Revlon has also jumped on the BB Cream bandwagon. I picked up the Revlon PhotoReady BB Cream a couple of months ago, but haven’t really used it until recently. Keep reading to see my full review of Revlon’s PhotoReady BB Cream, plus some comparisons to other popular BB Creams.
Revlon PhotoReady ($8.49) vs. Other BB Creams
- Revlon: I purchased in Light. Although it’s yellow-y enough, it’s too light for my skin tone. Not a perfect color match but the coverage is so sheer, it blends in fine. (Available in Light, Light/Medium, and Medium)
- Maybelline Dream Fresh in Light is similar to Revlon’s Light shade. Too light for me. Full review and swatches here.
- Garnier Skin Renew in Light/Medium leans pink. Full review and swatches here.
- Skin79 VIP Collection looks gray in the swatch below, but it actually blends very well with my skin tone. The bet match out of the bunch. Currently my favorite BB Cream. Full review and swatches here.
- Revlon: Not as heavy as a cream, but definitely thicker than a lotion… like a soft cream. Spreads easily.
- Others: Maybelline has a watery lotion consistency. Garnier and Skin79 (Gold Collection) have a very creamy consistency which probably makes it too greasy for oily skin types. FYI: Garnier just released an oil free version! Stay tuned for a review on that. If you’re interested in Skin79, click here to see how to choose the perfect Skin79 BB Cream for your skin type.
- Revlon: This formula is oil free. Depending on how oily or dry your skin is, you can use this BB Cream alone or over a moisturizer.
- Others: Maybelline is another good option if you have oily skin. It’s very watery. Garnier and Skin79 are very moisturizing, perfect for dry skin like mine.
- Revlon: A few minutes after application, it becomes semi matte. Quite pleased with the finish. If you have dry skin, matte and semi matte finishes tend to settle in fine lines and wrinkles, so you’ll want to make sure your skin is properly hydrated prior to application.
- Others: Maybelline has a nice semi matte finish as well. Garnier has a shiny finish which is challenging for oily skin.Skin79 has a dewy finish which is great for my dry skin.
- Revlon: Light sunscreen scent.
- Others: Garnier’s scent irritated my eyes. The other BB Creams are not fragranced.
- Revlon: As you can see, there’s not much difference in the before and after photos. It provides the sheer coverage of a tinted moisturizer at best. Seems to be a running theme for American drugstore brand BB Creams.
- Others: Of the four I’m comparing today… Skin79 has the best coverage. Hands down. See more details here.
- Revlon: SPF 30 is a lot higher than other drugstore BB Creams. Before you get too excited and throw out your sunscreen, let’s take a closer look at the ingredients. Octinoxate 7.5% and Octisalate 5% protects against UVB rays. Titanium Dioxide 6.5% protects against UVB and short UVA radiation. Unfortunately, long UVA rays are the culprit for sun damage and aging! I suggest using a separate sunscreen to protect against long UVA rays. If you want more information on UVA, UVB, and SPF… check out this post.
- Others: For more information, please check out the individual full reviews. Maybelline Dream Fresh: review here | Garnier: review here | Skin79: review here
- Not bad, but like many other drugstore brand BB Creams… it’s more like a tinted moisturizer than a traditional BB Cream.
- The sunscreen scent is very subtle, but my eyes are super sensitive so it bothered me a little while I was applying. Thankfully, the scent went away within 5 minutes.
- Aside from the shades, the main difference between Revlon’s PhotoReady and the other BB Creams is the consistency. If you’re looking for a drugstore BB Cream that’s not too watery (like Maybelline) or thick/creamy (like Garnier and L’Oreal), you should give Revlon a try. It’s consistency is somewhere in the middle… like a soft cream.
If you want to continue your search for your perfect BB Cream, please check out my other BB Cream reviews here: More BB Cream Reviews.
I hope this review has been helpful!
Which BB Cream is your favorite?!