{Tutorial} The Perfect Sock Bun

Follow me on IG for my daily shenanigans! (@prettygossip).

Part 2. The Perfect Sock Bun.

Welcome to the second part to my sock bun series! Yesterday’s post showed you How to Make a Sock Bun at home. Today’s post will show you how to use your homemade Sock Bun donut for “The Perfect Sock Bun.” Btw… If you can’t get it to work, you might want to give my Messy Sock Bun Tutorial a try (view here)!

Here’s a little background on how my sock bun obsession started…  I’d seen tons of sock bun photos all over Pinterest for months but never paid attention because I didn’t think it would work for me.  Then while waiting in line at H&M, I saw the donut looking thing (pictured above) and made the impulse buy. Half expecting it to fail, I bought it just so that I could say that I tried. Boy~ am I glad I got this little guy.  🙂

I now understand what all the hype is about. Not only is the sock bun super sophisticated, polished, and cute… it’s very easy too! If you’re thinking “blah blah blah, this will never work for me” like I did for months… just give it a chance. All it’ll cost you is an unwanted sock. 🙂 The picture below was my very first attempt at the sock bun! No teasing, hair spray, or bobby pins were used! Beginner’s luck? Maybe. Or maybe it’s that easy! Amazing right?!

Read This Before You Start!

So, first things first, take the 1 minute (literally) to make your own sock bun donut. Then pick the method you want to use for your sock bun look. There are 2 easy ways…

1. Perfect Sock Bun– A super polished look described in this post. Best for: most types of long(er) hair. Scroll down for this tutorial and step by step instructions.
2. Messy Sock Bun– The messy sock bun is a super easy way to achieve the sock bun. Best for: short(er), thin, or layered hair (view tutorial here)!

♥ 5 Steps for the Perfect Sock Bun ♥

Here’s the short version:

1) Tie hair in ponytail and place donut 2) loop ends of hair around donut 3) tuck ends 4) roll down to base 5) gather and pin.

Here’s the longer version with helpful tips:

1. Secure your hair in a high ponytail and pull the ponytail through the center of your sock bun donut.
  2. Place the donut about 1/2 way down the length of your ponytail and get ready to rock and roll.
  3. Wrap the ponytail end around the donut once. With the remaining end of the ponytail, continue to wrap/tuck around the sock bun donut using your index finger and thumb to grab and pull the hair through the donut center.
    * Put your fingers through the center and use them to gather and pull the hair through. Trying to shove the hair through the center of the donut without catching with your index finger and thumb will result in a messy and loose bun.
    * At this point, it’s easier to move your hair in and through the donut center rather than trying to move or roll the donut.
  4. Once the ends are wrapped around the donut, begin rolling the donut down the remainder of your hair. As if you’re rolling your sleeve, roll the sock bun down towards the base of the ponytail.
    For this step, roll and move the donut down as opposed to step 3 where you’re just moving the hair.
    * Use the end of a comb to help tuck in the strands while you roll/wrap. Don’t worry too much about it being neat at this point. Just need those ends tucked and wrapped.
    * If the bun is too loose (too big), gently hold the entire bun with both hands and pull the rolled bun away from the base of the ponytail. This will tighten the hair around the donut, therefore tightening the bun. Start to roll/tuck again towards the base of your ponytail.
  5. Gather the ends of the bun to close and complete the look. Use a couple of bobby pins to secure and tidy up the bun!

♥ Having difficulty? Some tips on getting the perfect sock bun… ♥

• Hair too short, layered, and/or thin? My Perfectly Messy Sock Bun is perfect for you. Click here to see the tutorial.
  • If you have very thick or long hair, use a smaller sock bun donut. Cut off a small portion of your tube sock to make a thinner donut which will make it easier to roll all your hair. I used a black cotton dress sock which is much thinner than a normal sock.
  • If you find the rolling portion difficult, use the pointed end of a comb to help tuck the ends in. When you’re rolling, just roll and don’t worry about how it looks during this step. Once you get to the base and you keep tightening/rolling the bun, it’ll clean itself up. 🙂
  • Can’t get your hair to roll on the sock bun? The messy sock bun is a more casual look but easier to achieve. Worth a try if this method is not working for you. View the messy sock bun tutorial here.
  • Don’t give up. Try it a few times and I’m sure you’ll figure out what works best for you. And when you do, please come back and leave your suggestions in the comments below. I’m sure other Pretty Gossip-ers would love to hear them!

Added Bonus: Beautiful curls without any heat!

Finally, here’s a picture of my hair after a day of being in the sock bun (note: hair was completely dry when I put it up into a sock bun).  Imagine the curls I’d get if I put slightly damp hair into the bun and let it dry! Hello~ gorgeous curls! Can’t wait to try it out. I’ll be sure to share photos of those curls on Instagram, so be sure to come find me~ More pictures to come!

I hope this tutorial has been helpful. If you have any questions or suggestions, please leave a comment below! I love hearing from you so don’t be shy. Until next time, please stay pretty… inside and out.

Please follow and tag me on your sock bun photos on Instagram (@prettygossip)!

Complete Sock Bun Series.
Part 1. Make a Sock Donut to use for a Sock Bun.
Part 2. The Perfect Sock Bun. This post!
Part 3. The Perfect Messy Sock Bun.
Great for thin, short, layered, and/or even super long hair.

1. Baldilocks
    February 23, 2016 / 8:57 am

It doesn’t work for me. Came apart, after trying many, many times. I give up on having hair… shaving it off now and going to wigs.

• Cara-Mae
      September 19, 2016 / 7:20 am

I found with my hair that my ponytail must be damp – wet, and then it rolls really nicely and gives really cool curls. maybe it will help you

2. jennifdr
    August 24, 2014 / 12:21 pm

Thank you i enjoy the sock burn tutoria

3. Heather K
    February 12, 2014 / 5:40 am

I have long hair, and sometimes doing a sock bun literally takes 5 tries. I did this in one go and it took 30 seconds. Wow. Thanks for saving me so much time! Now I can at least eat breakfast before class

4. Charlene ^•^
    November 3, 2013 / 12:54 pm

It works really well its the only one that works so far after all the blogs ive read and all the videos ive watched this is the only one that works for my thick short hair

5. SiobhanFiggy
    September 3, 2013 / 6:03 am

I do mine slightly differently. After putting it in a ponytail, I put the donut all the way down and tuck my hair over evenly. Then I secure t and pin it down.

6. Johru
    July 26, 2013 / 12:37 am

This would really help me especially I need to have a clean hair look at work! Really glad to
    Find this site and your ig! ❤

• July 26, 2013 / 12:52 am

Glad you found me too! Thanks for visiting and I hope you’ll visit often. xo

7. Kyp
    May 6, 2013 / 12:45 pm

Just hoped I found a sock bun method that finally worked for my hair, but it just doesn’t work at all (the ends won’t stay tucked in or something) and my hair is too long for your messy sock bun. 🙁

8. Alexis
    April 11, 2013 / 3:14 am

Sometimes when I’m trying to tie it down with the hair tie it just looks like a blob and there’s like, a gap between my head and the bun. You know what I mean? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Btw, epic tutorial. Best I’ve ever seen. 🙂

9. Jocelyn
    March 25, 2013 / 2:13 pm

I can’t get this to work, whenever I pull it out to tighten it it just falls apart and stays loose. Also, my bun always seems to end up pointing down. The first one I ever did worked really well, but now I can’t figure out what I did.

Also, Mindy, how did you make your website?

10. Georgia
    February 17, 2013 / 11:56 pm

Wow! This is amazing!
    I’ve seen my friends at school with them and I’ve wondered if my short hair would work. And yes, it did! Thank you soooo much!
    P.S: How do you make the bun bigger?

• Katrina
      February 18, 2013 / 11:31 am

Thicker socks.

• Emily
      March 8, 2013 / 8:49 am

To simply make it bigger, you can use a bigger/longer sock. I cut old tights and it works perfectly

11. Sarah
    February 17, 2013 / 1:17 pm

It would be so great if you could post a video tutorial of this on YouTube!!!

12. Shelly
    February 2, 2013 / 4:06 pm

Well, its the closest I’ve been able to get with this tutorial but still can’t manage it.

What would you recommend for fine hair? I can’t wear the messy bun cause my hair slides right out of the sock and pins after a little while.

Thanks for the tutorial.

• Katrina
      February 4, 2013 / 8:53 pm

I was in the Marines and I have baby fine hair but if you do it when your hair is wet and use gel and hair spray you can have any hair style, also try using a kids sock and cut off the toes.

• February 5, 2013 / 6:28 pm

Good idea about the kid socks!!! Thanks for visiting and commenting!

13. julianna
    January 29, 2013 / 8:39 pm

Omg this acutualy works thanks allot I really love it! And the after curls are beatifull!

• January 29, 2013 / 8:57 pm

Woohoo!~ so glad you tried it. Thanks for visiting and commenting. Hope you’ll visit again! xoxo

14. January 15, 2013 / 3:45 pm

I love this idea u make it seem so easy!!!! Thanks alot for the tips they really helped 🙂

15. Bri
    January 12, 2013 / 2:55 pm

I thought my hair was just too thin to go in a sock bun, and I was wrong! Thanks so much!!

16. December 23, 2012 / 10:01 am

Beautiful! Going to have to try it. I’ll let you know how it turns out. Keep up the good work!
    : )

• January 11, 2013 / 5:16 pm

Thank you for visiting and leaving your comment!~ xoxo.

17. RenJennM
    December 16, 2012 / 3:47 pm

Hi! I just found out about your blog. Love it so far btw! Anyway, thanks for this tutorial. I’m in the military, and while I was in training, my hair was much shorter, so I never needed to do a sock bun. Now, it’s grown really long, and it’s getting tougher to keep it neat-looking without damaging my hair. I haven’t asked anyone to re-teach me the sock bun method because… well… pride got in the way. lol This tutorial makes it easy, and now, no one I work with will ever have to know I never knew how to do it this while time! 🙂

• December 17, 2012 / 12:47 am

Thanks for visiting and your comment. I’m glad you were able to do this sock bun! I have another Sock Bun method (see here) I shared recently, so please check it out too! xoxo.

18. Shayla Danielson
    December 8, 2012 / 5:15 am

What do you use to make your tutorial grids?

19. Brielle shaffor
    November 25, 2012 / 8:35 pm

I tried this and it works great, but it comes out very loose and I tried to pull it up and then roll it down but it keeps ending up loose. 🙁

20. Nicole
    November 14, 2012 / 5:30 am

Have you posted your messy sock bun tutorial yet? I couldn’t find it if you did. I look forward to it.

21. November 7, 2012 / 5:06 pm

This is the first successful sock bun i’ve ever made after months of trying different socks/trying the special sock bun donuts. i used to have sore arms from having to spend so much time getting a decent sock bun and it was always floppy, loose and messy. you basically saved my life. thank you soooooo much.

• November 7, 2012 / 6:22 pm

OMG, thanks so much for letting me k now!~ I’m so happy it worked for you. I’m planning another method of getting a (messy) sock bun, so please check back for that. Thanks so much for visiting and commenting. xoxo

22. Janae
    October 30, 2012 / 2:56 pm

Doesn’t it leave a dent where your ponytail holder was?

• October 31, 2012 / 6:40 pm

Actually it doesn’t because while you’re rolling, the rubber band moves away from the scalp making the ponytail loose which doesn’t leave the ugly dent. 😉

23. Debbie
    October 5, 2012 / 7:39 pm

Love this! Took me only 2 tries to get it right 🙂

• October 5, 2012 / 8:55 pm

Easy right?! Thanks for visiting and the comment. So glad you got it to work! 😉

24. Jennifer Yu
    August 3, 2012 / 12:39 am

Love this!! I can’t wait to try it!! 😉

25. August 1, 2012 / 12:37 pm

Love! Alas, I suck with my hair. I propose we get together for tea and have our tea party in public while you wrap my hair in socks. 😀

• August 1, 2012 / 12:42 pm

yes! let me know when you have time and an unwanted sock ready!~ This time, I’ll do my nails just for you. 🙂

• Grace
        June 7, 2013 / 3:43 pm

I want to try this, but I don’t really understand step 3…I’m kind of confused at how you wrap it. Do you twist it around once or wrap it and go all the way around the donut? Thanks!

• Sammywammy
          July 25, 2013 / 12:17 pm

Hi I just tried this and got it second try after finding the steps in pic hard to understand, but think its more understandable if you read how to do it. Pull bun donut down near ends and tuck ends back under the donut (so inside) then you just roll it, pulling it outwards with your fingers ( hope this makes since) like she said rolling up sleeves. And hey presto! A really secure bun only needed 2 pins to hold.