Korean Beauty Trend Alert! – Splash Mask

Hi Lovelies! Have you heard of a splash mask, also known as patting mask? This is a new Korean beauty trend and I wondered if it was really worth the hype or just another marketing gimmick. I needed to find out. 🙂  I picked up a Blithe Energy Citrus and Honey Patting Water Pack and rushed home to try it!

korean-blithe-splash-mask

Blithe Energy Yellow Citrus & Honey Splash Mask: An innovative way to mask, this citrus-infused liquid treatment is applied in the shower to reveal smooth, glowing skin. Inspired by the Korean bathhouse tradition of splashing botanical steeped water onto the face after cleansing to tone and brighten skin, splash masks are a game-changing in-shower treatment. Just splash and pat onto the face for results in as little as 15 seconds. This liquid mask treatment delivers traditional moisturizing benefits along with gentle exfoliation. Formulated with a lactic acid blend and enriched with botanical extracts, the Energy Yellow Citrus & Honey Splash Mask reveals smoother skin and leaves the face feeling refreshed and glowing. It’s formulated with citrus extracts and honey, aiding in brightening and energizing dull, tired skin.
Available at Sephora for $45.

blithe-splash-mask

There’s 2 ways to use a splash mask. I’ve tried both methods multiple times and here are my thoughts!

Method 1: In Shower

  • How To: According to the packaging, while you’re in the shower, pour a capful of Splash Mask. Splash and pat on the face, avoiding the eye and lip area.  Rinse off with water. Repeat a few times.
  • My Thoughts: The directions seem easy enough… until you try it. Imagine you’re in the shower. You pour the mask into the cap. In one hand, you have the filled cap. the other hand you have the bottle. After setting down the still opened bottle, I poured the capful of product into my one free hand. Needless to say, most of the product spilled through my hand(s). I like to close bottles before moving on, especially when I’m in the shower because I don’t want humidity or water to get into my product. In one hand, I now have the mask and am frantically trying to “hold” in my hand, while I try to put the cap back onto the bottle. I fail, so I end up putting the cap down next to the bottle. I use both hands at this point to try to splash my face with the mask. With one splash, everything is gone. Now I have to repeat this?! I don’t like. I don’t like the fuss and I really didn’t like the bitter taste. At $45 a bottle, it seems like an expensive splash.

Method 2: In Bowl

  • How To: Pour a capful of Splash Mask into a clean bowl of water. The ideal ratio of mask to water is 1:100, so a capful requires 700ml or 24 fl oz of water. Stir with finger tips, then splash generously onto face for a few seconds. Instead of towel drying, gently pat the excess mask into your skin. No need to rinse.
  • My Thoughts: I tried this method a few times and while I like it better than the shower method, I still didn’t love the experience. I also didn’t see a huge benefit. Also, the taste is so bitter. No, I’m not opening my mouth trying to taste it, but the taste creeps in. I don’t have any problems with tasting other cleansers, so not sure why this keeps getting in my mouth.

Overall, I’m not sold on these Splash Masks. I love sheet masks, and I thought that splash masks might be the next big thing in masks… but I don’t think so. 🙁 Let me know if you’ve tried any splash masks that you liked! I’m open to giving them another chance!

Please come say hello!
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest | Bloglovin

snapcode
Follow:

2 Comments

  1. Brandi
    September 12, 2016 / 10:08 am

    When I first read this heading I thought to myself “so it is a toner?” And then when you went on to describe the application I thought it sounded tough just as you experienced. I would be interested in these formulas if they can be applied with a cotton ball like a typical toner. I wonder if they can be pre-diluted with water so that or a mist application would work? Anyhow I completely agree with you that splashing my face and avoiding the eye and mouth areas is not going to happen.

    • September 12, 2016 / 10:13 am

      Hi! Thanks for reading and your comment! I don’t think you can use it as a toner because it was very concentrated. You can smell and taste that it’s concentrated and meant to be diluted. Maybe you can dilute and use in a most bottle like you mentioned! That might work, but I would recommend diluting…. A lot. 😉