{DIY} Homemade Lip Scrub: Remedy for Dry/Chapped Lips

Contrary to common belief, lip balm is not the best way to combat dry chapped lips.

Exfoliation is the 1st (and critical) step in fighting chapped lips! Exfoliating your lips twice a week will help rid of dead skin cells leaving lips soft and smooth, which allows moisture (aka lip balms) to penetrate your lips! In other words, exfoliation not only help soften your lips, it also helps your lip balm to work better!

So, if you’re experiencing dry, flaky, and chapped lips this winter… use this super easy recipe to make your very own Sugar Honey Lip Scrub. Your lips (and kissing partner) will thank you! Best part is that you probably have all the ingredients at home already, so get started now!

What you’ll need:

• Sugar: 1 tablespoon
  • Honey: 1 tablespoon
  • Olive Oil: 1 teaspoon
  • Vaseline or Shea Butter: 1 teaspoon (Coconut oil and jojoba oil are also good alternatives)
  • 1 small container

1. Mix 1 tablespoon of honey with 1 tablespoon of sugar together.
  2. Add 1 teaspoon of olive oil and mix well.
  3. Add 1 teaspoon of Vaseline or softened shea butter and mix well.
    * If shea butter is not soft, soften by warming or use a spoon to whip/beat the shea butter before adding to the lip scrub mixture.
  4. Spoon into a container and use within 1-2 weeks.

How to use:

• Take a dime size amount of scrub and rub gently onto dry lips.
  • Gently rub until some of the sugar has dissolved.
  • Rinse well with warm water.
  • Apply lip balm (Make your own! Click here for details).
  • Use twice a week and your lips will be silky soft.

Now that you have soft exfoliated lips, moisturize them with your very own homemade lip balm!~ Click here for the easy step by step tutorial!

Until next time, stay pretty… inside and out!

What’s your favorite DIY?!

Come say hi on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest | Bloglovin

1. Kassy
    July 24, 2015 / 5:33 pm

Can you add food coloring or flavor extract?

• L.D.
      December 4, 2015 / 3:01 pm

I love, love, this diy lip scrub. I actually used raw sugar because it was more gritty and I thought it would be a great exfoliant, and I used coconut oil instead of shea butter. This lip scrub is soooo delicious first of all. The coconut oil doesn’t seem to blend well, but it still worked like magic. I used it immediately, and OMG….my lips are so soft and smooth…amazing. Easy, inexpensive, and it works. I used a regular lip balm I already had, did not try the diy lip balm, but my lips are so soft, I can’t wait for my man to come home, lol….

2. April 26, 2015 / 8:53 am

do i acctualy have to wait 2 weeks to use it? im in 7th grade and have horribal patience i have picture days next week and i would really like to look good. is there anyway to speed up the posses?

(sorry about all the bad spelling)

• Candlestrophic
      May 22, 2015 / 7:33 pm

she meant to use it one to two weeks after creation!

• Tahlia
      August 26, 2015 / 3:10 am

No you don’t have to wait two weeks, it has to be used within 2 weeks.

3. krystalwaters
    March 17, 2015 / 9:59 am

would cocoa butter cream work like shea butter??

4. sofiya
    March 4, 2015 / 1:50 pm

How many pots does this amount make ??

5. February 28, 2015 / 9:07 am

Wow…this is really working out..itz amazing…I usedto do exfoliation with sugar and almond oil…but still I didnt get so much good result…but this is really nyc…thankyu so much fr ur recepie…:) 🙂
    cn I use coconut oil instead of vaseline? should I keep this in refrigerator??? And cn I do exfoliaton day by day? Is thr any prblm if I do day by day?

6. Dalise
    October 1, 2014 / 7:24 pm

Do you have to use honey if you don’t have any?

• October 11, 2014 / 10:29 pm

Honey is what holds all the ingredients together. I guess you can increase the Vaseline amount a bit to compensate for the lack of honey… but I highly recommend using it to give the scrub the smooth and soft texture. 🙂 Good luck and let me know how it goes if you decide to not use the honey!

7. June 2, 2014 / 12:58 am

hi! thanks for this amazing remedy… i am so super excited to try this! Can I use coconut oil instead of olive oil ??Thank you

8. Gwyneth
    January 31, 2014 / 11:55 pm

Thanks for the recipe! I let my little brother try it too and it worked on both of us 🙂

9. January 29, 2014 / 8:46 pm

Just made this. I used some vanilla sugar that I had already made up and used coconut oil. FABULOUS!! If you wanted to make it extra fancy, you could use lavender sugar, lemon sugar… The possibilities are endless!

10. January 7, 2014 / 7:14 pm

Hi! Did you use powdered sugar in this? I made a sugar scrub once using granulated sugar and it totally fell apart 🙁 please help

• January 7, 2014 / 8:02 pm

Hi, You should use regular sugar. Powder sugar will just dissolve and not provide the a scrub effect. Good luck!

11. Jordyn
    October 29, 2013 / 1:51 am

This recipe is a life saver! I have been suffering with extremely dry chapped lips for so long. I’ve tried store bought exfoliaters and scrubs and just ended up wasting my money. I’ve tried few other DIY lip scrubs but none of them have actually worked for me. I never leave a comment on blogs but I’ve already done this twice and my lips are EXACTLY how you described they would be. [I used coconut oil instead of shea butter or vaseline] AMAZING STUFF!!!

12. September 23, 2013 / 8:16 pm

Just made it and used it! Featuring it on tomorrow’s beauty blog post!! xoxo 🙂

13. Marian Booth
    July 17, 2013 / 8:30 pm

Like the recipe. Can brown sugar used instead of white sugar? Does vaseline inside this exfoliator help the shelf life span of this product? Thank you

• July 18, 2013 / 12:08 am

Hi! Brown sugar will work! I don’t know if Vaseline will extend the shelf life, but I wouldn’t keep this around too long. Just make small batches and make a fresh batch frequently since its so easy! Thx for visiting and commenting.

14. June 21, 2013 / 6:47 am

I have to admit this is great recipie and is lot like the one I made myself some time back however I sneaked a few essencial oils in also! Lavander hmmm. 🙂

15. Natalie Rubio
    May 21, 2013 / 8:42 pm

Do you have to wait 1 to 2 weeks before using this??

16. Victoria
    May 8, 2013 / 11:15 pm

I never comment on these sites but this was awesome. I only used vegetable oil and sugar because that’s all I have on hand. But that it’s self really worked. I can’t wait to get everything else and try the full thing.

• May 8, 2013 / 11:22 pm

Great! Thanks for trying and commenting. I hope you’ll try some of my other DIY tutorials. 🙂 They’re also very effective and EASY.

17. Valerie
    May 1, 2013 / 5:41 pm

My lips are unbeleivablly smooth now! Do I need to refrigerate it?

• May 1, 2013 / 7:01 pm

No need as long as the weather is not too too hot! Just use it within a week or so.

18. Dejanique
    March 20, 2013 / 7:57 pm

Thanks sooo much your a life saver!! <3

19. February 21, 2013 / 11:02 am

There are quite a few commercially available products for exfoliating lips but I would and do opt for home-made every time. Excellent recipe but you should encourage the use of beeswax instead of vasaline, as beeswax in 100% organic and renewable whereas vasaline is a by product and can cause upset stomach. There are more details about this here… http://drylips.org/beeswax-or-petroleum-jelly-lip-balm/

20. Kaela
    February 20, 2013 / 10:35 am

This looks amazing! I’ve been looking to purchase one but once seeing how high the prices were for a small container I was like forget that! Lol where did you purchase the little containers to put them in ?

• March 5, 2013 / 2:32 pm

I used an old sample jar, but you can purchase them here! Thanks for stopping by!~

21. February 18, 2013 / 3:46 pm

Just made this after googling for a recipe. Worked great and look forward to making this last of my beauty routine!

• February 19, 2013 / 10:40 am

Woohoo! Thank you for trying and letting me know how it went! Hope you’ll visit again and try other DIYs. Xo

22. notjustfroufrou
    January 31, 2013 / 7:40 pm

Printing this out to try this. I feel like a dummy for just buying Fresh’s version when I actually have all the ingredients necessary for this right here at home.

• January 13, 2013 / 6:41 pm

Thank you babe for trying it and even sharing it on Instagram! You rock!!! Xoxo

23. Ash
    January 13, 2013 / 9:59 am

There’s nothing perishable in the recipe, especially if you use the Vaseline rather than shea butter. Honey’s actually a preservative. Why does it only have a shelf life of a week?

• January 13, 2013 / 12:38 pm

Thanks for visiting and the comment!~ You’re right, there is nothing perishable… but depending on the weather and condition of the ingredients people use… shelf life can differ. You can probably store even up to 1 month, but I just gave it 1-2 weeks to be safe. Also, after a few weeks, the sugar breaks down and exfoliation isn’t as effective. 🙂 Hope you like this DIY and will visit again!

24. January 13, 2013 / 9:36 am

This is a lovely recipe!

• deana gome
      March 5, 2014 / 1:34 pm

I’m so super excited to try your remedy. I’ve used costly exfoliants for my lips to no avail. I have high hopes for yours!