How to: Make a Sock Bun Donut

Complete Sock Bun Series.
Part 1. How to make a Sock Donut. This post! Keep reading.
Part 2. Perfect Sock Bun. Click Here for tutorial.
Part 3. Perfectly Messy Sock Bun. Click Here for tutorial.

Part 1. How To Make A Sock Bun Donut

Have you heard of the “sock bun?” Here’s me with my first sock bun! It’s so easy (and pretty), I wish I tried it sooner. 🙂

The best part of the sock bun look is that it can be worn for day, night, casual and formal occasions. It’s casual enough for a day at the beach and dressy enough to wear to a dinner party. Perfection! Also, it’s super quick!

In this post, I’ll show you how to make your own sock bun donut at home. Just 2 simple steps! This might just be the easiest DIY ever. Once you’re done making your sock bun, check out this step by step tutorial on how to achieve the perfect sock bun look!

Here’s a side by side of my purchased sock bun donut (similar here) and my homemade one. Not too shabby!

Hope you’ve found this tutorial helpful. Please check out my tutorial on how to use this sock bun for the {perfect} sock bun look!

Until next time, stay pretty… inside and out.

1. February 21, 2014 / 11:10 am

U didn’t really tell us how to put it in!!!! but I still like it

2. Glecelle
    June 14, 2013 / 5:04 pm

I have myshort hair. 🙁

3. flavia
    April 11, 2013 / 10:52 am

Hello I am from Brazil and loved your blog! Please let me know where I can buy the sock bun in the USA I will be there and would like to buy it.

4. erica
    December 28, 2012 / 5:28 am

so happy i found this i really wanted to try a sock bun and i saw lots of tutorials that required a donut and i didnt want to go to the store and buy one and didnt know how to make one so thanks 🙂

5. December 23, 2012 / 10:01 am

Just saw your tutorial. I’m def going to have to try as I found a killer orange dress and boots for Christmas this would top it off. Thanks so much! : )
    I also sell on Etsy and do seller showcases on my blog so if you’re interested check it out. Cheers and keep up the good work! : )

6. diane
    July 31, 2012 / 10:10 pm

i tried it but it doesnt turn out well, could it be that i have too many layers on my hair or my hair is super straight? or not the right socks? cant wait for you tutorial.

• July 31, 2012 / 10:30 pm

Many layers, thick and or super straight hair does make it more difficult. 🙁 I’ve modified the tutorial from other ones I’ve seen floating around, so hopefully my version helps you out. Check it out tomorrow and let me know! xo

• July 31, 2012 / 10:27 pm

Thank you. I hope I can help you achieve the same look! Be sure to check back for the “How To” tutorial. 🙂

7. Katy M
    July 31, 2012 / 7:14 pm

Love this look! I’m now going to go hunt through my husband’s sock drawer for a good match. I can’t wait until you post the second half of this!

• July 31, 2012 / 7:18 pm

I’m excited to share how to create this look too! It’s super fast which I think is the best part! Thanks for reading~ xoxo