L’Oreal BB Cream: Magic Skin Beautifier

Looks like L’Oreal is as obsessed with BB Creams as I am! They’ve got 2 BB Creams out in the market~ Youth Code BB Cream (review here) and Magic Skin Beautifier BB Cream. I was also surprised to learn that these two BB Creams are very different from each other! Please keep reading to see my complete review of L’Oreal’s Magic Skin Beautifier BB Cream.

According to L’Oreal: This multi-tasking beautifying cream delivers multiple beautifying actions: primes, hydrates, corrects, evens and perfects. It’s ultra lightweight and blends in seamlessly for a perfect natural finish.

My observations:

• Price: $10.95 for 1 oz. (available here)
  • Shades: Fair, Light, Medium and Deep
  • Smell: Very very subtle fragrance.
  • Color: “Fair” matches my skin tone. The BB Cream is self adjusting, so it starts out white. As the cream is worked into the skin, the color will appear.
  • Moisture: This product does not offer moisture. Might be a good option for oily/combination skin. Depending on how oily your skin is, you may or may not want to use a moisturizer under the BB Cream. If you have dry skin and are looking for a drugstore brand BB Cream, check out Garnier’s Skin Renew and L’Oreal’s Youth Code BB Creams.
  • Sun Protection: None 🙁 (Please read this post to learn the importance of sunblock)
  • Coverage: The coverage is very sheer. Although the cream didn’t cover blemishes, it did smooth out some of the unevenness. In my opinion, this BB Cream feels and acts more like a tinted primer with a matte finish than a traditional BB Cream. If you’re looking for a heavier coverage, I recommend Smashbox’s BB Cream or a traditional foundation.

• Consistency: Doesn’t look or feel like a traditional BB Cream. The initial consistency is gritty… like a toothpaste with baking soda (especially since the cream comes out of the tube white). As you work the BB Cream into your skin, the grittiness and whiteness disappears and the color/coverage appears. My guess is that there are tiny color beads that cause the gritty consistency and as those color beads break, the color appears. It can take a bit of rubbing to get rid of the grittiness and whiteness, so I recommend breaking down the cream on your fingertips before applying it to your face.

• Finish: The best part of The Magic Skin Beautifier BB Cream is the matte finish appropriately dubbed as the “Flawless Bare Skin Finish” by L’Oreal. If you have oily or combination skin, this may work very well for you.

Overall Thoughts:

• Pros: It has a great natural matte finish you’ll probably love during the hot summer months! If you have oily/combination skin and are looking for a drugstore brand BB Cream with very lightweight coverage, give this BB Cream a try.
  • Cons: I’m disappointed that this BB Cream does not offer the skin care benefits of a traditional Asian BB Cream including anti-oxidants, moisture, brightening, anti-aging, firming, etc. The self-adjusting aspect of the cream is cool… but you have to really work the cream to get all the gritty/whiteness out. Also, due to the grittiness, you won’t be able to apply with a foundation brush. I’ve found that it’s best to warm/work the cream between your fingertips before applying it to your face.

If you have oily skin and want sheer coverage with a matte finish, this is definitely worth giving a try. If you have dry skin like me… it’s a “maybe” in the summer, and a definite “pass” in the winter.

* To find your perfect BB Cream match, please check out my other BB Cream Reviews: Smashbox | Stila | Clinique | Dr. Jart | boscia |Dr. G | Estee Lauder | Garnier’s Skin Renew | L’Oreal’s Youth Code

Which BB Cream have you tried?
Please share your experience in the comments below!

1. August 26, 2014 / 4:01 am

Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon your
    site and in accession capital to assert that I acquire in fact loved account your blog
    posts. Anyway I will be subscribing for your augment or even I fulfillment you get admission to constantly rapidly.

2. carol schmidt
    March 17, 2013 / 6:04 am

I love the b b magic cream not costly leaves my skin looking just like I want. Easy yo use.

3. November 15, 2012 / 9:29 pm

I got a sample at Walgreen,,,,,used it today and, WOW i dearly love this stuff, I plan to go back to wakgreen tomorrow to buy a real bottle,,,,,sure hope it’s not too expensive as i don’t have alot of money to spend on myself………..ps .do you have any samples you could send me,let me know,,Oh i would be so happy if you could…….email me….[email protected] Thank you , faye

4. September 10, 2012 / 7:48 pm

I was beginning to think no one really cared about the down to earth just regular people who want to feel like a million bucks. Then I found you on disply at a local dept. store. I feel in love with it the first time I used it! Thank You for giving us a product that is affordable, but really works!!! Bless You!!!! Bev Hammer ,Grand junction, Colorado

5. September 7, 2012 / 9:27 am

I’ve always wanted to try this, but my skin is not 20 and something and I think I need more than just a bb cream…

6. August 16, 2012 / 7:47 am

I got a sample of this in the August issue of Cosmopolitan, tried it, and fell in love. I normally apply liquid foundation from Clinique first and then a loose mineral powder to finish by L’Oreal. With this product, I got enough coverage that a normal foundation would give me, it felt nice and light, and I didn’t even need to apply powder afterwards because of the matte finish it gives. Previously, I have tried BB Cream from Garnier with SPF and antioxidants and it has been sitting in my cabinets forever now. It really didn’t give me the coverage I was hoping and it didn’t feel good on my skin. I am going to buy myself some L’Oreal Magic Skin Beautifer today! A little goes a long way and I’m thrilled I only need to apply this to get the flawless look I want – without the mineral powder on top.

• August 19, 2012 / 3:24 pm

So glad you like it!~ Thank you for visiting and I hope you’ll visit often. xo

7. ss
    August 13, 2012 / 8:29 pm

I just got a sample of this. Can’t wait to try it out.

I was wondering what kind of BB Asian creams you would recommend. I tried Skin79 and Elisha Coy but both broke me out and both have horrible ingredients for the skin. I am not sure what other BBs out out there aside from what is offered by US brands.

8. Katie Oler
    July 30, 2012 / 2:23 pm

I am thrilled the L’Oreal one doesn’t have SPF. I’m very sensitive to SPF not to mention you don’t need SPF everyday like many girls think. And also, have you seen the studies showing SPF causes cancer!?!

• SS
      August 13, 2012 / 8:31 pm

SPF just refers to the degree at which a product protects you from the sun. It doesn’t cause cancer but some of the ingredients in sunscreens have been shown to be carcinogenic or damaging in some studies. Just buy sunscreen with natural ingredients and you should be fine.

• November 3, 2012 / 9:38 am

can you recommend a natural sunscreen that won’t make super sensitive people like myself burn like a million suns?

• November 14, 2012 / 3:15 pm

I think if you’re super sensitive and prone to sunburns, the trick is to reapply often. I’m talking every 2-3 hours. I personally like Shiseido’s sunblock for the face.

9. July 15, 2012 / 10:42 am

I love this product! I have little specks of dry skin on my face (i don’t know how to get rid of them!!! annoying!) and whenever I use bb creams or foundation, it catches on the product. This, however, blended perfectly well when I applied it on! My favorite! I’ll have to try the garnier one soon!

10. Jin
    July 14, 2012 / 2:38 pm

Hi Mindy!

I love your website! Your product reviews are so thorough and fun! Your post on bb creams inspired me to try a bb cream – Laneige Snow BB Cream in the compact. I’m very happy with it, should check it out when you can. Hope all is well with you and S 🙂

• July 14, 2012 / 4:00 pm

Hi hi hi! Thank you so much for reading and commenting. Happy to hear that you enjoy my little blog and even tried Bb cream! Thanks for the suggestion about the Laneige one, I’ll def have to try that one out. 😉 xo

11. July 9, 2012 / 7:17 am

When I got my makeup done by the P&G lady at CVS, she used this as a base/primer – I totally fell in love and actually forgot to buy one for myself. I love the moisture it gives, the tint of color, the matte/powder like finish, it’s perfect for me since I wear tinted moisturizer all day/every day now. Great post too! oxoxo