{DIY} Homemade Jewelry Cleaner (No Scrubbing!)

Nothing worked. I couldn’t get my (very) tarnished silver jewelry clean and shiny. Short of paying a professional to steam clean my jewelry, I’d tried everything and been disappointed. Then I saw a homemade jewelry cleaner on Pinterest and thought why not. I’d given up hope on restoring my jewelry so what did I have to lose?

Well… I’m over the moon happy to let you know that it worked! The results were AMAZING. The cleaner worked like a charm with ingredients I already had in my pantry and the best part… NO scrubbing, brushing, or rubbing!

Look at this before and after picture! Wowza. The clasp and every link is super clean and shiny. And let me reiterate… no scrubbing or rubbing!

*note for the super observant readers πŸ™‚ The picture above does not show the “before and after” of the same chain, but the cleaned chain was just as dirty and tarnished as the dirty chain prior to being cleaned.

Ingredients for homemade jewelry cleaner:

• flat pan covered in foil with the shiny side up (I used a 9×9 baking pan)
  • boiling water: 1 cup
  • vinegar: 1/2 cup
  • baking soda: 1 tablespoon
  • salt: 1 tablespoon

Here’s the full tutorial. Scroll down for the step by step instructions.
Don’t worry, it’s not complicated. If I can do it, you can too. πŸ™‚

Read Before You Start!: Gather your ingredients and line your pan with a sheet of foil (shiny side up). Lay out your dirty jewelry and have each part of the jewelry touch the foil. Not sure why this is important, but apparently it is. (Note: I cleaned my silver and 14k white gold without any problems. I don’t recommend using this cleaner on precious gems, stones, and/or pearls. Not sure what the reaction would be.)

Instructions:

1. Mix 1 cup of boiling water, 1 tablespoon of salt, and 1 tablespoon of baking soda together. Then slowly pour the mixture into the foil lined pan. Use a spoon if necessary to stir and reposition the jewelry.
  2. Now comes the fun part! Slowly add the 1/2 cup of vinegar and watch it do its magic! Bubbles galore cleaning every crevice.
  3. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes. If necessary, use a spoon to stir the salt and baking soda, and to evenly distribute the jewelry.
  4. Rinse in water and dry. Enjoy your shiny jewelry!~

I hope you’ll take all your tarnished and discolored jewelry and give this cleaner a try. It seriously kicks butt!

Good luck and let me know how it goes. πŸ™‚

*note for the super observant readers :) The picture above does not show the β€œbefore and after” of the same chain, but the cleaned chain was just as dirty and tarnished as the dirty chain prior to being cleaned.

1. pastelgirl
    July 2, 2016 / 2:56 am

It works!! I did it on a rose gold necklace that had failed all other methods! I had to scrub it a bit after soaking, gently, with washing up liquid. Then almost all the tarnish slid off.

• July 2, 2016 / 11:13 pm

Success!!!! So glad you shared your story with me! πŸ˜‰πŸ‘

2. Angie Daugherty
    March 17, 2016 / 1:33 pm

Thank you so much for posting this. I’ve tried everything and nothing worked, but this does. I think my days of taking my rings in to be cleaned are over.

• March 19, 2016 / 6:13 pm

Woohoo! Thanks for commenting. I love hearing success stories. Xoxo

• Emmeline
      May 8, 2016 / 6:29 am

I tried this solution on my hubby’s and my platinum wedding band, and my 0.3 carat diamond ring set on white gold and they all came out shiny and sparkly. I think the process cleaned the diamond and made it more sparkly as well.
      I even cautiously tried the leftover solution on a costume jewellery pair of earrings (I DON’T recommend anyone else reading this to try this though as your jewellery could be very different quality to mine!) and it worked to remove the last bits of tarnish off the chain- already used baking soda on it before and most of it was shiny as new, but this last method completely removed everything else. My costume jewellery was made of very good metal and handiwork so the solution did not damage my jewellery. Thank you so much again for such invaluable tips and advice!

Just one question: any idea I can reuse the leftover solution (i.e not throw it out) for other yellow/white gold jewellery that I haven’t had the time to ferret out yet, or do I have to remake the solution again? Just curious. πŸ™‚

• May 8, 2016 / 7:50 am

Great news! Thanks for the comment. Love hearing success stories. Not sure about the leftover solution. I think the chemical reaction does a lot to clean the jewelry. I think the solution will not be effective once the reaction has taken place. I suggest remaking it. πŸ™‚

• Crystal
        June 13, 2016 / 10:04 pm

I was in the process of trying this method cleaning my jewelry and was looking up “how to keep spiders, fleas etc around my screened in patio because I live kind of “in the country” being that summer just started & I live in Florida it’s already getting crazy with bugs! So anyways, I saw online that VINEGAR REPELS FLEAS & SPIDERS they HATE IT!!!! I knew about the flea thing because ive tried it on my dog & wasn’t to impressed…BUT I DECIDED TO GO TO MY PORCH AND POUR THIS CONCOCTION (when I was done with cleaning my jewelry) BY THE PERIMETER trying to spread it as far in a line as it would go & RIGHT AWAY I didn’t even know a SPIDER was there HE WENT RUNNING AWAY! πŸ™‚ So I’m a believer!!! I have sprayed for them poured things on them and nothing has fazed them until now THANK GOD!!! OH AND THE JEWELRY CLEANER IS AMAZING I HAD SO MUCH FUN CLEANING ALL MY OLD STUFF TO SEE THE RESULTS!!! THANKS πŸ™‚

3. March 13, 2016 / 12:34 pm

Thank you so much. I have tried jewelry cleaner, toothpaste, everything. My husband’s gold chain looked so nasty that I finally made him take it off. I found your site and thought I would give it a try. I couldn’t believe how bright and beautiful it turned out. I even threw in my Hearts on Fire diamond wedding ring set and it looks like new again. So excited to find something that really works!!!!!

• March 13, 2016 / 1:54 pm

Thank you so much for your comment! I’m so glad it worked for you too. It really saved ALL my super sticky tarnished jewelry. Please visit again!

4. Adrienne
    February 6, 2016 / 6:54 am

I received a sterling silver ring for Christmas with my children’s birthstones in them it was starting to tarnish and I tried this and it looks brand new again thank you so much I was very disappointed when my ring started tarnishing so quick but now it looks brand new thank you for sharing this!!! Very very satisfied

• February 6, 2016 / 9:37 am

Woohoo! I really love hearing people’s stories about how this DIY brings jewelry back to life. Thank you for sharing!

5. lhdlch
    January 29, 2016 / 8:26 am

thats not the same chain. im not disputing that it works or doesnt work but in the b4 and after picture the chains are not the same, similar, but not the same…

• January 29, 2016 / 9:55 pm

You are correct. I’ve addressed why they are different in the review above. To this day, I still wish I took a photo of all the chains before. πŸ™‚

6. Jen West
    January 25, 2016 / 7:45 pm

Hi do you honk it would work on a mimco rose gold badge?

7. January 16, 2016 / 9:47 am

I just went on your site this morning because I had a lot of jewellery to cleaned. I found that all glitter like gold. The other things are glittering as well. I always used the commercial brand but it ruined quite a few things.I Used all the things that were called for and it worked out fine. If you have a high piece I just put it in a smaller container.

8. Jenny Murphy
    December 30, 2015 / 2:48 pm

This is crazy and wonderfully awesome! I have a pure silver bracelet that my sister gave to me for being her maid of honor ten years ago. The pendant and the heavy-link chain were severely tarnished but I was terrified to use anything on it that may ruin it (it’s priceless to me!) My kids and I are standing here watching the solution bubble away the dirt, tarnish and years of grime, right before our eyes. It has grown visibly brighter and shinier as we watch. I’m an instant fan! No telling how long it would’ve taken me to clean & polish each individual link. I’m kicking myself for not taking a “before” picture- because I can already tell what “after” will look like! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I have a priceless possession- and a beautiful bracelet- back again!

9. Shelly
    December 11, 2015 / 11:13 am

Baking soda and vinegar cancel each other out and only make salt water. The only thing doing the cleaning is what you have more of in the mixture. So skip the vinegar. You just have extra salty water. Science!

• Kay
      February 8, 2016 / 7:33 am

Actually, baking soda and vinegar have a chemical reaction with each other, not cancel each other out. If you are going to claim you know science and how it works, then do your homework and get your facts straight.

• eva
        February 20, 2016 / 3:12 pm

actually, skipping the vinegar works so much faster. lightly used a toothbrush to get the rest off, but it worked without vinegar in 2 minutes.

• Molly Burwell Heaney
        March 5, 2016 / 8:01 pm

Pardon me while I get nerdy.

I knew it had to do with the ALUMINUM in the kitchen foil. That is the missing link to the vinegar and baking soda. Also, you must use VERY hot water. VERY.

I did a quick search regarding this… and found the following at http://www.finishing.com/4600-4799/4785.shtml :”Aluminum is far above silver in the activity series for metals, and in a suitable solution will reduce the silver in the silver sulfide, reforming silver metal. The reaction is spontaneous and rapid in warm water:

2Al(s) + 3Ag2S(s) + 6H2O -> 6Ag(s) + 2Al2(OH)3(s) + 3H2S(aq)”

In that blog, several people said to use Washing Soda instead of Baking Soda. Well, I know from other DIY cleaners that washing soda is simply heated baking soda, which changes composition when exposed to high heat. I do not recall the time it takes in the oven or what temp, but everyone interested in turning sodium bicarbonate into sodium carbonate (soda ash) but it’s out there on google.

Hope that helps. Thanks for the recipe. Looking forward to using your recipe for cleaning up my jewelry tomorrow!

• March 6, 2016 / 10:00 pm

You lost me at the equation! πŸ™‚ I don’t know much about the scientific formula, but I know this works! Thanks for visiting the site and for your comment! xoxo

• December 10, 2015 / 9:57 pm

Thank you for trying it and for your comment! I hope you’ll visit again. πŸ™‚

10. Cynthia
    November 24, 2015 / 1:43 pm

Worked great! Smelled terrible but worked great!

11. Janet
    November 13, 2015 / 4:26 pm

Sorry I cleaned my pandora bracelet with it didn’t work

12. Kaz
    November 13, 2015 / 2:01 pm

I used the same method but substituted the vinegar with washing up liquid on my yellow gold and diamond jewellery (can’t take the credit, I read it somewhere) and it looks just like new, I’m so pleased with it.

• crk8885
      January 6, 2016 / 1:28 pm

Hi Kaz, when substituting the liquid soap for vinegar, did you use a 1/2 c. of soap? Also, what kind of “wash up” soap did you use? Was it liquid dish soap or liquid hand soap? TIA

13. Lee Anne French
    November 4, 2015 / 8:44 am

Presto! This works like MAGIC! I’m a jewelry-maker, and sometimes generous friends bestow me with old costume jewelry that I love to take apart and repurpose. I received just such a lot the other day, but the pieces I was interested in were dull and discolored and tarnished. Since I didn’t pay anything for them, and since they were useless to me in their present condition, I figured I’d try this.
    I am amazed at the results! Every piece – even the ones with little plastic-looking beads in them, came out looking like new. Thanks so much for this! I’ll be using it over and over.

• November 4, 2015 / 6:17 pm

Thank you for visiting, trying and sharing your experience with me!!! Love hearing about success stories. Please share with your jewelry making friends too. xoxo.

14. Marcia
    October 30, 2015 / 9:09 pm

I don’t know if this works are not… If you’ve tried it & it worked, GREAT!
    But those two necklaces in the picture are NOT the same necklace…
    There are two different necklaces!! Sorry…. I might try it, but just saying…..
    The they are different!!!!!!!!!!!(?)

• October 31, 2015 / 9:30 am

I address why they’re different in the post. But nevertheless, both necklaces were filthy… And both came out shiny. Basically the formula works! Thanks for trying and for the comment!!! I’m glad it worked for you too!

15. September 24, 2015 / 6:13 am

I own a couple of pieces that really needed some care, so I put them to the test with this easy DIY cleaner and I’m happy to report that I brought them back to life! This DIY will leave your jewels clean and shiny in less than 15 minutes! Now all of a sudden is like I have new pieces to wear πŸ™‚

16. September 23, 2015 / 2:50 am

I’m impressed! Really nice and easy recipe for homemade jewelry cleaning! I’ll definitely try it soon! Thanks for sharing!

17. Susan
    September 20, 2015 / 3:00 pm

It’s amazing I’ve used it last year on my wedding rings white on gold with diamonds I seen it bubbling & it was cleaning my rings they was completely clean & super shiny looked like brand new wedding ring sets again!! Im going clean again right now.. Love this cleaning solution…Thank You so much !!!

18. KAREN
    September 5, 2015 / 7:22 am

For my vintage jewelry, I use WARM water and blue Dawn dish soap. Gentle and cleans built up oils and dirt. Just don’t use hot water or leave it very long. Some old jewelry has glue, that due to time, will disolve. If it has prongs, leave it in for a little while and then scrub with old toothbrush.

19. August 14, 2015 / 6:10 am

This is amazing! I have few silver necklaces and bracelets that I really like and I have for many years. They have became very dark with time and I didn’t even try to clean them yet! Now that I see this post I think that it is about time to clean my silver jewelry! I know that baking soda has great cleaning abilities so I am sure that the result will be really nice! Thanks for sharing! Greetings!

• Vanessa
      August 22, 2015 / 1:27 pm

Look at the foil after the jewelry is removed. This process is electrochemical and the aluminum returns an electron to the silver. The aluminum is oxidized so the silver can be reduced to its pure metal state. That’s why the piece of jewelry needs to touch the aluminum foil.

20. August 7, 2015 / 8:42 am

I need to try this on my grandmother’s sterling service that got willed to me. My Dad keeps asking me why I don’t set the table with it for holidays; I don’t want to tell him I’m afraid his mother’s silverware would give us all food poisoning…I have silver polish but I wince–and quickly find another chore to do–every time I think about having to stand there and individually polish an 80-piece sterling service set!

21. Brittany
    August 7, 2015 / 7:41 am

The before and after chains are very obviously not the same. Does this really work?

22. truleigh
    July 25, 2015 / 8:42 am

This should ONLY be used on Sterling Silver NEVER on Silver Plate!

23. July 19, 2015 / 2:06 pm

For costume jewelry, I’d just try a polishing cloth. If it needs a little something more you can use a mixture of 1/3 ammonia, 2/3 water and an old toothbrush!

24. Geri
    July 10, 2015 / 3:46 pm

Can this be used for costume jewelry? If not do you know of something

• July 10, 2015 / 9:37 pm

I would not use this on costume jewelry… Not sure what would work for costume jewelry. Does anyone know?!

• Pam
        October 16, 2015 / 12:52 pm

I have lots of jewelry from Kohls that is costume jewelry and it worked great! Did not harm it at all.

• November 4, 2015 / 6:23 pm

Thank you for sharing your results with me!!! Hope you get tons of use of this homemade jewelry cleaner!!! xoxo

25. Lori
    June 26, 2015 / 4:48 pm

I’m wondering how this works on cubic zirconia. I have a lovely sterling silver ring with a huge CZ…?

• Kacey
        August 1, 2015 / 1:48 pm

Yes, it works great! I just cleaned my 14 k gold and cz anklet and it looks amazingly shiny! πŸ˜†

26. June 11, 2015 / 6:57 am

I have a beautiful vintage silver ring with a big blood red amber on it, can I clean it with this cleaner or it’s better to bring it to a jeweler. I mostly clean my silverware and jewelry at home, because I have no time for going to the jeweler. May be I shouldn’t touch the stone and clean the silver part only?

27. Gallo
    June 7, 2015 / 1:08 am

I used ketchup and it worked amazing!

28. Ashlee
    May 29, 2015 / 4:13 pm

Unfortunately my results weren’t great. I did everything as per the instructions and the tarnished pieces are still tarnished, albeit a little less so. I was expecting a miracle and was completey let down

29. Jessica
    May 23, 2015 / 8:01 am

is this safe for rings that have gold and gem stones such as clear quarts and abalone?

• August 7, 2015 / 8:34 am

Do NOT use it on an abalone! Abalone is a seashell, which is calcium-based. Vinegar is an acid and eats calcium; that makes it great for getting rid of hard water stains and soap scum but it will wreck an abalone stone. I wouldn’t recommend it for quartz either.

30. Marlynda Taylor
    May 14, 2015 / 1:05 pm

This works great, but be careful with gem stones. Some of them like amethyst and emerald and any others which are in the quartz family are heat sensitive. Just put them in once the water has cooled down some. Cubic Zirconia are fazed by anything. They are lab grown under high heat and pressure. I fire them in a kiln at 1650 degrees in silver metal clay jewelry, and they are bothered at all.

31. huehue
    May 13, 2015 / 10:09 am

Do you know if this would be safe for black diamonds? My ring is silver with a combo of white and black diamonds. Don’t wanna ruin the diamonds making my ring shiny, haha.

32. April 23, 2015 / 3:50 pm

this really works! I even tried it on some rusty earrings (I have no idea why they became rusty) and it worked! I’m amazed.

33. Carla
    April 22, 2015 / 5:43 pm

I’m always skeptical of things like this but it really does work!!! You can see the results as soon as u dump the vinegar in!!!

34. April 12, 2015 / 11:44 am

My jewelry was so bad it needed a few dips. But my god it worked beautifully. Some of mine needed gentle rubbing with a baby washcloth. My stuff looks almost new now!

• April 12, 2015 / 11:25 pm

Great! So happy to hear that you got your jewelry looking pretty again! Thanks for visiting and for the comment!!! xoxo

35. Alicia
    April 7, 2015 / 11:08 pm

Amazing! My necklace has come out of hiding and back around my neck! So shiny

• April 7, 2015 / 11:50 pm

Woohoo! So glad to hear you’re able to wear your jewelry again! Thanks for sharing your story. xo

36. April 3, 2015 / 6:07 pm

Can I use this on silver and turquoise rings,.bought them in Tucson and they are real silver. What about the stones?

• April 30, 2015 / 11:36 am

I really wouldn’t recommend this for anything with turquoise or opal, they’re very sensitive stones and don’t hold up well even to weak acids.

• August 7, 2015 / 8:37 am

Absolutely not! Turquoise is a very soft stone and vinegar is an acid; it will eat right through it. You might try holding the ring in the mixture with the stone out of the liquid; that will get most of it.

37. Kathy Atwood
    March 29, 2015 / 4:33 pm

How does this work on acrylic ‘gemstones’? I make costume jewelry, some with pretty large stones so I don’t want to mar the surfaces in any way. If this is not advisable to use on them, what might you suggest?

38. Adrian B.
    March 19, 2015 / 5:35 am

My girlfriend sent me the link to this upon asking her how to “restore” the rings that I wear daily; lo and behold, it really worked! So now I have a method to cleaning up my rings whenever needed.

• March 19, 2015 / 8:50 am

Awesome! Thanks for sharing your experience!!! Love hearing that you’re taking care of your rings. Please tell the GF that I said thanks!

39. Unique
    February 28, 2015 / 10:08 pm

This was great! I found an old ring buried in my garden and it looked SO pretty but it was so tarnished as well ): but then I tried this recipe and it worked! I am so happy with the result!

• March 1, 2015 / 2:03 am

So great to hear! I think it’s also fun to see it fizzing! Thanks for visiting, trying the recipe and for your comment. I hope you’ll visit soon!

40. kelsie
    February 23, 2015 / 9:30 am

just tried and worked like a charm! my tiffany necklace was so tarnished and this is the only thing thats worked! thanks!!!

41. Diane Henrick
    February 22, 2015 / 3:07 pm

I have been trying to find a DIY silver jewelry cleaner because I didn’t want to pay someone to do it! Thank you SO MUCH for sharing this! AMAZING! My thick chained necklace came out BEAUTIFUL! I can wear it once again! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

• February 22, 2015 / 9:49 pm

Thank you for trying and for your comment! Seriously love this formula and I’m so happy thinking of all the shiny restored jewelry! Xo

42. mandy
    February 19, 2015 / 5:36 am

This is fake! Two different chains

• February 19, 2015 / 9:19 pm

Hi Mandy. Please read the post…there’s an explanation for the different chains. Thanks for visiting.

43. Ashley
    February 18, 2015 / 7:55 pm

Thanks for the great DIY! It worked well for me, but I don’t know that I’d say it involved no scrubbing. I did end up having to rub everything pretty well, but everything was shiny after that!

44. February 18, 2015 / 4:45 am

OMG! I misplaced the chunky gold necklace that my late father gave to me whilst dying of cancer,which has mortified and haunted me for 2 years. I came across it (in a very safe place) today (18th Feb 2015 – 2 days after the 2nd anniversary of his passing) and was delighted, but it was filthy.

• February 18, 2015 / 3:32 pm

I hope this recipe gets your beloved heirloom shiny and new!

45. em
    February 13, 2015 / 10:32 am

I have to say that my silver and diamond ring came out stunningly shiny. I only have apple cider vinegar and a foil pan along with the rest of the ingredients, but it works wonders!! Thanks for this recipe. It is awesome.

• February 13, 2015 / 10:34 am

Thank you so much for trying and for the comment. Love it with women can help each other! Please visit again!

46. Carine
    February 9, 2015 / 1:40 pm

This is AMAZING, I usually take my wedding ring to the jewelers to remove the yellow on my white gold & dimming ring. To my surprise this homemade cleaner turned my ring to brand new. I can even see threw the diamonds. It also work for silver too. I attest to this 100 times. Thanks for this recipe

• February 13, 2015 / 10:35 am

Love that your ring is looking shiny and new! Thanks for visiting and for your comment. Xoxo

• May 16, 2015 / 7:51 am

be careful with the white gold, most of it is plated with rhodium (a metal in the platinum family); white gold itself is dull, and this is done to make it shiny. I had a jeweller in the family, and got my original wedding band from him, many years ago. When he asked if I wanted it plated, I said no. I’m sure my face was a treat when I first saw it; it was immediately plated! This method of cleaning might remove the plating eventually. I’d check with a jeweller before doing it too often.

47. Chris
    February 7, 2015 / 9:00 am

Fabulous, just did it and it works, can’t wait to wear my new jewelry! Great site!

48. February 3, 2015 / 3:38 pm

wow thanx so much~ finally cleaned these pieces Look Shiny and new! haven’t been able to wear this silver and turquoise bracelet for 5years today I GET TO WEAR IT! A SPECIAL PIECE FROM MY DECEASED MOTHER~ LOVE THESE Diy! <3 <3 <3 peace thank~u!

• February 3, 2015 / 11:21 pm

So glad to hear that you jewelry turned out clean! Thank you for visiting and commenting!!! xo

49. Lynne Coates
    February 2, 2015 / 12:17 pm

This is a magic recipe! I am on a lot of medication and it doesn’t t take long before my silver jewellery becomes tarnished. So annoying! I tried your recipe after discarding a lot of others that did a part-cleaning job so I must admit I was a bit skeptical. To my delight everything I cleaned came out shining and sparkly. I’ve used it on gold, diamonds, emeralds, amethysts but would not use it on pearls. Thank you very much from the bottom of the world (New Zealand)!
    Lynne Coates

• February 3, 2015 / 11:23 pm

I get so happy to read success stories. I really was happy my results too.. couldn’t believe how shiny my jewelry was! Thank you for visiting. I hope you’ll visit again soon!!!

50. marie holland
    January 31, 2015 / 2:20 pm

Do you think it is saf . For cubic. Zirconia?

51. april
    January 29, 2015 / 7:46 pm

Be careful with real pearls!!!!! Vinegar disolves pearls.

52. Deborah Gray
    January 25, 2015 / 10:28 pm

What can I substitute baking soda with, if I don’t have baking soda.??

• January 27, 2015 / 8:43 pm

I’ve never tried a replacement so I can’t speak to that. But that’s a good question. Please let me know if you find a good replacement. Maybe I’ll do a tutorial with the revised formula! Thanks for visiting for the comment. xo

• Melanie MS
      February 18, 2015 / 1:45 am

You can’t use anything else instead of baking soda. None of the other ingredients are necessary either… It’s specifically the vinegar (acetic acid) and the baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) that react and cause the reaction and hence the bubbles. The water actually inactivates both significantly and the salt (sodium chloride) is totally inert in the presence of the acid and base. As a matter of fact, when you combine the acetic acid and sodium bicarb, you get water and salt. The foil also does nothing…you can use any dish.

• Shari
        April 17, 2015 / 4:24 pm

I’ve been using the foil in the pan, baking soda, & salt with really hot water to clean my silver safely for years. Just make sure the silver is below the water line or it could stain and you won’t be able to remove the line. Large pieces can be cleaned in the bath tub, with the foil laying on the bottom. The foil is required because it causes a reaction with the salt, the soda is to soften the water. This process was a science experiment on Mr Rodgers Neighborhood years ago.

53. January 17, 2015 / 9:49 pm

I did this today with my yellow gold, rose gold, white gold, sterling silver with pearls and gemstones and they have all come up brand new. Thank you so much and will PIN this as well…

• January 27, 2015 / 8:49 pm

So glad to hear that your jewelry is shiny and new! Thanks for your comment and for pinning!!! xoxo

54. Isabel
    January 13, 2015 / 4:04 pm

I tried this and it worked great for some of my pieces (all are 925 silver from Tiffany) but one of my necklaces actually turned darker. Tried the solution two more times and left it to soak, tried to use a polishing cloth after the solution under running water and no change. So bizarre because it worked like magic on all my other silver. Thoughts?

55. January 9, 2015 / 6:33 pm

My husband’s and my rings are Black Hills Gold with diamonds. Do you think this would be okay for them?

• April 30, 2015 / 11:39 am

It’ll be fine on diamonds and gold, just don’t use it for opal, turquoise or pearls.

56. Bernie
    December 29, 2014 / 6:17 pm

The best cLeaner EVER, thanks

57. December 20, 2014 / 4:41 pm

I use this exact concoction to clean my tarnished silverware right before the holidays. Saves so much time.

• December 22, 2014 / 7:12 pm

Seriously the best cleaner! Thanks for visiting and your comment. xo

58. Helen
    December 19, 2014 / 5:23 pm

Helen ,
    I bought some jewelry from avon about ten years a go . I tried this cleaner and oh how cool the gold color back .Thank you so much will do this again . It is gold again it was black so yes i will clean it on a routine . you are the best for sharing with all of us . no scrubing .

• December 19, 2014 / 9:42 pm

So glad that your jewelry is shiny and new!!!! Thanks for visiting and please visit again! xoxo

59. Bluebell Ranch @ HEE
    December 3, 2014 / 11:30 am

Wonderful! I would recommend this as the BEST homemade recipe for cleaning silver!

60. December 1, 2014 / 6:29 pm

This worked wonders on my diamond and 14k engagement ring! And true to your promise, no scrubbing! This is the best at home jewelry cleaning process I have found short of jewelry store steam cleaning. The bubbles these ingredients make really get every nook and cranny. I don’t know how some people didn’t get stellar results!
    However, as a certified gemologist I want to warn everyone again, DO NOT use this on pearls, emeralds, opals or any other porous gemstones! (If you don’t know if your stone is porous, google it!)
    Otherwise, a FABULOUS DIY! Thanks for sharing!

• December 2, 2014 / 6:01 pm

I know Kelly! I’m surprised when the results are short of amazing. But there may be a variety of different things that could affect the results. No way for me to tell. πŸ™‚ Thanks for visiting and trying my DIY! So happy to hear you had good results. xo

61. Stephie
    November 28, 2014 / 11:01 pm

Awesome!! I was heartbroken my pandora bracelet was all discoloured and had visions of having to buy a new one. 5 mins in this treatment and it’s like a brand new bracelet!! Can not thank you enough for sharing this tip. A massive thank you and I recommended to anyone!!

• November 28, 2014 / 11:08 pm

I know that feeling of “oh no, my beautiful jewelry!” So glad it worked for you. Thanks for visiting and the comment. Please visit often.
      xoxo

62. kim
    November 28, 2014 / 3:08 pm

Ladies: I see a lot of you saying it didn’t work for you. I wonder if you’re trying to clean PLATED silver jewelry or silver-TONE jewelry? If it’s not actual silver (usually denoted by the piece being stamped somewhere in the metal with “.998”) your problem may be that your jewelry finish is wearing off, instead of it just being tarnished. Think of it as trying to clean a stain off a painted wall vs “cleaning” a section of that wall where the paint has been peeled off. You can’t wash paint back onto the wall if it’s peeled off, you have to repaint it. In the case of plated or silver toned jewelry, you’ll need that jewelry to be re-dipped into a silver plate or coating to restore its luster.

Hope I helped. πŸ™‚

• November 28, 2014 / 11:10 pm

GREAT point. Don’t know why I didn’t think to mention this… I guess I just assumed that my readers would know that this will only work for real metal… Not the fake stuff. Thanks so much for pointing this out. (still scratching my head on why I didn’t think to mention this!) xoxo

• carol
      January 7, 2015 / 6:56 pm

Sterling is .925 silver and copper is added to make the silver harder. The copper is what discolors.

63. Chrustine
    November 28, 2014 / 7:28 am

I tried this recipe to the letter and can say it did work. Just not as well as I thought it would. I was expecting SPARKLING results as posted. A lilltle disappointed. Next time I’m going to try the recipe with the dish soap, similar to this one.

• November 28, 2014 / 11:11 pm

Let me know how that one turns out. Curious to see if you get similar results! Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment!!! xo

64. November 25, 2014 / 5:27 pm

I use it on some old tarnished rings that was old and now they look great

65. Holly
    November 2, 2014 / 6:23 pm

Will this work on fake gold?

66. kimquyen
    October 24, 2014 / 12:30 pm

thank you so much!! =)

67. October 17, 2014 / 4:44 pm

Holy freakin’ crap! This is AMAZING! My engagement ring has never been so sparkly. I used it to clean my 2 rings and necklace, all white gold with diamonds, and they came up perfectly!

• October 20, 2014 / 8:42 pm

Thanks for visiting and trying out the DIY! So easy and effective right? Thanks for the comment. I hope you’ll try my other DIYs!

• November 22, 2014 / 4:25 pm

Perhaps it didn’t work for me because of the type of tinfoil, I have head so many people say it does work so the problem must be me..

• November 22, 2014 / 5:01 pm

Did you put the shiny side up for the foil and have every piece of jewelry touch the foil? I was told that was important. I hope you find something that works for you. In my experience, this has been amazing. Literally took my super tarnished items and made them shiny and new. Good luck. xo

• November 22, 2014 / 4:20 pm

This amazes me, yes the before and after are definitely different articles..
      I am trying it now and it is making no difference at all, have even tried just the salt, in hot water, just the baking soda in hot water, just vinegar in hot water, and in different combinations, even all together but nothing happens.. and I am desperate to get them clean as I am selling them..

• November 22, 2014 / 4:56 pm

Hi. I explain why the articles are different in the post. πŸ™‚ Sorry to hear that it didn’t work for you! My silver was so badly tarnished, it was sticky and this formula worked. Please let me know if you find something that works for you. Thanks for visiting.

68. Cyndi Plaunt
    October 11, 2014 / 5:07 am

Wow I am sooooo impressed! Worked wonderful on my wedding rings and my old class ring!

• October 11, 2014 / 10:25 pm

I was impressed too! So glad you gave it a try. Thanks for visiting and for the comment! xo

69. Pingback: DIY Jewelry #2482
  70. grimalkan
    September 13, 2014 / 10:18 am

Not only does it remove tarnish, it changes the shape of the chain too!

• September 13, 2014 / 6:03 pm

Hello! I actually address the reason why in my post for very observant readers like you. πŸ™‚

71. tessa
    August 16, 2014 / 1:42 pm

just tried this on my ring and it made my aqua marina stone shine like before it was new!!!!!!!!!! I have never seen my ring such a pretty blue. thank you!!!!

72. July 31, 2014 / 6:42 am

Hi, I just tried the solution on my jewelry. My bracelet was really tarnished just after wearing it a bit this last month. I have been going to a thermal pool these past three weeks and the water contains lots of sulphur. I am wondering if that is what made my bracelet tarnish so quickly. I didn’t wear it in the water though. After using the solution my other jewelry seemed brighter but the bracelet still looked tarnished so I took a toothbrush to it with extra baking soda vinegar and salt. Now it looks great! However I didn’t think to do a before and after picture πŸ™ Thank you!

73. Janna
    July 29, 2014 / 10:30 am

Thank you so much- it worked!!!! So happy!!!

74. Courtney
    July 27, 2014 / 7:15 pm

I just tried this on my Tiffany’s heart and ball chain and realized after I started boiling the water I was out of baking soda…put the vigenar and salt in the boiling water anyways and poured into the pan. Wosrt thing that I figured could happen would be it wouldn’t work and I wasted a little vinegar and water..as i pourd the steaming hot liquid into the pan I WATCHED it get cleaned instantly. This works without the baking soda! I wished I had taken a video of it! Coolest thing to see happen! Thank you!

75. Elissa
    July 24, 2014 / 4:51 am

This didn’t work at all. I followed the recipe and the directions to the letter 3 times and my jewelry is still tarnished.

76. cassie
    June 30, 2014 / 12:46 pm

it works!!!! jewels are shiny and new!!! best everrrr

77. MaryAnne
    June 29, 2014 / 7:20 am

Thx for this recipe … I especially like the suggestion to use an aluminum pan. Will this also work on rhodium?

78. Rosa Hinton
    June 19, 2014 / 12:03 pm

Works!!!

79. April 16, 2014 / 12:24 pm

I used to make and sell a “purple jewelry cleaner” that was also amazing but only knew how to make it in 55 gallon drums! Was biodegradable and non-toxic! Anyway, the reason why these cleansers should never be used on Pearls, Opals and costume jewelry, is because they are considered soft stones, they have to be glued into their setting, rather than prong set. Most cleansers will destroy the glue, at least over time. Costume jewelry stones are also usually glued in rather than the labor intensive work of prong set, to keep cost down and make it more affordable. Costume jewelry is also made with “slag” metal or junk metal, definitely sub-standard and doesn’t usually hold up against cleansers either. They can turn ugly colors and sometimes, even soften the metals used in costume jewelry. I don’t claim to know everything about anything but I do know a lot about jewelry cleaners, having sold ours for 25 years all over the country.
    I have now also used this formula and it works every bit as well as our purple jewelry cleaner! Thanks so much for making an old lady, with lots of old jewelry, berry happy!

• Steve
      April 23, 2014 / 6:14 am

I just found this website after researching and trying ways to clean some silver decorations.
      This system works because the sulphur in the tarnish is attracted to the aluminium which is more reactive than the silver, and that’s why you’ll notice a horrible smell of sulphur – and maybe a bit of hydrogen sulphide (bad eggs small).
      I can’t help feeling that the fizzing observed may be some descaling going on due to the acidic vinegar, rather than the tarnish being removed.
      However, it can’t hurt to try both. None of these products will hurt the silver.
      Best wishes,
      Steve

• Penny A Welstead
        April 23, 2014 / 11:21 am

Thanks Steve, I still haven’t bought some baking soda but, I’ve just put it on my shopping list for tomorrow!

80. April 10, 2014 / 7:16 pm

Did this years ago, but instead of foil, had bought a little metal plate at one of the home shows. Found out later about the foil, and just used boiling water and baking soda, didn’t have to add the vinegar and salt. Wonder if that’s to keep it clean longer?

81. penny welstead
    March 25, 2014 / 11:24 pm

Funnily enough, I just wrote Baking Soda on my shopping list but, my elderly mum, is very ill in hospital so, I’m afraid this keeps getting knocked off the top spot but, it’s good to read all the success comments and, I will post as soon as I can!

82. Lisa White
    March 25, 2014 / 10:54 pm

I used this on a 14K white gold ring with diamonds & a 14K yellow gold ring that has white, chocolate, & black diamonds. Nothing was harmed or ruined! All gold & diamonds shine beautifully πŸ™‚ Will use this again & again !!!

83. penny welstead
    March 14, 2014 / 8:31 pm

I’m going to buy baking soda on tues cuz my neck chains are black and im sure mom inlaw would like to see me wear the lovely silver one she bought me a while back.
    I hope to get back to you but, I’m new to this computing lark and achieve most things by accident! Since hubby died, no one to ask or show me!
    Anyway, thank you so much for the info.
    best wishes, Penny

• April 8, 2014 / 12:44 am

Thank you so much for visiting and for the comment!!! Hope your jewelry turns out sparkly and shiny!

• August 16, 2014 / 8:36 am

Penny,thats the way I was when I learned how to use a computer but was shown a little by son then granddaughter.After they showed me how I was left on my own but found out thats the best way.I till don’t know how to do a lot of things on it but at least now I can find my way to posts like this.The good stuff,thats all I care about.haha.Don’t worry you will learn. πŸ™‚

84. Taylor
    March 7, 2014 / 8:38 am

Just wondering if I should be concerned for rings with engraved words? The ink(or whatever is used to color in the engraving) in their etchings wouldn’t be stripped by the vinegar?

85. Linda Fischer Warrick
    February 17, 2014 / 9:19 am

Are you able to use this solution more than once if you keep it well secured in a container? A friend in a nursing home wants something to clean her jewelry from time to time without having to spend $7-8 for store bought. I can make it up for her if it will keep and she can reuse at other times. Please let me know soon. Thanks

• February 17, 2014 / 8:13 pm

I don’t think you can store the solution. The fizzing action is what gets the solution into the crevices of the jewelry which cleans it out so well without any scrubbing. If you do try storing it, please let me know how it turns out. xo

86. Tammy
    February 12, 2014 / 8:14 pm

k…holy…just shared on my FB page, this ACTUALLY WORKED!!! I have tried everything, even buying a so called “jewlery cleaner machine” and was never happy, did this and I am sparkling even in the low lighting bc its night time…cool ! Thanks Tammy πŸ™‚

87. February 5, 2014 / 12:26 pm

wow cleaned my rings beautifully thank you so much… lisa

88. Cheryl K.
    January 18, 2014 / 10:46 am

hmm…just tried this for a very tarnished rope chain….didn’t work at all….i did use cider vinegar as it was all I had but followed exactly…smelled horrible! Was cider vinegar not good to use? I’m thinking that is why it smells so bad. Ugh…now to get this horrid smell out of my house! I’m bummed…going to try just boiling water and baking soda now and see if that works at all.

• April 21, 2014 / 12:54 pm

I don’t think the cider vinegar has the some properties as the white. It’s white distilled vinegar that cleaner. I would try it with that. I’ve cleaned my jewelry with just the white vinegar (no boiling or baking soda) and it’s cleaned them pretty well.

89. amy croushore
    December 27, 2013 / 10:59 pm

do you think this would work on a silver tea service?

• December 28, 2013 / 3:43 am

I don’t see why it wouldn’t work! Good luck and thanks for visiting! Xo

• Carrie
      January 11, 2014 / 8:00 am

Did you try this on the silver service? If so, how did you do it? I have some sterling silver trinket boxes, but wasn’t sure if I should just make up the solution and rub it on with a cotton ball or what?

90. Kristine
    December 13, 2013 / 9:12 am

LOVE this!!!! I put a chain and a ring in to try it out. Both were black (not exaggerating). Bammo! Sparkling! Thank you so very much!

• December 28, 2013 / 3:52 am

So happy to hear you got great results! Thanks for visiting and the lovely comment!

91. nancy seaver
    December 10, 2013 / 2:26 pm

I have been using this recipe for precious jewelry (sterling, 14k gold, platinum for years. It also works wonders on sterling silver flatware. I would NOT use anything but MILD SOAP on semi-precious stones, pearls, or any costume jewelry….unless you can afford to ruin them.

• December 28, 2013 / 3:53 am

Thanks for your comment! Def don’t want to ruin precious jewelry!

92. Jo
    December 10, 2013 / 12:16 am

Worked fantastic on all my gold jewellery including diamond ring thankyou

• December 28, 2013 / 3:54 am

So glad it worked for you. Thanks for trying the diy and for your comment!

93. Sandy
    October 20, 2013 / 12:34 pm

Just tried this on jewelry I have not worn for years. OMG!!! It’s amazing. I actually went on a manhunt around the house looking for more gold and silver to try it on. I was recently thinking of having my white gold ring re-dipped. Not anymore. It looks brand new again. I will definitely use this anytime I need to clean my jewelry. Thanks millions for sharing it!

• October 20, 2013 / 3:09 pm

Thanks for the comment. So glad it worked for you too! I just did this again for some additional pieces. Worked its magic again! Please share with friends and visit me soon!

94. Mary
    October 13, 2013 / 11:58 am

So this will work for my wedding ring? Its white gold…

95. October 9, 2013 / 8:43 pm

Wow ! what a time saver !! Just brought my very tarnished but treasured silver memories to life.
    Very simple, inexpensive & tatnish vanishes before your eyes.

Thank you so much…….I will pass it on πŸ™‚

• October 10, 2013 / 8:21 pm

So glad to hear that your silver is shining bright!~ xo. Thanks for visiting and for the comment!

96. September 14, 2013 / 9:07 pm

Used this on my diamond wedding ring – worked great! Instead of a piece of foil, I used a disposable foil pan (washed so I can keep it for future cleanings!)

97. Mara
    August 21, 2013 / 9:29 am

I have a whitengold necklace with a pendant embedded with small precious stones. The stones were not harmed when I used this cleaner πŸ™‚

98. Sunita
    August 20, 2013 / 7:23 pm

Does this work on fake jewelry?

• August 21, 2013 / 12:56 am

I don’t think you should try this on fake jewelry because I don’t know the effects if would have. It may or may not damage your jewelry, and also depends on what type of material it’s made of. Hope this helps! xo

• April 12, 2015 / 11:36 am

I used it on my fake jewelry and it worked in that it cleaned off all the dirt. But, it won’t return the shine if the silver coating/paint is worn off. Honestly, depending on the state of the jewelry and sentimental value, you’re better off tossing it out and just getting a new piece. Fake jewelry is inexpensive, just get a new one. πŸ™‚

• April 12, 2015 / 11:26 pm

Yeah, it has to be real silver, gold, or platinum…. the fake stuff won’t get shiny. πŸ˜‰

99. Mandy
    July 31, 2013 / 4:46 pm

I just used this to clean mine and my husband’s silver wedding bands. This stuff is great. Our bands were looking pretty dingy and we bought some professional silver cleaner and it made them look worse. I was horrified, but then I found this recipe, tried it, and had success. I cut the recipe in half since I was just cleaning two rings. It apparently didn’t change the cleaning power because they haven’t been this shiny in forever! Thanks for posting the recipe. Will use from now on!

• August 1, 2013 / 9:31 pm

Glad you tried it and got the results you were looking for! Please visit often and continue to gossip with me!

100. virginia
    July 29, 2013 / 10:56 am

DO NOT USE IF YOUR RINGS HAVE STONES””””””””Ruined citrine stone, turned it white. Took it to the jewelry store said they couldn’t do anything with it, they did try to polish the stone. I paid a little over a hundred dollars for the ring. It is ruined.. This does work for just silver..again!!!!! Caution on any type of stone or jem. may discolor.

• August 1, 2013 / 9:32 pm

Thanks so much for sharing. So sorry to hear that your stone got ruined, but glad your silver is nice and shiny. Thanks again for visiting and for the comment. xo

101. Jica
    July 21, 2013 / 7:26 pm

What about hydro peroxide?

102. audrey moore
    July 5, 2013 / 1:40 pm

Fyi jewelry store advised to NOT use tooth paste saying its too abrasive so this is perfect …no scrubbing….

• July 8, 2013 / 9:03 pm

This recipe works so so so well! Good luck and thanks for your comment!

• May 18, 2013 / 6:28 am

I tried toothpaste but it didn’t work because my jewelry were so tarnished, they were sticky! I think toothpaste is great, but this formula is the next level if clean!!! Thanks so much for visiting and sharing!!!

103. kirsten
    May 15, 2013 / 10:10 am

Boiling water and just baking soda work too (using the foil in bowl). No need for the vinegar and salt.

104. [email protected]
    May 3, 2013 / 6:31 pm

Would this be ok do you think with silver rings with diamonds?

• May 3, 2013 / 8:29 pm

I probably would do it as long as there are no pearls… But not sure. Good luck!!

105. Katie Hutson
    April 1, 2013 / 4:39 pm

Could I use baking powder instead of baking soda?

• BrendaCarter
      June 27, 2014 / 2:30 pm

Yes Katie i used baking powder and it bubbled up and worked fine……

106. Jenni
    February 18, 2013 / 8:29 pm

Is this for costume jewelry, or just fancy stuff?

• February 19, 2013 / 10:36 am

I used this on silver, gold and platinum. Worked great!

• January 24, 2013 / 10:22 pm

Thanks you for visiting and commenting. I was so happy with the results. πŸ™‚ I couldn’t believe how easy it was to do… natural, easy, and best of all~ no brushing or scrubbing. Let me know how it goes! xoxo.

107. Amber
    January 24, 2013 / 4:43 pm

LOVE this! I’m sharing on Pinterest!

• January 24, 2013 / 10:24 pm

Yahoo!~ Love Pinterest. I’ve pinned on my DIY board too. πŸ™‚ Thanks for stopping by, commenting, AND Pinning!!!

• Patricia Burns
        May 6, 2013 / 9:59 am

Wonder can use silver or gold . Thanks !!!!