but I love them. I really enjoy not having to use a curler or mascara.
  • I can apply eyeliner, but I have to be very gentle when applying and removing (usually with a Q-tip).
  • If you want to remove the extensions, you should have them removed professionally. Trying to pull them off will pull out your real lashes as well.
  • Great for adding length and volume to your natural lashes. Since you can only add lashes to the existing lashes, extensions won’t help with adding more lashes. Having said that, the extensions do make your lashes appear longer and darker, so this will add intensity and fullness.
  • I had extensions done a few years ago and there’s been quite a bit of improvements in the glue and lashes since then. I’m glad I gave them another try. 🙂 If you’ve had them before and didn’t like them… give them another try.

If you’re in the Los Angeles area and want the contact information for the salon I went to, please send me an email! I’d be happy to pass her information along. I’m very happy with the results, but I have a few new mascaras to try for reviews… so I’ll probably get them removed in a few weeks. Until then, I’m enjoying every morning I don’t have to curl my lashes!~

Have you tried lash extensions? Would you consider getting them?

Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest | Bloglovin | Giveaway

1. Suzanne
    October 24, 2014 / 5:04 am

Hi! Great post! I am thinking of trying these for my wedding, but I am worried about how straight my lashes are, too. Did you have any issue with lashes not curling up or separating from the straight original lash? My other option is a tint and eyelash perm.

• October 24, 2014 / 6:02 pm

I have straight lashes and it wasn’t a problem. I would suggest what they call “j” lashes. They’re in the shape of a J, so the ends curl up. The other option I was given was “c”. I was told that these are super “curly” because of the c shape. If you want a more lashes to look more like your own, they suggest the J lashes. Hope this helps!!! Congrats on the wedding!!! xoxo.

2. November 20, 2013 / 3:14 am

Great to know about extensions. I’ve just used your photo on my blog. Thank you.

3. February 20, 2013 / 8:46 am

Try to avoid using cotton product (this includes q-tips, cotton balls/pads and towels) around the eyes, because cotton has lint and that might get caught on your lashes and you’ll get white fluff stuck on your lashes or it might pull out your lashes accidentally. Wipes are good, but if you want to pinch some pennies, take “scotts towel” like material, any kitchen towel will do.. dab some make up remover on that and use it to wipe off your eye make up 🙂

4. Sue
    December 21, 2012 / 7:48 pm

Oh and also make sure not to wear any makeup or lotion around the eye area if your eyes are sensitive. This will also help them not to water

5. Sue
    December 21, 2012 / 7:47 pm

I get eye lash extensions (for over a yr now) and my eyes would water pretty bad during the process (about 2 hours yikes!) I started taking a benedryl tablet about 45 mins before my appt and it helps tremendously 🙂

6. Tiffany
    July 14, 2012 / 1:52 pm

Do you believe in lash tinting?
    I heard that makes your lashes look voluminous too, and it may last longer?

• July 14, 2012 / 2:31 pm

Hi. I’ve seen it done and I didn’t think it was very effective on dark lashes. 🙁 It would be great for people with lighter lashes. 😉 same goes for brows. Hope you’ll visit and gossip with me again!

7. alis~
    July 13, 2012 / 3:24 pm

~ Thanks for this post!. I would just be concerned about the costs overall…
    I am always looking for articles about eyelashes, mascara, as I have really Super straight lashes and when a curl lasts makes my eyes look bigger and gorgeous..

I so love sharing with others about great products I have tried ~ The best ever“ eyelash curler I have ever found is the Hot Lashes eyelash curler, makeup Artist kit. Loved the reviews on Amazon and was impressed. There is also a site of the same name Hot Lashes.com.

This curler is exactly like the gold Shu Uemura curler with a sturdy 24K gold plated curler and this small pink heater base. Keeps my straight lashes curling till the next day….and no crimp, only a curl..I so HTH~

• July 3, 2012 / 1:46 am

Thanks so much for the nomination!~ 😉 Excited to check it out. xo

8. July 2, 2012 / 5:21 am

I see these at all of the nail salons, I am so tempted. I have OK lashes but crave long, thick, dark , curly, lashes.
    Yours are beautiful!
    I may give it a go. About how much should one spend? What ballpark figure is a fair price?
    I love your blog 🙂

• July 2, 2012 / 9:46 am

Thank you visiting and commenting! Prices really depend on where you go. An initial set can cost anywhere from $150 to $300+. Refills can cost anywhere from $50 to $150+. (I stayed on the lower end of these numbers). Please visit often~ xo

9. July 1, 2012 / 1:00 am

Omg your lashes are so gorgeous. Makes me want to get them done too because I’m sick of wearing falsies and I hate taking off mascara. I just don’t think my lashes will last because I rub my eyes way too much and not gentle enough. 🙁

• July 1, 2012 / 1:07 am

Thanks sweetie!!! I really like them too. If you rub your eyes… don’t get extensions. I’m pretty gentle, but I have a hard time taking care of them. haha. xoxo.