I hope you all had a great Memorial Day weekend. I spent the weekend surrounded by friends and family while remembering the men and women who died while serving in the country’s armed forces. So much to be thankful for.
I also went to Sephora and picked up the new Formula X Press Pod set. I first read an article about the Press Pods a couple months ago and was excited to finally see them on shelf.
Pop. Press. Paint. An effortless manicure. Anytime. Anyplace.
24 nail polish pod set each with 0.03 oz of polish. Available at Sephora for $39.
WHAT I LOVED:
- COVERAGE: I popped open Flashy which is the first red in the color chart below. With one coat, I had very good coverage. Almost all of the shades provide the great coverage you’d expect from Sephora’s Formula X.
- PORTABILITY: These are great for travel. Taking a couple of these on a vacation would be a great way to keep your polish fresh.
- VARIETY: You’re able to try many different shades without any commitment. 🙂 Definitely a great gift idea and for anyone who don’t own a ton of polish.
Flashy (bright red), Power Source (hot coral), Kelvin (hot tangerine), Invincible (warm vanilla), Unmistakable (pastel jade), Rocket Fuel (metallic graphite green), Prism (mermaid green pearl), High Frequency (bright turquoise), Continuum (sky blue), Omni (beach ball blue), Infamous (teal and purple metallic duochrome), Legend (maroon and rainbow metallic duochrome), Harmonics (deep lilac), Perfection (smoky violet), Pedal to the Metal (pearl violet), Heroic (lilac and gold metallic duochrome), Hercules (hot rose pink), Potent (carnation pink), Riotous (dark magenta), Outrageous (lavender mist), Gray Matter (charcoal gray), Extraordinary (iceberg gray), Need for Speed (metallic silver), and White Matter (opaque bright white).
WHAT I HATED:
- BRUSH: Hate to be a Debbie Downer, but the Pods had one of the worst brushes I’ve ever used. The brushes were uneven and stiff. Not to toot my own horn, but I’m pretty good at painting my own nails (here are some samples if you don’t believe me) 🙂 . Unfortunately, with these pod brushes, I couldn’t get a clean line around my cuticles.
- WASTEFUL: There was SO much product left in the pods after applying 2 coats on all 10 nails. Below is a picture where I’ve tried to capture how much product is left in the pod. Granted, I have tiny nails… I’d probably be able to use 1 pod on all my nails and toes. 🙂
- COST: Last but not least… $39 for a set of 24 average $1.63 a pop (pun intended). That’s a super high cost per use. To put that into perspective, let’s assume a regular polish runs $10 and you get 10 uses out of it. That’s $1 per use. Now we all know that for a full size polish, you’ll get more than 10 uses… probably much more than 20 uses which gets us to $0.50 per use. Compare that to $1.63 and you get the picture.
I love the idea of the Sephora Formula X Press Pods and think they’re great for travel and as a gift idea. Having said that, I wouldn’t repurchase because I’d rather spend the $39 on buying a few polishes that I know I’ll use over and over.
I hope this review has been helpful!