The Worst {Drugstore} BB Cream is…

Hello!~I hope that you’ve had a great week!

I recently made a trip to Walgreens and was delighted to see a new drugstore brand BB Cream.  I snatched up the Rimmel London BB Cream for $7.49 in Light.

Rimmel {BB Cream} 9 in 1 Skin Perfecting Super Makeup (Buy here. $6.99): “BB Cream with SPF 25 is skin perfecting super makeup, developed specifically for women who prefer not wear foundation. Better than a moisturizer, better than a foundation. Creates the perfect 9-part regimen in one easy step: Primes, Moisturizes, Minimizes Pores, Conceals, Covers, Smoothes, Mattifies, Brightens and helps Protect. You have to live it to believe it! It¿s foundation reinvented! Dermatologist tested.” (available in Light, Medium, Medium/Dark)

♥ My Observations.

This was my first Rimmel purchase so I was doubly excited to try it out. Unfortunately, the Rimmel BB Cream turned out to be a complete #FAIL.  This is the worst BB Cream I’ve ever tried! Hate to be so harsh and negative, but my goodness(!)… look at the gunk it left on my hands and face. 🙁

Every time I tried to use the BB Cream, it kept “gunking” up. I don’t know who would want to work so hard at blending the gunk, but I wanted to give it a fair chance so I spent a few minutes doing my best to blend everything in. It might not be so apparent in the photo below, but there are still spots where the gunk is sitting on my skin even after intense blending. Overall, my skin looked ashy and strange. Boo.

I thought it might be the skincare products I used under the BB Cream, so I tried switching those products out too… but it didn’t matter. Gunk city.

♥ Did it keep all 9 promises?

1. Primes- No. I couldn’t get the BB Cream to apply on my skin properly!
2. Moisturizes- Nope. My skin was not moisturized.
3. Minimizes Pores- Um… another no.
4. Conceals- No. You have to be able to apply to conceal.
5. Covers- Isn’t this the same as concealing?
6. Smoothes- Seriously?! It left gunk on my face! That’s opposite of smoothing.
7. Mattifies- Nope!
8. Brightens- No.
9. Protect- Ding ding ding ding… this is the only promise it kept. Protection from UVA and UVB.

♥ My Final Thoughts.

• Walk past and Do Not Buy! Take a look at these other drugstore BB Creams (view here) and find a match for you.
  • I admit, drugstore BB Creams are not the best BB Creams available… but they’re a great option if you’re on a budget or don’t have access to the Asian brands. I didn’t expect Rimmel London’s BB Cream to blow me away, but I didn’t expect such disappointment either. 🙁
  • Not all products within a brand can be a home-run, so I’ll give other Rimmel London products another try eventually… but this first experience was (very) blah.

Any recommendations on Rimmel London products you’ve tried and loved?!
Leave a comment below.

On a happier note… it’s almost the weekend!~ 🙂 Until next time, stay pretty… inside and out.

Come say hello on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest | Bloglovin

1. Juju
    October 16, 2015 / 10:04 pm

I just bought this in a sale bin, my first bb cream and it has put me off them for life. Holy crap, it’s awful. Face feels like I left a mud mask on and doesn’t look much better. Yes, this is a nasty product! It’s very, very, unflattering.

• November 4, 2015 / 6:23 pm

Thanks for visiting and for your comment. I had a bad experience too but it might be a bad batch. Whether it was a bad batch or not, I too will never be purchasing this product again. 🙁 If you’re interested, please click here for some of the bb creams that I DO recommend. 🙂

2. mannu
    June 25, 2015 / 7:52 pm

ohh i thought its only me having this problem and blaming my self this is worst bb cream,, i got combination skin sometimes its very oily and sometime its very dry i think never can understand what to use .. hufff

3. Celine
    December 19, 2014 / 3:09 pm

I’m so relieved that someone else had the same exact experience as I did…I thought I was the only one that got a bad batch because in other beauty reviews people really liked it. I’m a college student and am not really into wearing heavy makeup so I like wearing BB creams. When I saw this in the store I was excited to see a new BB cream and was soon terribly disappointed. It clung in patches, impossible to blend and by the end of the day it looked exactly like the photo showing the gunk on your hands…only it was on my face! Horrible, never again!

• December 19, 2014 / 9:41 pm

Maybe some of us got a bad batch. Looks like some of my readers did not have this experience. Either way, I don’t plan on ever purchasing again either… 🙂 Thanks for visiting and for the comment.

• March 12, 2015 / 6:19 pm

Oh my goodness – I have had the exact issues and in fact, I got the lightest one because I’m basically neon white, and it made me look ORANGE. I’m also glad to see other people had issues. I really love Rimmel cosmetics but this one was a big disaster!

4. Nadia
    November 6, 2014 / 2:17 pm

Wow I’m glad it tried it before taking this because I had a great experience with this bb cream and I’ve tried others had I read this beforehand I probably would not have given it a try… I applied it with a sponge lightly and build it up and besides is on the pink tone side, I’m more earn (yellow toned) it still looked good enough. I think you have to try for your self. My review will be up soon….

5. Renata
    June 14, 2014 / 4:32 am

I tried the BB cream without a moisturiser and my skin was itching and red. A week later I tried it after applying the moisturiser and the same happened. I’m usually not allergic to snything. It must be the product – don’t buy it!

6. May 21, 2014 / 8:42 pm

The Rimmel BB cream has a moisturizer already in it. If you put moisturizer on your face before you used the BB cream, perhaps the two moisturizers are reacting against one another and causing the problem.

• May 21, 2014 / 9:56 pm

I was wondering if there was a reaction too, so I tried different moisturizers and got the same result. I have a feeling that it was a quality control issue… Sounds like some people really liked it and some of the (unlucky) ones like me got a bad batch. Thanks for visiting and for joining in on the pretty gossip!~ Hope you’ll visit again.

7. April 19, 2014 / 8:19 am

oh god, i bought few days ago and i did not try till today yes it happen to me also when i saw my face still i see crack and the pores 🙁 sadly to buy it

8. Jenn
    April 15, 2014 / 8:04 am

I actually use this; and its almost my first ever BB cream so I may not know whether theres a difference between a good and a bad BB cream. However, for me, I actually like this bb cream (I have swatched the Maybelline and garnier one and there were o.k for me). The only thing is that sometimes (which happened a lot at the start) was random pigments of concentrated colour would come out…

9. Amy
    April 5, 2014 / 9:03 am

This product made my face oily as soon as minutes of applying it..made my face oily..didnt give full coverage and it gunks..just used it for once..

10. Liv
    March 23, 2014 / 8:11 pm

Okay so here’s my story with this product: I bought it during may of 2013 before summer started. I used it a few times during the summer and I don’t really remember it gunking up. Then when school started I started using my foundation (since it was fall time and I needed extra coverage). A few months later I tried it out again and it was AWFUL! It gunked It couldn’t blend it and it was terrible! What I noticed is that the foundation did look different. I hadn’t used it in about 6 months, so I thought It expired. I was thinking of rebuying it but now seeing your review, I won’t buy it again! Definitely not going to waist my money on that again.

11. Elizabeth
    March 14, 2014 / 2:39 am

I wish I had read this before I bought it. I had the same result as you, with the Rimmel B B Foundation…Gunk!!!!!!! My skin looked awfull. Like you, I thought it might be down to the moisturizer I used under it, but like you , I soon realized that it is just that the product is BAD!!!!!

• April 8, 2014 / 12:43 am

Sorry you had the same experience! Sounds like they need better quality control on this product…

12. February 27, 2014 / 12:10 am

I just did a new review on this and I agree with you, I just posted pictures of my results and I didn’t even use as much as you did, Im glad I didnt waste more money on it, I do love theirs other products. Maybe you can check it out, sorry for the oily skin pics sugarkissesbeauty.com

13. Ammunition
    January 3, 2014 / 6:17 pm

Well look at all that cream that you applied to just your cheek, I didn’t even use that much on my whole face and it worked perfectly. You’re using waay too much. No wonder you got ashy and gunky.

14. BichMac
    October 26, 2013 / 9:16 pm

I love Rimmel’s bronzers, except a lot of people complain that it has poor packaging. I don’t carry bronzer with me so I don’t mind the packaging too much. I agree with you, there are so many different products out there that if this one doesn’t work for you move on.

15. sara
    October 13, 2013 / 12:47 pm

Rimmel bb cream worked about as promised for me, better than what I expected for the price. I had great coverage, mine smoothed on not gunked up, perhaps the batches are not consistent. It went on wet and took longer to dry than foundation, but left a healthier look than dryness many foundations leave. I have dark spots and rosacea, and it doesn’t irritate my sin and seems to make it better, no miracle but a noticeable improvement.

16. Gannonham
    September 29, 2013 / 10:25 am

Wish I had read this review before wasting my money on this product. The same bunking thing happened to me, too. Very disappointed.

• September 29, 2013 / 12:23 pm

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience too… Thanks for the comment and I hope you visit soon!

17. September 11, 2013 / 11:21 pm

I love the rimmel pro liquid eyeliner it’s my fave, and the matte face powder is the best drugstore one for the price that I’ve found.

18. July 30, 2013 / 4:27 am

The rimmel stay matte powder is amazing, also their lipsticks and nail polishes are great 🙂

19. Kat
    July 9, 2013 / 6:08 pm

I’m personally a big fan of the Rimmel. I use the BB cream in light and I’ve never had it gunk up like that on me! I’m sorry your first experience was so blah. 🙁 It’s my first Rimmel skincare products. I’m a giant fan of their mascaras though! I’m currently a cosmetology student and I use their eyeliners and mascaras for all the photo shoots and shows that I do both as part of school and outside of school.
    I’m honestly shocked that you got such a gross and more than unsatisfying experience.

20. Tani
    July 7, 2013 / 5:12 am

I really like the Rimmel London mascaras! I have tried many and have been satisfied with every single one. To be honest, I prefer Clinique’s High Impact Mascara and Diorshow Iconic Overcurl (both of which I got for free at Sephora), but for a drugstore brand they are good and inexpensive substitutes. I also like Rimmel lipsticks. There is a wide variety of colors and they are inexpensive, and though I find I need to reapply them during the day, I do not mind because I don’t wear lipstick often enough to want to spend money on a good brand like MAC.

• July 8, 2013 / 9:01 pm

Thanks do much for the recommendations!!! Will have to try the mascara.

21. Margaret M,
    May 6, 2013 / 1:19 pm

I tried the BB cream and I was unimpressed. It was very difficult to blend and working with it resulted in little clumps on my skin. The product made my skin react with redness, a burning sensation and red bumps. Stay away from this product if you have sensitive skin.

22. Simone
    February 23, 2013 / 3:52 pm

Their sandal eye liners are better than Urban Decays IMO. I love them.
    They also have great lipsticks, an amazing primer (fix & perfect 002 Not 001) and decent mascaras!

I bought this today, only spread it on my hand, but it def didn’t do that!
    I was actually thinking I might like this a lot, so hopefully it doesn’t react that way with my skin!
    I’ve used garnier skin renew, and loreal youth code, im on my 2nd tube of maybelline dream fresh, but I’m looking for something with better sun protection, and coverage.

Just picked up rimmel on a whim, based off my success with their other products. Judging on how it applied on my hand, I was impressed. Well see!

23. MeLz
    February 23, 2013 / 2:09 pm

I love their facial primer <3, just primer! and I own their mascaras, pretty good

24. Malak
    February 19, 2013 / 3:09 pm

i love rimmels lipstick airy fairy! i wear it almost everyday!

25. Jenni
    February 9, 2013 / 9:45 am

I’ve never tried Rimmel’s BB cream, but I LOVE their Fix & Perfect Primer. Such a great product!

26. Ashleigh Grogan
    February 9, 2013 / 3:31 am

Hey I’ve been googling this product to see if anyone else had the same problem! This happens to me every morning, it just rubs off my face in little flakes as I blend it, I think maybe using a blending brush instead of fingers would work better as I’ve heard, so I’m gonna get one and try that way :))

• February 9, 2013 / 8:52 am

I just don’t think you should have to work so hard to blend it in! Not sure if ours was a bad batch, but either way… It’s not good! There’s many BB Cream choices… Hope you find one that you absolutely love!

27. January 19, 2013 / 7:04 pm

I have this and have never noticed any problems. In fact, it’s my favorite drugstore bb cream. Are you sure it wasn’t a bad batch?

28. January 14, 2013 / 12:59 am

You may have gotten a bad one… I tried mine for the 1st time yesterday and I was pleased with it. I do want to try a better brand tho… Any recommendations???

• January 18, 2013 / 8:00 am

Hi! I was thinking it might be a bad one too… Which makes me question quality control. How many other bad batches must be out there?! As for BB Cream recommendations… Depends on your skin type, desired coverage, and what you have available where you live. Please click “bb cream” in the word cloud on the right sidebar (scroll down a bit if you don’t see it) and check out all the reviews. 😉 My current favorite is Skin79 (Korean brand).

29. BiancaS
    January 12, 2013 / 10:57 pm

I think it was something you had on your skin or you got a bad tube. I am very happy with this, did not have a problem. Right now it has 100% recommending on Makeup Alley.

30. January 12, 2013 / 8:50 am

Oh that is horrible! The only product I really love so far is their bronzer and their nail polishes are pretty amazing. You have to be lucky though as far as the brush is concerned. It’s flat & if it’s cut crooked, application can be hard, especially with dark colors. 🙂

31. GK
    January 11, 2013 / 11:35 am

Thank you for the honest review & photos! That looks disgusting. Their version of light is darker than when I’m tan. It’s rare that a company puts out a true ‘light’. That consistency should never pass quality control! Make you wonder how they test these products.

32. Brooke
    January 11, 2013 / 5:51 am

Um ewwwwww! I like Rimmel shadows and my mom likes their polishes

• January 11, 2013 / 8:15 am

Thanks for the tip! Will have to try their shadows and polishes for sure! Xoxo

33. January 11, 2013 / 5:19 am

Thanks for the warning. =o I love their lip liners, but will definitely skip the BB cream! Love your posts, Pretty Gossip! Happy New Year! ♥

• January 11, 2013 / 8:14 am

Thanks for visiting and commenting! Happy New Year to you too babe! Xo

34. January 11, 2013 / 4:53 am

I haven’t seen anything like this before. Strange thing. I love Rimmel lipsticks though. And am going to try their nail polishes.

35. Babie soto
    January 11, 2013 / 4:02 am

I use BB Cream Garnier. It’s amazing!!!!! I could just put it on with some eyeliner and mascara and I’m ready for the day 🙂

36. Simone
    January 11, 2013 / 1:10 am

I personally don’t like Rimmel face products, a lot of them tend to have more pink undertones or look really caked up however I find their lip products would be one of their best products 🙂

• January 11, 2013 / 8:16 am

Thanks for reading and the comment! Looking forward to trying the liners now!! ❤

37. January 11, 2013 / 12:29 am

I bought this and didnt have this reaction; very odd. I did, however, return it because the lightest was too dark for me. I loved the formula though and didnt notice the gunk at all.

38. Liezl
    January 10, 2013 / 10:52 pm

Wow! … &that was Dermatologist tested?!

I’ve only tried their eyeliners. That product was pretty disappointing as well.

• January 11, 2013 / 8:17 am

I know right? Thanks for the heads up… Will stay away from the eyeliners! See you on Instagram!!! Xo

39. January 10, 2013 / 10:30 pm

Wow this is so gross. Can’t believe they would make a product that horrible. 🙁

40. January 10, 2013 / 10:25 pm

Wow! Yucky is right! I do love, love, love their nail polishes, though! Thanks for the heads up! 🙂

• January 10, 2013 / 10:32 pm

Thanks for the heads up about the nail polishes! I’ll have to try them out. 😉 Thanks for visiting and commenting!