Today is a first for Pretty Gossip (and maybe even the Internet)! I’m starting a series of reviews focused on feminine hygiene products. Yes. I’m going there.
I’ve wanted to do a review series on pantiliners/panty liners, pads, tampons and feminine wipes for years! Ever since I started blogging actually! When I shared my idea to friends, other bloggers, and editors… I got responses ranging from intrigue to disgust.
An editor of a very popular online magazine (who shall remain nameless), unenthusiastically told me, “maybe there’s a reason why people don’t write reviews on the topic.” Unfortunately, I let her comment get to me and I sat on my idea for years.
After years of hesitation, I’m finally doing it. Why you ask?! 2 reasons.
- Why not? No one else is doing it. I might as well. 🙂 I review everything else related to beauty, why not pads and tampons? I hope that my reviews will help women select the sanitary products that are right for them, making their time of the month a little more comfortable.
- When I was younger, I remember being so shy and embarrassed about the topic that I didn’t ask questions or explore my options of products. I hope to help young girls explore all of the product options and get comfortable with the topic as well as their body.
Today’s focus is on Always Radiant Pantiliners. In future posts, I will be reviewing other pantiliners/panty liners, pads, tampons, and even feminine wipes. By the way… I’ve noticed that some brands spell it panty liners and others spell it as pantiliner. For this review, I’ll be switching back and forth… but Always seems to stick to Pantiliners.
I promise to keep my reviews tasteful but if this topic is too gross or uncomfortable for you, no worries. Please stop reading now. 😉
For the rest of you, here we go!!!
“Always Radiant Liners keep you feeling fresh every day! They’re 3X more absorbent. And they feature a CleanGuard™ Quilted Core that absorbs wetness and odors to help you stay feeling confident. Plus, their stay in-place design moves with you for amazing comfort. For a clean feeling every day of the month, try Always Radiant Liners.” Box of 54 available for about $4. Available at Target.
PACKAGE: The box is shiny and pretty. 🙂 The box calls out “3x more absorbent.” When I read the fine print… it read “than before.” Since I don’t have the “before” versions, I can’t really speak to whether they really are 3x more absorbent or not. Guess we’ll have to take their word for it.
The back of the box calls out the following:
- Say in place design moves with you for amazing comfort
- CleanGuard Quilted Core absorbs wetness and odors
- A panty-like feel you’ll love
- Ideal for light flow days, tampons back-up, and an everyday clean feeling
SIZE: I measured the liner below so that we can have a reference point for the upcoming panty liner reviews. This one is a little shy of 5.5 inches. Please note I’m only measuring the absorbent portion of the panty liner. The Quilted Core is about 3 inches in length.
TEXTURE: The top layer of the pad is soft and quilted. It does not have the dry weave that Always is famous for. Quite frankly, I don’t like dry weave so I was happy.
WRAPPING: The pantliner is not individually wrapped. The box contained 54 unwrapped, unfolded pantiliners. Great for home use, not for travel or for your purse.
ADHESIVE: Below, are two photos of the bottom of the pad. The backing is easy to peel off. I’ve marked where the adhesive stops lengthwise (front to back). In terms of side to side, the adhesive covers edge to edge.
ABSORPTION: I used a teaspoon of water (tinted blue with food dye) to see how quickly the water would absorb. What I saw was unexpected!
Immediately: The puddle of water separated into two huge beads of water and just sat there. The liner did not absorb the water. What the heck?! Why wasn’t it absorbing? Below is a closer looks at the beads of water.
After 3 minutes : Below, you can see that puddle A had absorbed, but puddle B just sat there. When I ran my fingers across where puddle A had been, it felt pretty dry to the touch. Just a slight dampness.
After 4 minutes: Puddle B had not absorbed and was moving more towards the edge of the liner. I finally dabbed the puddle with a tissue. The pad was completely dry to the touch where puddle B had been. Very strange.
- Good size without being too small.
- Adhesive backing was easy to remove.
- Soft top layer.
- Not individually wrapped, so not travel/purse friendly.
- I’m puzzled as to why puddle B didn’t absorb even after 4 minutes. It was as if the pantiliner had a coating on the top layer and the liquid couldn’t be absorbed.
I have other pantiliner/panty liner reviews coming soon. I’m interested to see how Always compares to other brands. Please subscribe for emails or follow me on your favorite social media to keep up to date with my reviews on this topic. More pantiliners/panty liners, pads, tampons and feminine wipe reviews coming up! Stay tuned.
I hope you’ve enjoyed this review and it has been helpful. If you have a favorite feminine hygiene product, please leave me a comment below.