{Tutorial} The Perfectly Messy Sock Bun

Complete Sock Bun Series.
Part 1. How to make a Sock Donut. Click Here for Tutorial.
Part 2. Perfect Sock Bun. Click Here for Tutorial.
Part 3. Perfectly Messy Sock Bun. This post! Keep reading.

Part 3. Perfectly Messy Sock Bun Tutorial.

First I’d like to thank all of you for making my Perfect Sock Bun Tutorial so popular on Pinterest and for also making it one of my most popular posts! Since there was so much interest on this super cute hair do, I decided to do another tutorial.

In today’s tutorial, I’ll share how to achieve a Perfectly {Messy} Sock Bun! If you have short, layered, and/or thin hair… this is the perfect method for you! Please scroll down for details.

Messy Sock Bun ::  Perfect for short, layered, and/or thin hair!

1. Put hair into a ponytail and place sock donut in place. (Don’t have a sock donut? Here’s an easy Sock Donut DIY.)
  2. Split hair into two sections. With your head tilted a little forward, let your hair completely cover the donut.
  3. Use another rubber band to secure hair over the donut. This is your sock bun! Wrap and tuck your loose ends around the sock bun.
  4. Once all your loose ends are around your sock bun, use a few bobby pins to secure! I didn’t use any hair products, but hairspray is optional.

What’s the difference? :: Messy Sock Bun vs. Perfect Sock Bun.

• Messy Sock Bun is smaller than the Perfect Sock Bun. The Perfect Sock Bun is great at achieving a full-sized bun.
  • Messy Sock Bun is great for short, layered, and/or thin hair. The Perfect Sock Bun is easier to achieve with more (longer or fuller) hair.
  • Messy Sock Bun requires no “rolling” so it may be easier than the Perfect Sock Bun.
  • Messy Sock Bun isn’t terribly ‘messy.’ It’s just more casual compared to the polished look of the Perfect Sock Bun.

If you have any questions, please don’t be shy… leave me a comment below! 🙂 Also, if you’re on Pinterest, please pin and share with your followers! Thanks so much for visiting and all your support!

I hope this tutorial has been helpful! Good luck and until next time…  stay pretty!

Please come say hi! Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest | Bloglovin

1. Ginger
    March 9, 2014 / 2:25 pm

I’m growing my hair out currently, it’s at that awkward stage where it’s just reaching shoulder length, and so hard to put up and keep within military regs. I found this tutorial and literally had a perfect bun within ten minutes. Thanks, and great work!

2. jessica
    November 18, 2013 / 2:09 pm

I can’t wait to try this. How come I have never thought of this!!???

3. Lynn
    November 17, 2013 / 9:45 am

I definitely need to give this one a try. with my long layered curly hair, I just cant get the traditional one to work. Thank you

4. Rebecca
    August 3, 2013 / 1:49 pm

Just to say thank you for this tutorial, the first bun tutorial which is simple to do, actually easy and looks really neat once done.
    I have very thick hair which tangles easily so it can be quite hard to get my hair to stay in place, but this worked.

• August 4, 2013 / 2:20 pm

Great! So glad you tried it out! Thanks for visiting and letting me know it worked for u!

5. Dominique
    July 22, 2013 / 2:38 pm

This is exactly how I do it! I can’t use the roll down method because I have extremely curly, layered hair! It just doesn’t work : (!

6. Katiebug Katiebug
    May 22, 2013 / 8:32 pm

Thx again

7. Katiebug Katiebug
    May 22, 2013 / 8:25 pm

Omg I tried about 1,000 times with other methods, but this one worked!!!! Thx

• June 3, 2013 / 9:19 am

Woohoo! So happy to hear! Thank you for visiting, trying, and commenting on the post!!!

8. Amelia
    April 27, 2013 / 2:54 pm

I tried a million different ways to do a sock bun, and finally this one actually works on my hair. Thank you!!!

9. April 18, 2013 / 5:45 am

This was really helpful! Thank u 😀
    But please, pleaseee, pleasee can you make a tutorial video about how to do a hairstyle, but with the ears covered?? ( My ears are slightly larger )
    Btw sorry for the bad english, hope u understand me 🙂

10. Lucy xoxo
    April 8, 2013 / 7:02 am

I have very long hair, to my waist nearly, and I LOVE this method. Only thing : when I put my hair in a doughnut (often for school and dancing), if I have more hair kirbyed in one place around my doughnut than other places, it goes all bumpy around that area and is clear that there is a bump. I don’t like this, and kirbying it again still doesn’t work?!?! Any ideas, thanks xoxo

11. Lindsey
    February 13, 2013 / 8:06 pm

Every time I wear it, it’s perfect but after a few minutes my hair starts to poof up and get all curly. Is that normal?

12. Helen
    February 8, 2013 / 9:47 pm

This is an awesome way to do the sock bun! I tried it this way a few times and had more success than usual, but still couldn’t get my hair to come all the way around, so I tried splitting my hair in half and wrapping it in two sections around the sock. Looks great!

• February 8, 2013 / 11:49 pm

Great suggestion!!!! Thank you for visiting and commenting. Please visit again soon! Xo

• Kayla
        June 3, 2014 / 6:52 am

Hi, just something that I tried is: wen you’ve tied your hair around the sock bun, instead of being boring and just tucking it in, you can split the extra hair coming out from the bun into two pieces and braid both around the bun and then literally shove the ends of the braids into the bun itself, bobby pinning them in place and attacking it with hairspray! Ta dah! You now have a cute casual sock bun with braids wrapped around! Came up with the idea and tried it and I think it looks great! Xoxo!

13. Alexis
    January 12, 2013 / 12:48 pm

Great step by step photos and instructions but I have to admit I had to give up using just a sock to pull off this look. No matter how many times I tried, the sock gave me a flat and not at all voluminous bun….but luckily a friend told me about The Hunny Bun and I was able to achieve such a fabulous bun! They have 3 different sizes and colors so you get the bun you need for your hair type/style. I use the Medium Hunny Bun…all the time! Check them out and save yourself some time and frustration if the sock isn’t working for you. At only $10, it’s well worth it! Good luck ladies! 🙂

• Madison
      January 13, 2013 / 6:55 pm

Where can i get them?

• January 13, 2013 / 7:03 pm

Follow the link I included in the post to make your own! Good luck!

• January 13, 2013 / 7:15 pm

@Madison- if you’re asking me about The Hunny Bun- just google The Hunny Bun- it’s http://www.thehunnybun.com – good luck! 🙂

14. January 2, 2013 / 7:40 pm

Thank you so much for this tutorial!! It’s the only thing that works for me!

• January 3, 2013 / 4:11 pm

So glad it worked for you! Thanks for visiting and commenting! Xo

15. Courtney
    December 31, 2012 / 10:34 pm

So this was great because my hair is short, layered, AND thin! xD But I’m assuming you wont get curls like you would from the “Perfect Sock Bun” tutorial?

• January 3, 2013 / 4:18 pm

Hi! It’s worth a shot, but you might not get the (evenly curled) curls you want. I tend to get ugly lopsided curls when I put my hair in this kind of a bun and let it dry… the dent from the rubber band isn’t pretty either!

The perfect sock bun is a great way to get curls… Or check out my no hear waves tutorial! Let me know how it goes!

16. December 18, 2012 / 2:57 pm

I am so happy to come across this tutorial! I kept seeing those little donuts and had no idea how to use them!

17. December 14, 2012 / 6:11 pm

Have you tried using a hair donut from BunQueen.com They come in different sizes to make your perfect bun!

18. December 10, 2012 / 2:50 am

I can’t believe I didn’t think of this – I’ve been trying to do the regular sock buns where you start at the end of the hair and roll it all in but my hair is long and layered and it never works! Thanks for the tutorial, I’ll definitely have to try this 🙂

• December 10, 2012 / 3:05 am

So glad I can help! Following my other sock bun tutorial, a lot of people let me know they were having trouble due to short, thin, or layered hair. This method is great for any hair length or cut! Good luck!