I’ve been using Clinique’s Moisture Surge on and off for years… over 10 years actually! It’s like an old friend that you can count on to provide comfort. That’s how my skin feels about this product. It’s an oldie, but a goodie.
When I saw that Clinique came out with a Moisture Surge Intense… I picked one up immediately. Fast forward almost a year and I’m finally sharing my thoughts with you. 😉
I’ve always loved Moisture Surge for its light gel like texture. The formula is so light and absorbs instantly into the skin.
You can see that the new intense formula is thicker in consistency and leans more to a cream consistency even though Clinique still refers to it as a gel-cream. The original formula is very much a gel and super light.
Here are some of my thoughts….
- For dry skin: I highly recommend both formulas for dry skin. I like to use the original formula under my regular moisturizer. It gives me an added boost of hydration helping my skin look plump and healthy. My skin loves the way it feels and I love the way I look. Win, win. 🙂
- For oily skin: Both formulas are oil-free so no worries there. You’ll probably enjoy both formulas as a stand alone moisturizer. If you’re really oily, you’ll love the original and the if you’re combination to oily, you’ll enjoy the intense version. Unlike me, you won’t need to add another moisturizer on top because you’ll get enough hydration from the formula alone.
- Main difference: Not sure if Clinique meant to do this, but it seems like they’ve positioned the original formula as a hydrating booster (meant to be used in addition to a moisturizer) and the new intense formula as a stand alone moisturizer for dry to combination skin.
- As a mask: For an added boost of hydration, apply and leave on for 5 minutes. Then gently blot off any excess.
- After sun care: After a day out in the sun, use the original formula to soothe and cool your skin. Simply put the original gel formula in the fridge for about 15 minutes before applying to the skin. Your skin will thank you. I promise. Feels soooooo good.
- Something to consider: Both formulas are simply for hydration. It doesn’t have any long term anti-aging properties so if you’re looking for that, you’ll have to use a serum before and/or an anti-aging moisturizer after.
- Final thoughts: I love the original formula. My thirsty dry skin literally drinks it up like a glass of water. I have sensitive skin and it has never irritated my skin which is great. Clinique’s Moisture Surge has been a staple in my makeup cabinet for over 10 years and I highly recommend this product.
I hope this review has been helpful. Please let me know in the comments below if you’ve tried this product. What were your thoughts?