{How To} Get Beachy Waves with No Heat!

Hello Lovelies!

My first No Heat Waves Tutorial got SO much love from my readers (thank you!), I thought I’d share another easy way to get beautiful beachy waves without using any heat! What’s the difference between my first no heat tutorial and this one? With today’s technique, you can sleep while it works it’s magic!

I’ve tried other overnight wave/curl techniques and always been disappointed. Here’s my beef with the other techniques:

• Sleeping with rollers and buns in your hair is uncomfortable!
  • Even after enduring an uncomfortable night of sleep, you wake up with random dents and out of control curls!
  • There’s been so many times where I’ve had to (re)wash my hair because the curls are not uniform. Maybe you get lucky and the right side of your hair turned out great… well, what about the other half? I’m never lucky enough to get both sides looking equally good. An uncomfortable night of sleep for nothing.

If you know what I’m talking about… I think you’ll be happy with this overnight, no heat wave technique. 😉 So, enough with the talk! I’ll let the pictures speak for themselves. Here’s a photo I recently shared on Instagram showing off my no heat waves.

Impressed? Curious how I got these beachy waves without heat, a blow dryer, or a curling iron? Here’s a step by step tutorial on how to get gorgeous {no heat} waves!

Overnight {No Heat} Waves Tutorial:

Before bed…

1. Wash your hair and let it air dry a bit. When your hair is slightly damp, split into 2 sections (right and left). Use a little curling cream if you like. Take a section and start twisting at the roots/base, all the way to the ends. Here’s the key: Twist well and make sure you’re combing your hair with your fingers as you’re twisting. You want to make sure even the ‘center’ of your twists are twisting too (think funnel of a tornado).
  2. Once you’ve twisted to the ends, bring the ends to the crown of your head and clip (buy here and  here). Then use 1-2 more to help keep the twist in place.
  3. Twist the other side in the same direction (twist both sides away from face, or towards face). Bring the ends to the crown of your head right along the first twist. Use the same 2-3 clips to hold both twists in place. Re-position clips as needed, making sure both ends of the twists have a clip securing them.

In the morning…

• Remove the clips and piece the curls. Or just flip your hair over and back. Viola! You should be quite happy with your “Oh, I just rolled out of bed looking this good” waves!
  • I didn’t use any hairspray in any of my photos, but spraying a little will help hold the curls even longer.

Additional tips:

1. Clips with the “no slip grip” are helpful. You can get them here and here.
  2. Take a look at the 1st photo below. I used 2 smaller clips on the ends of my hair and used a bigger clip right in the middle to further secure the hold. Pay close attention to securing the ends properly so that the ends dry in the twists. This will help create uniform waves throughout the lengthen of your hair.
  3. If you have super straight hair and are super picky about the ends curling just right… in the morning, unclip and while your hair is still in the twists, take a curling iron and lightly curl the two ends of the twists. Then flip your hair over to see your beautiful waves!
  4. Don’t worry if your long hair is creating a long “u” shape in step 2 (see 2nd photo below). You may feel like you have floppy ears.
  5. Since the twists are at the sides of your face, you can sleep comfortably on your back. Are you a side sleeper?! Sorry…  well at least you can take this opportunity to change your sleeping position. Dermatologists recommend sleeping on your back over any other position anyway because it helps prevent premature wrinkles and aging on your face and neck! 🙂 Just sayin.

Go to bed looking like this…

… and wake up looking like this! Now that’s some good beauty sleep!

I hope this tutorial has been helpful! If you have any questions or suggestions, please let me know in the comments below. Want more tutorials like this?!… Check them out here!~

Thank you for visiting and I hope you’ll visit soon!

What are some of your favorite hair tricks?!

I’m social, please come find me and say hi!

1. Heidi
    June 25, 2016 / 7:43 am

I’m going to try this tonight. For those of us that tend to have frizzy hair, I just read the other day that drying your hair with paper towels rather than a regular towel should help. Regular towels cause friction which then causes frizz. Also it’s important to pat hair dry between palms of hands rather than rubbing it. Patting helps keep the cuticle straight. Another thing that seems to work for me is to mix up my own salt water to use in a spray bottle that can spray a thin mist. This makes my thick, course hair soft. Recipe below.
    ●mix 1C warm water with 1T sea salt in a glass measuring cup until salt dissolves.
    ●in separate bowl mix 1T MELTED, unrefined organic coconut oil & 1T hair gel OR leave-in conditioner, then add it to salt water mixture.
    ●pour into spray bottle with a fine mist setting, add a few drops of your favorite essential oil (This is optional. I like lavender and/or lemon).
    ●shake bottle right before and periodically while using. Hold up sections of hair and spray from roots to tips. Work thru hair with fingers then proceed with the steps of this beach wave tutorial.

2. Holly
    March 24, 2016 / 12:34 pm

Question/opinion. I have really wanting to have my hair up for my ceremony of my wedding & down & curly/wavy for the reception. Is there a “pretty” way to put your hair up by twisting? I think this would look better once I let it down instead of curling first then up then down.

3. E
    February 17, 2016 / 8:29 pm

I heard blow drying your hair is better than air drying? What do you think?

• bee
      April 13, 2016 / 10:18 pm

i dont think thats correct because heat is bad for your hair- causing split ends and killing your hair. when you let your hair dry naturally it tends to know what its doing.

4. Mia
    December 3, 2015 / 5:33 pm

I am going to try this out now I believe it will work

• December 3, 2015 / 8:57 pm

Good luck! Please tag me in your photos so I can see 😉

5. November 19, 2015 / 8:29 pm

Twisted, clipped, and ready for beauty sleep! Hope to see how it comes out in The morning!!!!❤️😜💤😴

6. lana
    September 1, 2015 / 5:35 pm

It would be a lot easier of you made a video ._.

7. Sarah
    June 13, 2015 / 6:25 am

Thanks so much for this! Helped so much. Next time I do it Ill have to separate my hair into 4 sections though since my hair is shorter. 🙂

• June 14, 2015 / 10:23 pm

Good idea! Please tag me so that I can see your beautiful hair! xoxox and good luck.

8. Jazz
    April 20, 2015 / 5:21 am

Didn’t work on me… I woke up and it looked I used braids

9. April 4, 2015 / 2:11 am

Great blog post! I tried this last night, and had some success with it; I think with a bit of practice i’ll be able to get it just right. Thanks! :o)

• April 6, 2015 / 10:40 pm

Great! I’m glad you tried it. Everyone has different texture of hair, so you’ll have to figure out what works for you! Keep at it and please share photos with me on Instagram (@prettygossip) if you’re on it!
      xoxo

10. Ayana
    February 24, 2015 / 7:42 pm

My hair is super long and the twists go past the end of my head. This means I can’t really pin them. What can I do?

• nicha
      May 18, 2015 / 9:32 am

You can make another turn back and clip it with the other trail of hair.

11. monica
    December 30, 2014 / 4:43 pm

hey this is the first time i heared about this and nothing like this works on my hair and i have tried everything. but curlers work :/

12. December 11, 2014 / 9:40 am

Thanks for the tutorial! This is so much better than a curling iron! Tried it – loved it! Also, good investment with the no slip hair clips!

13. Lily J
    November 18, 2014 / 3:10 pm

Do you have a video of this? I’m confused on how to twist the hair 🙁

14. just.randomly.looking.girl
    October 13, 2014 / 6:30 am

my hair is super thin but I love strong curls but messy too! What if I twisted it tightly but flicked my hair around a bit? Would that work? =D and btw you look amazing!!!!

• October 20, 2014 / 8:43 pm

Give it a try and let me know how it works out! 🙂 xo

• Kat
        January 2, 2016 / 6:03 am

I used hairspray after I put it up because the clips weren’t holding my hair very strongly and I also put it in a turbie twist to keep it in place. I was really hoping this would work but it didn’t. I probably shouldn’t have used hairspray. Fun fact: instead of spraying hairspray on your hair, spray it on your hands because it won’t get your hair as sticky and crunchy.(only do if your hair is down)

15. Chia
    August 16, 2014 / 7:02 am

Hi I made mine and my hair was looking like I curled it with a curling iron which I didn’t and when I did the process my hair was more wet then dry like even in the morning I can still feel the wetness. Also I made my curls really tight and I don’t know if the center part of my hair got twisted so I would like u to tell me if your supposed to twist tight or loose and I have baturally wavy hair and I want the curls like u have so can u tell me exactly what u did cuz I want this to be my first day of school look plzzzzz help thanx

16. Mary
    August 5, 2014 / 6:30 am

Thank you so much. This turned out perfectly. Whenever I try to “wave” my hair, it usually ends up horribly tangled, straight (as usual) or too curly. This is perfect.

17. Kiddo
    July 24, 2014 / 7:04 am

Thank you for this “how to” – I have been trying to curl my hair for years but my hair is so stubborn nothing seems to make the curl stay, unless it goes wrong and goes too curly – then I can’t get rid of the damn curls!! Lol. This method gave me lovely relaxed beachy waves 🙂 I used bobby pins as I don’t have any of those clips but it still worked fine. I wrapped a bandana around to help keep it all in place while I slept, and I even managed to sleep on my side no problem. I ran a small amount of product though my hair the following night and pinned it up again so I could get a second day of beachy waves and it worked perfectly. Love this so much, I can’t believe my hair can look so good with so little effort 🙂

18. Xiomara
    July 1, 2014 / 7:02 pm

I did this once, but my hair but it just turned out frizzy. 🙁

19. Michelle
    June 28, 2014 / 5:46 pm

I have thick straight Asian hair but when I woke up it was really frizzy!
    Any idea on how to stop the friz?

• October 26, 2014 / 3:18 pm

i haveint done it but i imagine you could use some styling sprays or creams in the morning to decrease frizz?

20. June 10, 2014 / 4:55 am

How about if we took a bath. How will it last? :(( Help plzz.

21. Meaghan
    April 5, 2014 / 5:19 pm

The top half of my hair looks great when I do this, but the bottom (especially the ends) almost look crimped…it doesn’t look very good. I love this idea and I really wish the bottom would look as great as the top! Any suggestions?

• Candace
      July 27, 2014 / 10:31 pm

Maybe twist the two separate pieces like she said, but then make the two pieces come together into one twist near and at the ends. Only problem would be that you would have to make one side twist away from your face while the other side twists toward it to make the ends come together properly. I’m not sure if this makes sense but it’s worth a shot! For those experiencing frizzy hair, keep twisting your pieces in your hands – the oils in your fingers will tame your loose strands and make them really soft 🙂 hope this helps!

22. March 19, 2014 / 11:48 pm

Awesome idea.. These can help hair from damage and breakage. My heart full thanks for these amazing ideas of you. Every women wants to look beautiful, hair does a vital role in it. Healthy hair makes a women look beautiful and a well suited hair style can double her beauty looks, that is the reason women look for healthy and thick tresses.

23. Nikki
    February 26, 2014 / 1:40 pm

I love this idea I haven’t tried it yet but I have supper straight hair and when you clip them do you clip them straight to the opposite side of you head ?

24. alisha
    February 17, 2014 / 7:18 pm

this is my favorite method! but one side of my hair always straightnes out… even if one that side i do 2 twists it will straighten like there will be small waves.. the other side will stay perfect hahah! but still my favorite method 🙂 thaanks

25. Irene Chen
    February 10, 2014 / 9:24 pm

Does this work with medium-short hair?

26. Elise C.
    January 23, 2014 / 2:14 pm

Oh and I forgot to mention, I did leave my hair damp when I did this both ways!

27. Elise C.
    January 23, 2014 / 2:12 pm

I love this idea and wish my hair would curl so beautifully as yours did in the picture, but I tried this at home and woke up with super frizzy hair with practically no curls at all! My hair is very thick and I have a small amount of layers. I’ve tried your other tutorial for beachy waves but nothing seems to be working for me. It’s feels like ages I’ve been looking for a perfect solution to great no heat beachy waves! I’m starting to think my hair hates me. I twisted them pretty tight and kept it on my head overnight with bobby pins. Sadly the clips don’t stay too well in my hair. Any solutions or other ways to get pretty no heat curls? Help?!?!

• April 3, 2014 / 5:52 am

@Elise C. Using a little curl creme or mousse might help with the frizz and give you more curls. Work the product in and then let your hair dry to damp then twist and secure.

• S
      September 3, 2016 / 10:32 pm

French or Dutch braids work wonders!!!! Try using a Morrocan oil to calm the friz before trying any method (hopefully I spelled that right) haha
      I have also found a french twist really works. Im not sure how to explain it so you can look up a video on it😉 Here are some tips: Always use a rubber band once you twist it before you pin it on top of your head.
      When you pin it put a cotton pad over the ends of the hair on top of your head and then pin it with Bobby pin in a x formation. I know it sounds funny but it helps it to stay in place and eliminate any bobby pin dents that may happen. Hope this helped! <3

28. maddie
    January 21, 2014 / 6:07 pm

this didn’t work for me ): in the morning i take the clips out but the twists just come undone and there’s not many waves in my hair, just at the very very tip. any advice if im doing anything wrong?

29. Sophie
    January 16, 2014 / 1:38 pm

Wow your hair looks gorgeous like this…I can’t wait to try this!

• January 19, 2014 / 2:13 pm

Good luck! If your on Instagram, please tag me (@prettygossip) so I can see!

• karisssssss
        March 19, 2014 / 12:13 pm

My friend tried this and it turned out beautifully! I have thick straight/slightly wavy hair so can i do this with wet hair?!? And also how can i make the curls hold all day? Plz reply ♡♥♡

• April 8, 2014 / 12:45 am

I recommend doing this to almost dry hair. If it’s too wet, it won’t dry and the waves won’t be able to hold. 🙂 If you like, you can spray some hair spray to help hold the waves. Good luck~

30. Sabrina
    January 12, 2014 / 3:02 pm

could mousse or hair gel be used?

• January 19, 2014 / 2:15 pm

I didn’t use any products, but definitely could be used. Just depends on your type of hair and if it’ll need it or not. 😉 good luck!!!

31. Breonna
    January 12, 2014 / 2:59 pm

I tried this and when I woke up I had super tight curls instead of natural curls. When I tried separating them they fluffed up and I resembled a poodle!!! What could I be doing wrong? Please help! 🙂

• January 19, 2014 / 2:17 pm

Everybody’s hair is different so you’ll have to modify/adjust to make it work for you. You might want to try looser twists, or even rolling a sheet of papertowel then using it to twist with your hair? This may give you loser curls. Good luck!

• Dionna
      March 14, 2014 / 12:04 pm

Well Are u using Mousse before u Start

32. Ketsyaris
    December 25, 2013 / 11:46 am

does it work in a few hours?

• December 28, 2013 / 3:48 am

Really depends on your type of hair… If you have fine hair and your hair is just slightly damp, it probably will. Good luck!!!

33. November 21, 2013 / 12:27 am

Love your tutorial. Your hair looks beautiful. I’ve been using a slightly different method for quite some time before I saw how you do it. I wash my hair & while still wet I put a lot of mousse then make a “ringlet” on each side and leave them down. It works great too. I really like the idea of pinning them up though, but when I tried to find what kind of hair clips you use the pages all said “error”. Can you please let me know what kind of clips you use & where I may be able to buy them? Thanks so much!

34. Bethhhhhhh
    November 20, 2013 / 1:08 pm

Hiya, i love the idea of this but my hair is fine but medium length would it still work haha xo

• Sammie
      April 14, 2014 / 2:07 pm

I have medium length hair too :). I’m trying it right now, but I don’t think the length matters as long as you have enough hair to twist and pin up

35. rosie
    November 15, 2013 / 6:03 pm

omg it worked. my hair has not looked any better. thank u so much. this is the best tutorial. i am gonna recommend it to my friends

36. Steffany
    November 13, 2013 / 3:36 am

Well I tried it and one side is beautiful and curly but the other side is straight. It does this every time I tried it. Any solutions?

37. b
    November 12, 2013 / 2:33 pm

OMG!!! i did this and it totally worked! i was a little skeptical but i tried it and in the morning i woke up took it out instant curls and the curls held the whole day and i was running around everywhere too! it looked like right before i went to the beach for 3 hours and it was so amazing!! i got a ton of compliments too!! i am totally doing this everyday from now on!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!

38. Alexandra
    November 12, 2013 / 1:25 pm

Would this work for layered thick hair? And will it work if I do 4 sections because if i do that, wouldn’t it be more curlier and wavy? Please reply ASAP! <3

39. rosie
    November 10, 2013 / 12:19 am

i am so trying this. cant wait. hope it works because i have short hair. i tried to get my hair curly but it hasnt worked out.

40. Nikki
    November 4, 2013 / 4:25 pm

What if you don’t have these clips? What can I use instead?

• November 4, 2013 / 9:29 pm

I highly recommend clips… but bobby pins might work, although they may leave little dents if you have straight hair. Good luck!

41. Beth
    October 24, 2013 / 5:34 pm

I did this and I love it! It is so easy in the morning and it even holds in my stick straight hair!!!! Thank you!!!

42. Lucy
    October 24, 2013 / 10:05 am

What can you us if you don’t want to buy the clips

43. Adelyn Finley
    October 20, 2013 / 7:25 am

What curling cream do you suggest?

44. alexandra ramirez
    October 17, 2013 / 5:14 pm

Omgg imr trying this right noww! /.^ lol i hopeee this worksss!!! If it doesnt i swearrr ill die! Cause i HATEEE! ponytails & the way i look in themm >:-(. Soo i REALYYY!! hope this workss! Thank youuu!!!

45. Rebecca Evans
    October 15, 2013 / 6:49 pm

im doing it tonite beacause my hair is never curling thanks for these tips

46. Cierra
    October 14, 2013 / 7:02 pm

I’m trying this tonight, and hopefully my curlies don’t turn out to tight seeing as how my hair is naturally wavy.
    I got my hair up and I’m headed to bed!

47. October 9, 2013 / 3:16 pm

Ever since if found this tutorial I have been using it non-stop! It doesn’t always turn out the way I thought but its looks super cute.

48. October 9, 2013 / 3:01 pm

Going to try this tutorial tomorrow! Would you recommend getting beach waves spray or something to go with it, or should it be fine on its own?

49. melisa
    October 6, 2013 / 9:02 pm

i love your idea i hope it turns out beautiful for school 2marrow!

50. September 25, 2013 / 2:57 am

Really works well to my hair.. Perfecto! 😀 the curl stick out almost whole day.. I usually spent about 1 hour to curl my hair with curling iron, but it loose within 2 hours later..hahaha Bunch Thanks for this smart tutorial… Check out my result..

51. September 22, 2013 / 10:03 pm

What will happen when you have wavier hair to start with? Does it still turn out like your pictures? I know that each hair type is different…but I hope it works – I’m trying it out tonight. 🙂

52. Yeliane
    September 19, 2013 / 7:25 pm

Hey my hair likes to frizz up and get curly when I air dry it.and i have no idea what to do! Please help

53. carolina
    September 2, 2013 / 11:06 pm

Would it still work if I use bobby pins?

• September 6, 2013 / 6:21 pm

I tried this the other night and every night since and it was so easy and the curls lasted all day. Thank you so much for saving me so much time spent with the curling iron. It works so well and looks awesome and no heat damage. love it! I’m smiling! :)s

• September 8, 2013 / 10:58 am

Glad you like it! Thank you for visiting and for sharing your experience with all of us! Xo

54. Naiya
    August 29, 2013 / 12:39 pm

I have a question… How do I twist my hair making sure the middle is also being twist??? I tried this and it worked great, but the parts in the middle were still straight. So how do I get the middle parts too?? 🙂

55. Lacey
    August 29, 2013 / 5:49 am

It worked! The only thing is the top of my hair is a little frizzy.

56. Lacey
    August 27, 2013 / 4:26 pm

Do you think this would work with medium length hair as well? My hair falls around 2-3 inches below my collar bone. It was as long as yours but I cut it a few months back. I wish hair grew faster!

Anywho, I’ve been trying to find a way to make my hair look pretty without heat and this looks promising! 🙂

• August 27, 2013 / 11:25 pm

thank you for visiting and for your comment! Good luck!!

57. Angela
    August 24, 2013 / 5:25 am

It worked!!! Thank you so much!! <3 the only thing I'm wondering about is, my hair didn't end up in big almost ringlets like yours, mine are tighter almost like a braid… Could I fix this?? Maybe by not twisting so tight or starting with dry hair?

• August 24, 2013 / 11:16 am

Great to hear! Yes, if they were too tight, try it with more dry hair and twisting more loosely. Each person has to find the perfect combo for their the of hair! Thx for the comment!!!

58. Cassie Wallace
    August 23, 2013 / 4:25 am

Hey how can I keep the curls out of my face and off my neck with out putting bend my hair

59. BkHolic_14
    August 16, 2013 / 5:48 am

would that work for short hair? because then everything would start to come loose since my hair is so short… 🙁
    Any ideas??
    Thanks so much for this post tho! I can’t wait to try it out when my hair gets longer! 🙂

• October 22, 2013 / 4:49 pm

If your hair is very short, try twisting your hair into two tiny buns on the back or middle of your head, then spray with some strong hairspray. Go to sleep, then remove the bun’s elastics & *bobby pins, *(optional step) and don’t worry if it’s messy. twist your hair with your finger to define it, then pull it apart and twist to define again, and then you will have loose waves/curls.

60. yomna
    August 13, 2013 / 7:33 am

this looks helpful and effective ill try it and tell you the results

61. pavi
    August 10, 2013 / 1:51 am

hi…i loved ur posts…my hair is very dry and rough..can u pls suggest something for tht?

• August 10, 2013 / 10:17 pm

thank you so much for your comment. I would suggest the hair mask for the dryness! Here’s the link (click here) and good luck!

62. Rebecca
    August 4, 2013 / 2:21 am

So Sad this didn’t work for me. I suspect it’s my hair type. I have long thick hair which frizzes easily. Firstly it didn’t dry properly, so next time I try this I will start dry and spray with a bit of water. Secondly the ends ended up frizzy and extra specially curly at the ends. Ah Well think I’ll bung it all into a sock bun today and try this another day with a few differences.

• August 4, 2013 / 2:24 pm

Sorry to hear this one didn’t work out. At least the sock bun tutorial worked for you!

Yes, try starting with dry hair, add a little curling cream, and a spray of water before twisting. Hopefully it’ll work! Good luck and let me know how it goes! ❤

63. Kennedy Knight
    August 3, 2013 / 9:54 pm

Thank you so much for this tutorial!! I’m going back to school soon, and last year I usually just put my hair up in a bun or ponytail… but that eventually got boring, and I’m hoping this year to go for the “hipster” look and it seems like this trick is going to do just that!! So thanks again:):)

64. Taylor Brianna
    July 29, 2013 / 2:18 am

Do u think you could use bobby pins to anchor your hair a little bit because I have thick smooth hair so it will probably slip out through the night do u think the bobby pins will mess up the waves at all??

65. i♥rock
    July 22, 2013 / 6:21 pm

This is so totally awesome! I have straight, black hair that’s as long as yours, and your trick totally did the trick! 🙂 Thank you so much for sharing! U r a lifesaver! ♥♥♥xx♥♥♥

• July 26, 2013 / 12:54 am

So glad it worked for you too. thanks for visiting and for your comment. Please visit again and let me know how things go! xo

66. rOyal5
    July 22, 2013 / 4:52 pm

Great tutorial ! Writing it with my hair in the same ummm position ? Well you do a great job , especially with the comments 😉

67. RevenantBlue
    July 21, 2013 / 3:40 am

It works great, fell out in the middle of the night though, damn smooth hair! Had really nice soft waves anyway, gonna try again tomorrow, very easy to do and looks very pretty. I found it easier to lightly dampen my hair so its only part wet and it worked very well.

• July 21, 2013 / 10:07 am

Thanks for the comment! Yes, dampening the hair slightly may work better. I highly suggest the non slip clips I mentioned on the post! Links up on the post 😉 good luck!

68. caitlin
    July 18, 2013 / 10:12 am

I tried this last night! Compliments on my waves today at work! i feel cuter! I have thinish hair and it is no where near as pretty as yours but i still like the results. I used a texturizing beachy wave cream and spray with it to make sure the curls hold. they have so far and it is REALLY humid out! They are tighter than yours so tonight i will try again looser to see what happens. thanks!

• July 18, 2013 / 12:27 pm

Amazing! Love hearing about success stories. Thanks for coming back and letting me know. Xoxo

69. Lexie
    July 9, 2013 / 5:16 pm

How do I make sure the clips dont fall out of my hair when I sleep?
    I’m trying it tonight and I will take a picture and tag you in it on instagram so you can see the results! 🙂 Thank you!

70. Chanel
    July 8, 2013 / 6:53 pm

I tried the other way first, without doing it over night. I had some minor success but since I didn’t have time to let my hair properly dry I wound up with waves at the bottom and not so much at the top and then my hair was still a little damp. I enhanced by scrunching with some hairspray, and that worked a little. But since I really don’t have time to try that every morning, I’m going to give it a try with the overnight way. I have really thin, baby fine hair that is something between wavy and straight, depending on the day. I’ve read through the comments and I’m going to try your suggestion with rolling damp hair around a paper towel to keep it from being too tight. I’ve been sleeping with my hair in buns for years when I wanted to do something with my hair the next day, so I hope this works out. I hate losing sleep.

71. Livvvy
    July 7, 2013 / 10:42 pm

I’m really upset because it didn’t end up working for me, I took the clips out, curls wow so nice! Shook my head and they immediately fell out and about 5 minutes of the waves and it was straight again. Mad>:(

• July 8, 2013 / 8:57 pm

Sorry it didn’t work for you! Was your hair damp when u twisted and completely dry when you let the clips out? What type of hair do you have?

72. July 7, 2013 / 6:25 am

I tried this last night. I have extremely think hair (absolutely not complaining) and I air dried until it was about 85% dried. 7 hours later, it’s still damp. 🙁 suggestions?

• July 8, 2013 / 8:59 pm

Thanks for the comment! I would start with 100% dry hair, and would just spritz it lightly with water, and add a tad but of curling cream (making sure it doesn’t make my hair too wet again) then twist and sleep. Hope this works for you! Good luck!!

73. Kitty
    July 7, 2013 / 6:07 am

Hey! I haven’t tried this yet but I’m really looking forward to as yours looks so pretty! I have naturally dead straight hair, its just past my shoulders and really thick do think it would work? I’d really appreciate if you could get back to me. Thx!!

• July 8, 2013 / 9:00 pm

It should, just make sure you start with almost dry hair and let it completely dry in the twists! Good luck!!!

74. Ariel
    July 6, 2013 / 10:40 pm

Omg !thank you so much for this tutorial . I’ve always wanted curly hair and now this has become my daily routine. I was looking on every hair blog out there and very few of them worked because I have very thick and long hair. But ever since I found your blog I have a website I can tell my friends and family about ! But ya thank you so much!!!!!!!

• July 8, 2013 / 9:02 pm

Thank you for your comment and for visiting!!! Good luck and please stop by often!

75. McKenzie McClenahan
    June 17, 2013 / 5:00 pm

So how many clips are you supposed to use?

• June 17, 2013 / 8:27 pm

There’s no right or wrong.. but I’m usually good with about 3-4. Good luck!~

76. Thu
    June 17, 2013 / 3:10 pm

I have thick but shortish hair that goes a bit past my shoulders, do you think that this will still work on it? I plan to do it tonight

• June 17, 2013 / 8:28 pm

Worth a try! It’s a bit harder with short hair, but good luck! Please let me know how it goes. If you’re on instagram, be sure to tag me!

77. June 15, 2013 / 6:02 pm

i have long strasight hair and my husband always asks me why I never curl my hair I say b/c I am to lazy and I don’t like to use heat and all the products on my hair. I am going to try this tonight when I go to bed I never blow dry my hair and my hair is always wet when I go to bed so I will let you know if it works for me. When I have curled my hair it takes a lot of hairspray to hold I.

• June 15, 2013 / 6:38 pm

I would just make sure that your hair has some time to air dry before you twist and put it up. Your hair won’t be dry in the morning if you don’t, which will not allow your hair to hold the curls. Good luck!

78. Mary
    June 11, 2013 / 3:44 pm

Totally trying this tonight!

79. Isy Kennedy
    June 10, 2013 / 11:02 pm

I found this post yesterday as I have frizzy/wavy hair and nothing I did (excluding the use of heat) would make it look nice. I have just woken up and this has worked wonders for me! It’s still slightly damp and I have no idea how it will last for me but this has been really useful. Thank you

• June 10, 2013 / 11:11 pm

Great! So glad to hear it’s working for you. To get the best results though, you want to make sure your hair is completely dry when you let it down. I suggest letting it dry a little more before you twist it up for the night. Good luck! xoxo

80. Boo
    June 1, 2013 / 8:15 am

I’ve started having showers at night because it’s winter and it’s cold and bleck so I needed a way to keep my if-you-sleep-on-me-I-will-look-like-a-mammoth hair in check whilst I slept on it before school. I used bobby pins as I have none of those clampy things but it worked a charm. I have mid-boob length hair and this looked spectacular! Near the end of the day my hair had just worn back into it’s normal style which I don’t mind because this gave me awesome hair for about 10-12 hours 😀

• June 3, 2013 / 9:18 am

Great job! Thanks for letting me know how it turned out. Have a great week! Also, if you’re on Instagram, tag me! I’d love to see pics.

• June 3, 2013 / 9:16 am

I prefer clips because bobby pins won’t hold my thick hair well. Depends on how thick or thin your hair is. But I’d be careful cause bobby pins can leave dents in your hair. Good luck!

81. Jessica
    May 13, 2013 / 5:12 pm

Could you use this method with wet hair and blow dry the twists in place? I wash my hair in the mornings so I don’t have time to air dry it. Thanks!

• May 14, 2013 / 11:31 pm

If you don’t mind using heat… I would suggest drying your hair until it’s slightly damp. Then I would twist and use the dryer to dry your hair while in the twists. You’ll have to continue twisting while your hair dries, but you should get good results. As I’ve mentioned before… the key to this trick is having the hair FINISH drying while in the twists. Hope this makes sense! Good luck!

82. Laura
    May 6, 2013 / 10:05 am

what would you recommend for medium length hair? I have hair just past my shoulders.

• May 6, 2013 / 9:50 pm

It might be difficult for you to get your hair in twists… I suggest trying more clips, but this method probably works best with a little longer length hair. thank you for visiting and I hope you’ll let me know how it turns out.

• May 9, 2013 / 1:55 pm

I did it last night with some success. I actually did 4 twists, two on the sides and two in the back. I think this was too many because the curls came out too small, not wavy. I will try only two twists like you suggest.

83. Carly
    May 5, 2013 / 2:47 pm

You’re awesome. Period. I have pretty thick, wavy-ish hair and whenever I tried to bring the waves out more with less of the frizziness, it would never work. And trust me, I try a new technique every week.I found this and figured it was worth a try. THANK YOU SO MUCH. my hair looked really nice and defined! Thanks so much!

84. May 4, 2013 / 6:33 pm

I tried it, but my hair came out looking crimpy. I have thin, layered hair, so you suggest looser twists? I also don’t know if my hair was too damp. I waited until it wasn’t dripping anymore, but could it still have been too damp? Thanks!

• May 6, 2013 / 9:57 pm

If you have thin hair, I’d try with almost dry hair… a little drier than damp. And looser twists may be a good idea. I hope you get better results with these tips. Let me know!~

85. Kaylee
    April 29, 2013 / 1:49 pm

just found this today! looks great, but just a question. Will this work on curly hair? My hair is pretty curly and i just want nice waves ( like in the photo above ) will it still work??

• May 1, 2013 / 7:03 pm

Hi! It’ll definitely help tame, but won’t make your curly curls into loose waves. But worth a try! Good luck and lmk how it turns out!

• October 25, 2013 / 3:52 am

Kaylee I too have very curly hair. If you want more a looser curl/wave to the hair try the two strand twist. Google is your friend. 🙂

86. Jenna Mejia
    April 22, 2013 / 1:03 am

This works. But only if I DON’T sleep one the curls. If I just twist them into four sections and let them air dry it works perfectly fine!!! But I don’t have time to do that in the morning so I tried this but with bobby pins (overnight) and my whole head of hair came out looking frizzier than it normally does!!!!! What do I do?!?!?! Please note that I have A LOT of hair!! It’s not think by the individual hairs but all together it’s super thick!! I hate it 🙁

• April 22, 2013 / 8:28 am

I’d recommend the no slip clips (Links on post). Bobby pins leave dents and aren’t strong enough to hold your hair

87. Ali
    April 12, 2013 / 10:50 am

I tried this last night and it worked like a charm! I cheated a little this morning and had to curl two small sections that I must have slept on but it turned out great! Thanks for the tutorial!

88. AntoniA
    April 3, 2013 / 11:02 pm

I was wondering if I did this with dry hair and I made my hair a little wet, would this still work???

• April 4, 2013 / 9:18 pm

I imagine that the waves won’t have the long lasting hold of beginning with damp hair. I hope this makes sense! Thank you for visiting and commenting! Hope you’ll visit again soon. xo

89. Nicole
    April 2, 2013 / 10:22 am

Yours look PERFECT! I can’t figure it out still. I’ve tried this a few times and every time it ends up just looking like a mess. 🙁 I have pretty thin hair with layers. Please help! I’ve been heat free for a few weeks now and I’m running out of ideas!

• April 4, 2013 / 9:21 pm

Thanks for your comment. I think it’s harder when you have layers. Can you be more specific about the messy look? Are there dents? Are some parts curled and other parts not? Let me know. 🙂

90. Ashley
    March 30, 2013 / 7:05 pm

Do you think this would work if you used bobby pins to hold the twists instead of the clips?

• April 1, 2013 / 3:55 pm

HI, thanks for the question. I think it will work if the bobby pins are strong enough to hold all of your hair in place. I know that it wouldn’t work for me because I have thick/heavy asian hair, so I have to use the clips. One thing I’d watch out for using bobby pins is it leaving dents in the hair while it dries. Good luck!~

91. ShuggaMomma
    March 22, 2013 / 9:45 am

My curls came out really really curly .. Not wavy and pretty like yours
    /: i twisted it really tightly ! Like you said /: what happend?

• March 22, 2013 / 11:22 am

Everybody has different texture, thickness, length, and types of hair. Some take curls easily and some don’t…. I have Asian which tends to be thick and resistant to curls. I mention to twist well because I have too. If you have thinner or less coarse hair, twisting a little looser might help! Thx for trying and sharing your feedback!!! Good luck!

92. March 20, 2013 / 8:14 pm

I’m African American and I have thick hair do you think this will work for me?

93. Banner
    March 20, 2013 / 11:22 am

I’ve tried this twice now. The results are decent. I do get the curls but it’s a MESS if I leave it loose. So I just pull it all back in a low ponytail. Don’t know how you got the top half of yours looking so perfect.

My husband is a beach bum at heart. The first time I did this he went out of his way to compliment me on my hair THREE times. He’s a typical guy an usually doesn’t even notice my hair! Apparently he loves it looking “beachy.” 🙂

• March 20, 2013 / 12:44 pm

Think you must be getting better than ‘decent’ results if your hubby is loving the look!~ 😉 Try a ponytail during the day and then letting it loose at night. Your curls might have calmed down by then! Thanks for the comment and I hope you’ll try some of my other tutorials and DIYs!~ 😀

94. Tricia
    March 18, 2013 / 8:52 pm

I’m trying this tonight! Do you have naturally curly or straight hair? Mine is curly and these kibds of things usually leave it kinky or uneven. We’ll see…

95. Amy
    March 18, 2013 / 9:59 am

I have done this with my hair for the past few years but have used a loose bun on each side of my head. I’m always so happy with the results…at first. During the day my hair looses the curl and it looks messy. Do you have a recommendation for a product that helps to hold the curl?

96. Katelynne Fulcher
    March 17, 2013 / 4:54 pm

the twist is on top of my head as we speak..i really hope this works for school tomorrow 🙂

97. Luisa Perez
    March 17, 2013 / 1:48 pm

I am trying this tonight!!! I totally hope it works, I’ve always done the “sleep with braids” but doing that only gets half of my hair and I don’t like how obvious it looks!! I’ll take a picture of it in the morning and tag you on instagram! 🙂 my username is @required_desired

98. Sami
    March 16, 2013 / 9:23 pm

Do you think doing it with dry hair will also work?

• Anne
      March 19, 2013 / 12:34 pm

When I want to curl my dry hair I spritz my dry hair with water. Then do the twists and clips. Actually sometimes it works better than starting with clean hair because a little natural oil can help hold curls.

99. Marisa P
    March 15, 2013 / 3:06 pm

I have a LOT of hair, which is naturally wavy but always looks terrible in the morning, due to it being flattened on certain parts and “poofy” on other parts. I was hoping this would work for me, but I woke up with very tight curls. Would you suggest not twisting so tightly??

• March 15, 2013 / 4:42 pm

Maybe the “Twirl Tight” picture in step 1 confused us! Marisa, if you see my comment below, I too, got really tight curls!

• March 15, 2013 / 5:07 pm

Maybe! I twirled pretty tightly and got the results you see in the photos… Maybe it’s because I have Asian hair that usually resists waves and curls, so I had to twirl well to get the results I did… Good luck and let me know how it works with looser twists. 🙂

100. March 15, 2013 / 8:56 am

I tried this two ways…slightly damp, and dry. Woah, did it not work! :/ Do you think it is because I have thin hair? The curls were super curly. They kinda looked like when one does a braid and undoes it. I ended up just using a straightener to get rid of the curls 🙁

• March 15, 2013 / 9:25 am

Hi! Sorry you got too curly curls! It sounds like your hair might be a little too thin. I suggest rolling up paper towels and using that to twist with your hair. That will add body to the curls which will make them less curly. Thanks for the comment and let me know how this works!

• March 15, 2013 / 10:32 am

I looked up videos. I’ll try it. Confuses me that your first tutorial worked, and this one didn’t. I’ll keep trying though 🙂 Thanks for your prompt reply!

101. Amber
    March 14, 2013 / 5:20 pm

Omg! I just found you! Where have you been all my life?! I’ve been straightening my hair everyday for 4 years now (i’m 14 now) and I’ve been really wanting to grow my hair out! I have my hair pinned up now and I hope this works so that i can stop straightening my hair! Thank you! xx

102. March 14, 2013 / 4:18 am

This works! My hair looks great! Thanks so much!

103. Lacey
    March 12, 2013 / 11:07 pm

Tryin this tonight! Time to get some beauty sleep! : )

• March 13, 2013 / 1:39 am

Good Luck Lacey!~ If you’re on Instagram, please tag me (@prettygossip)… I’d love to see.

104. Tracy
    March 12, 2013 / 6:41 pm

I am definitely trying this sometime soon! I’ll let you know how it turns out!!

• March 13, 2013 / 1:39 am

So excited that you’re giving it a try. can’t wait to hear the report! xo

105. Yunah
    March 9, 2013 / 11:44 pm

Hi! I’m trying this right now. I wish that I had more hairclips! >< but I guess i just have to make do with what I have 🙂

Do you naturally have straight hair?

106. Linda
    March 8, 2013 / 2:07 pm

Mindy, I LOVE your hair!!! I’m going to try this out. You should host another beauty party. Had so much fun last time. ;)))

• March 8, 2013 / 2:27 pm

Thanks Linda!~ I want to host a party too… I wish Benefit or another company would sponsor it again. Hope you’re doing well. xo

107. March 8, 2013 / 2:07 pm

Smart! I love the wavy look, but with rollers- mine always come out frizzy, poofy or fro-like, then again, I don’t have naturally straight hair.(I straighten it once a week) Still, I hate the idea of having to damage my hair with more heat & if I use any product before styling…even the hottest heat won’t be tough enough for my hair. lol =) So thanks for posting this, I’ll have to try it out!

• Kim
        July 10, 2013 / 10:13 am

My hair turned out curlyish ;(